Compaq Proliant 5500R- Smart Array 3200 Controller to slow ?

Old September 8th 06, 12:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Sebastian Gödecke

Default Compaq Proliant 5500R- Smart Array 3200 Controller to slow ?

Hi,
first of all, sorry for my bad english. I use it not often, so some
words may be not right.

I've got a Compaq Proliant 5500R with 4xPIII Xeon's with 550 Mhz an
3,4 Gig of RAM. The Compaq Smart Array controller 3200 is at PCI bus
5 or 6 and has two Array: A is a raid 5 with three scsi drives. one of
them is not equal with the other both, but has the same capacity ( 2
uw2 an 1 uw3) . Array B is a raid 0 with 6 drives of 9.1 Gb . The OS
is on Array A (i tested with Ubuntu-Server, Suse linux 10.1, Suse
Linux enterprise Server 10) . I did a benchmark with "bonnie" with a
filesize of 1 gb and hdparm with options -tT -s 1000 . Both of them
gave with a througput of ca 16 -17 MB/s . I did it first from Array A
to B and then only A. The Controller was configured with smartstar and
has had these preferences: 50% read/ 50% write. I changed this
yesterday to 75% read /25% write.
I haven't had an benchmark with these actual values, but i want to
ask, if there is an big mistake with that configuration . Or could it
be an driver problem with the "cpqarray" ?

I don't knew, what further is to do.

Sebastian
Old September 8th 06, 04:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

"Sebastian Gödecke" wrote in message
[...]

You might be able to improve your performance by changing the array's stripe
size from 16K (default) to 64K. I dont think the SA3200 supports 128K or
256K. The sustained I/O of 16-17M/s seems a little low to me, but with 3
drives in a R5, you really cant expect *that* much more. You would
definitely experience a performance boost from using an SA5300 (you can find
them cheap on eBay) with it wider data path and faster cache memory. 64M min
cache is required for ADG (advanced data guarding) configurations. This is
basically an integrated spare, where parity is written to 2 disks in the
set. When using ADG, you do not take the performance hit when a drive
degrades, or has to rebuild when a bad drive is replaced.

For optimal performance, I would use the following configuration:

SA5300 controller and the duplex drive cage option.
Cable each channel of the 5300 to each port on the back of the drive cage.
Create an ADG set (to replace the R5 set you have now) with the 53000 using
4 drives in positions 0 and 1 on both sides of the cage.
Create a R0 set with your 9GB drives, filling the slots equally between the
two sides of the cage. you should have 0 slots free when you are done, as
the U2/U3 cage supports 10 drives.

The idea here is that you are spreading the I/O across the channels on the
array controller, which has the effect of theoretically doubling the
throughput of the array sets. In reality, you wont seen an exact doubling of
the performance, but you will see a marked improvement.

For optimal results, your drives should be matched for type, capacity, and
rotational speed.

Also make sure that your controllers have the latest firmware and drivers.

Let us know if you need anything else

- LC

Old September 9th 06, 05:26 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Sebastian Gödecke" wrote in message
Hi,
first of all, sorry for my bad english. I use it not often, so some
words may be not right.

I've got a Compaq Proliant 5500R with 4xPIII Xeon's with 550 Mhz an
3,4 Gig of RAM. The Compaq Smart Array controller 3200 is at PCI bus
5 or 6 and has two Array snip

I don't see any mention of firmware on here. Do make sure that you've
updated the firmware and are running at the latest version

i tested with Ubuntu-Server, Suse linux 10.1, Suse Linux enterprise Server
10

This may help with drivers. I'm not a Linux boffin BTW, but I would suggest
that you may get further with Suse 9 and the official Proliant Support Pack
for a later Proliant server, as HP don't seem to be supporting Suse 10 yet.

ProLiant Support Pack for SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/24757.html

Old September 10th 06, 03:43 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jeffrey Alsip

Jez T wrote:
I'm not a Linux boffin BTW

What is a "boffin"?

Old September 10th 06, 06:43 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Sebastian Gödecke

On Sat, 9 Sep 2006 18:26:30 +0200, "Jez T"
wrote:

"Sebastian Gödecke" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

well, i've changed now the array's: onlay one array wth 9 same scsi
drives running a RAID 0. and now the througput is less than before.
all other PCI card on this system are offline, so they couldnt
decrease this parameters.

But this support pack is not for the Compaq Proliant 5500R. only ML
and these Servers.
Now i'm trying to get an Smart Array 5300 by ebay; maybe it works with
this faster as it is now.

But one question: could you tell me, which components could worsen
my System?
4xP3 Xeon with 550 Mhz
3,4 Gig RAM with dimm 70ms
or maybe there are some bad settings in bios,

regards
Sebastian
Old September 10th 06, 06:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

wrote:

"Sebastian Gödecke" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

is the memory Compaq? That system should only run 60ns or 50ns EDO, not
70ns. Have you updated the NVRAM by running the SCU (system configuration
utility)? How about the Raid Stripe Size? If you are doing more reading than
writing, and ESP if you are running a DB server of any type, your
acceleration policy should be 100%read, 0% write.

Did you set your System Type under the SCU to, UnixOtherLinux? Do you see
all 4 Proc's in your OS?

Have you confirmed proper SCSI termination on your channels?

The support packs arent "that" specific to the model. I have had to lift
utilities for models other than the system which were being run. For
example, I always pull the PSP for the ML series (2000,2003) for updates to
my old PL800. Works fine.

- LC

Old September 10th 06, 07:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Sebastian Gödecke

wrote:

[...]

okay, it could be 50 or 60 ns, i bought them by ebay with original
compaq label, and they are same as the modukes are already in there.

i've updated with smartstart, but my "firmware 7.3 and 7.2 wont start
for update . Or wait, it started an it runs to the point where you can
choose your favorite update prozess, and then REBOOT. when i do
nothing and let the cd start with "firmware cd" it takes a short time,
and the system will do a reboot with out any user intervention.
- Proper scsi termintation: i couldn't see any prefs for this point.
and what about termintation the scsi drives? must i set an id for the
drives? or does the controller solve this already alone?

oh ****, maybe this could be the error: i don't set up the scsi-id ?
and the endtermination too? i know that some Scsi RAID controllers do
this automaticly

regards
Old September 10th 06, 07:13 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Nut Cracker

news

wrote:

"Sebastian Gödecke" wrote in message
m...
[...]

the drives get thier ID from the drivecage/backplane. Nothing to set on the
devices themselves. As for the termination, I was thinking more about the
proper controller daughter board, and good self terminating cable. Also,
that the drive cage has the correct passthrough/duplex module at the bottom,
back of the cage.

If the FW CD boots, and scans for updateable devices, but says there are
none ... then yer done. everything is up to date. Your SA3200 should be at
4.50, that much i know off the top of my head. The 5300's are up to 3.56 i
believe. I have 3 of those and i really, really like them. The 3200 used to
be my controller of choice, and then the 5300's started to become cheap and
plentiful ... ahhh, i love ebay !

If you have another SCSI Cable, you might want to give that a try. You may
be suprised ...

- LC

Old September 10th 06, 11:51 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Jeffrey Alsip" wrote in message

Jez T wrote:
I'm not a Linux boffin BTW

What is a "boffin"?

Someone between a geek and a guru in a fairly british sort of way. Applies
to technical or accademic positions. The BBCs sound engineer would be
classed as a boffin, as could a professor of history.

Old September 10th 06, 11:58 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq.servers
Jez T

"Sebastian Gödecke" wrote in message
ProLiant Support Pack for SUSE LINUX Enterprise Server 9
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/24757.html

But this support pack is not for the Compaq Proliant 5500R. only ML
and these Servers.

I suggested that because it's a standard catch-all solution in Windows. You
can install the Windows Proliant Support Pack on any server (except the
Proliant 100 range), and the correct drivers will be updated.

Applying the same logic to Linux, I would expect that any drivers that do
need updating will be updated through this PSP. If it does not find the
relevent HW that it has drivers for, it just won't install the driver.

Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 17th 04 12:49 PM
Compaq FAQ HH Compaq Computers 0 October 10th 04 12:49 PM
RAID Array "Off Line" on P4C800-E Deluxe macleme Asus Motherboards 4 September 1st 04 07:22 PM
Compaq ready to go Jazzy Ban Compaq Computers 0 October 14th 03 02:54 PM