?? OEM parts inferior to Retail parts

Old October 26th 03, 05:58 AM
scooby

Default ?? OEM parts inferior to Retail parts

The www.velocitymicro.com website claims OEM parts are inferior to
Retail parts.

Is this true?

See below from http://www.velocitymicro.com/retail_vs_oem.php :

"All computer chips are produced in volume on large silicon wafers,
then individual chips are trimmed from the wafer and used to make
complete components, such as Pentium® processors, graphics cards,
modems, network cards, or motherboard chipsets.

In every production yield of chips, from Pentium processors to video
chips or modem controllers, some chips simply run faster or perform
better. It's just how the silicon formed in the wafer. Manufacturers
must test every single chip to determine it's capabilities, and sort
the products into different classes or categories.

The best performing parts demand premium pricing, and are typically
packaged in a retail box with beautiful graphics and shrink wrap to be
sold in computer stores at the higher markup. The slowest or poorest
performers demand a lower price, and are sold in bulk to the large
Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM's), who can claim to be using
the same part or model of product as the retail boxed product, but
actually they have a lesser version.

This is the dirty little secret the larger manufacturers don't want
the consumer to know. The only time the big guys use the premium parts
is when they are submitting systems to be tested or reviewed by a
computer magazine. Those computers get all retail parts, plus
hand-built assembly and tweaking to get the best possible test results
in the magazine review.

Wouldn't it be fantastic if consumers could get a hand-built computer
with premium boxed components instead of OEM parts? You can! Velocity
Micro builds every single VELOCITY Series computer as if it were going
to be shipped to a computer magazine for review, but the real review
comes from our customer when they boot our system.

We use many retail boxed components because they offer so many
advantages over OEM parts, even though they cost a premium. "
Old October 26th 03, 06:20 AM
John J. Burness

scooby wrote:
[...]

Ask yourself the Questions:-
1 Who wrote it??
2 Was it by an unbiased Author or was it by someone promoting a Product?
3 What Product were they promoting??

Also ask yourself:-
1 What percentage of Computer Parts go to the OEM Market? (Make a guess
- 70%, 80%, 90%??)
2 Does it seem likely that 80%+ (guess) of components are slow or poor
performers??

The reason why Retail items are a lot dearer is simply because they are
sold in ones & twos, they require a fancy box & they require a lot of
printed information, as well as a large support set-up!!

Just my two-pence worth!!

Regards,
John

Old October 26th 03, 07:59 AM
Sylvain Lafontaine

This statement is both true and false.

Intel and others manufacturers indeed test their chips under various
conditions of temperature and clock speeds. The better ones are considered
to be of military grade and are sold as such to militaries and industries
with harsh operating conditions. The next ones are for industries with are
less stringent but nonetheless have special conditions.

But for the bulk of people, the ordinary grade is sufficient and a chip
which is guaranted by Intel (and others manufacturers) to be properly
working at its specified clock speed under normal operating conditions will
do it. If the tests show that a CPU is unable to substain its nominative
speed, then Intel will usually downgrade it to a lower speed, for exemple
from 2.8 to 2.6GHz, but in no case will Intel sell it at its unreliable
speed with a lower price.

If the problem come from a restricted temperature range of operation, then
yes, Intel may sell it at a lower cost to a less scrupulous retailer.

But unless you are planning to overclock your CPU and/or lower the speed of
the fans to make them less noisy, you shouldn't see any difference beetween
the various grades and the OEMs should be as fine as the retail versions
and, in fact, the OEM that you will buy will be usually of the same quality
as the retail boxes.

When the CPU in a PC stop because its sensors detect a too high temperature,
the problem come from the various cooling devices, not from the CPU itself.
After all, when the sensors inside a PC detect a overheat problem, they will
stop any CPU which may be installed, whatever it is a OEM or a retail CPU.

Unless you are overclocking, a faulty CPU is a very rare problem.

S. L.

om...

Old October 26th 03, 11:24 AM
Joan

The last paragraph tells it all. Use many ... not ALL. I buy OEM hard
drives from Western Digital and Seagate. The only difference between
OEM and Retail are installation disks and cables/rails (Dell has extra
rails attached in case) and you can download software from Mfg. site.

Strange, my Dim 8300 (refurbished) P4 3.0 with 128 meg ATI Radeon 9800
OEM video card after installing latest drivers from ATI site indicates
in the device manager it is now a radeon 9800 Pro and this system and
video card plays the game Halo perfectly. Maybe the only difference in
Video Cards and Sound cards (retail) is you get extra software and some
games.

If I buy retail, I want to register with the Mfg. This velcocitymicro
site doesn't even tell me much about about the system I'm getting or
decent size pictures of what the internal of the system looks like, but
oh so eloquent about how the systems is put together and tested.
-----------------

Old October 26th 03, 01:02 PM
lhorwinkle

Yeah sure.
And Listerine cures colds.
And Colgate whitens 57% better.
And if you drink Bud Lite you'll get laid more.
Do you believe those?

om...

Old October 26th 03, 08:20 PM
WSZsr

Yes, no difference at all.

Old October 28th 03, 05:16 PM
George

Pure BS. Manufacturers do test and sort parts based on the speed they will
run at. That is why you see 2.4 GHz and 3.06 GHz Pentium 4s...you didn't
really think they made different masks for each speed did you? Assuming the
speed rating is the same, you are buying equivalent quality. What IS
different between OEM and consumer products is packaging, accessories
included, and support. Most consumer products assume the consumer isn't
savvy enough to properly and adequately dissipate heat from the CPU so that
is done for the consumer and the consumer pays for that convenience. Also,
consumer products are in ESD packaging INSIDE a box that is shrink wrapped,
so you should be fairly certain (there are heat shrink tunnels for sale on
eBay) on how the CPU was handled. Finally, you are paying (in the case of
the consumer product) for a longer warranty and it is provided by the CPU
manufacturer. Most OEM parts have no warranty except whatever the seller
decides to provide so that he can move the product at a price somewhat close
to that of the consumer product.

om...