xfx PCI-e Geforce 6800 GT

Old August 15th 05, 09:55 PM
Humphrey_Bogart

Default xfx PCI-e Geforce 6800 GT

Hi All,
I have just rebuil my machine with the following.....

Asus A8N-E motherboard
AMD 64 3500+ Venice
XFX Geforce 6800gt Graphics (77.77 drivers)
2X512GB Ram
80GB hd
Pioneer dvd RW
Tagan PSU

but I only have a CRT monitor at the moment.
My problem is (if it is really a problem) I can get my desktop to refresh at
85hz but when I start playing games no matter what res I put the game on it
only refreshes at 60hz. Now Im getting used to playing with it like this,
But was wondering with such a resonable set up shouldnt I be able to get
better hz in games ? Or is it down to the fact that I only have a crt
monitor (which is plugged into the graphics card via a DVI - VGA converter.
I have also tried nVidia Refresh Rate Fix MKII but it just says my graphics
card is capable of doing it its self (or something along those lines).
Any help or advice on this matter would be most appreciated.
Thanx
HumphreyB

Old August 15th 05, 10:21 PM
Andrew

"Humphrey_Bogart" wrote in message
[...]

Your monitor can only use certain refresh rates at certain resolutions. Are
you playing the games in the same resolution as your desktop?

Another point is that as far as I am aware refresh rate isn't an issue in
TFT / flat panels so whatever setting is applied probably won't be
communicated to the DVI connector anyway.

Andy

Old August 16th 05, 12:46 AM
Humphrey_Bogart

Thanx for your response Andrew you said what I half expected,

Before when I was using my G4 my monitor connected straight to it (no
converter).
and I could get 100hz in games,
Its just with me being able to set my desktop to whatever Hz I want (85 at
present)I cant understand why that doesn't carry out into the games and I
only get 60 which do seem to be a bit flashy compared to 85hz....
But like you said it maybe something to do with the fact that I am
converting from DVI to VGA,
Although in my settings somewhere I did notice it said my display monitor
was VGA so it knows That its not a TFT/Flat panel.

Old August 16th 05, 02:23 AM
First of One

"Humphrey_Bogart" wrote in message
Before when I was using my G4 my monitor connected straight to it (no
converter). and I could get 100hz in games,

The quirk is specific to Win2K/XP. Your G4 Mac obviously isn't affected.
Win98 did not exhibit this behavior, either. By the same token, ATi cards
under XP also has this quirk.

Its just with me being able to set my desktop to whatever Hz I want (85 at
present)I cant understand why that doesn't carry out into the games and I
only get 60 which do seem to be a bit flashy compared to 85hz....

Yes, it's bad for your eyes.

But like you said it maybe something to do with the fact that I am
converting from DVI to VGA,

No, nothing to do with the connection. There are four analog pins on the
video card's DVI port. When you hook up a CRT to the DVI port through an
adapter, only those four pins are used. The effect is the same as using a
normal 15-pin D-sub VGA connector.

In the nVidia control panels, look in the area where you select the type of
monitor used on each of the ports (CRT, TFT, TV video-out, etc.). There
should be a drop-down box to select the refresh rate.

Another option is to go to Start - Run - type "dxdiag". Browse to the last
tab and go to "refresh rate override". I'm not sure if this works for OpenGL
games, though.

Old August 16th 05, 11:41 PM
Humphrey_Bogart

Hi Guys,
Thanx for your responses I did eventually find a tool that would force
refresh rates to what I wanted NVRefreshtool 2.1a and you can get it at
cheers
HumphreyB