Windows 98 SE bootup CD

Old July 10th 11, 03:03 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Menno Hershberger

Default Windows 98 SE bootup CD

Once upon a time I had A CD that would boot up just like the Win98SE
startup disk did.
I can't find it and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create one.
I have a computer I want to use FDISK to change the active partition on so
the restore partition will be active. I've done this several times with
FDISK. I have a USB floppy drive here with a 98SE startup disk in it, but I
can't get the BIOS to boot to it, Surely I should be able to download an
ISO image of a Win98 startup disk somewhere! Anyone have an idea where?

--
-- I'm out of white ink --

Old July 10th 11, 03:19 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Pen

On 7/9/2011 10:03 PM, Menno Hershberger wrote:
Once upon a time I had A CD that would boot up just like the Win98SE
startup disk did.
I can't find it and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create one.
I have a computer I want to use FDISK to change the active partition on so
the restore partition will be active. I've done this several times with
FDISK. I have a USB floppy drive here with a 98SE startup disk in it, but I
can't get the BIOS to boot to it, Surely I should be able to download an
ISO image of a Win98 startup disk somewhere! Anyone have an idea where?

There are some here;
http://www.allbootdisks.com/download/98.html
Old July 10th 11, 04:22 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Grinder

On 7/9/2011 9:03 PM, Menno Hershberger wrote:
Once upon a time I had A CD that would boot up just like the Win98SE
startup disk did.
I can't find it and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create one.
I have a computer I want to use FDISK to change the active partition on so
the restore partition will be active. I've done this several times with
FDISK. I have a USB floppy drive here with a 98SE startup disk in it, but I
can't get the BIOS to boot to it, Surely I should be able to download an
ISO image of a Win98 startup disk somewhere! Anyone have an idea where?

If you can find a bootable floppy image, the rest is cake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVZMvGZjOWA

Old July 10th 11, 11:18 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Nobody > (Revisited)

On 7/9/2011 7:03 PM, Menno Hershberger wrote:
Once upon a time I had A CD that would boot up just like the Win98SE
startup disk did.
I can't find it and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create one.
I have a computer I want to use FDISK to change the active partition on so
the restore partition will be active. I've done this several times with
FDISK. I have a USB floppy drive here with a 98SE startup disk in it, but I
can't get the BIOS to boot to it, Surely I should be able to download an
ISO image of a Win98 startup disk somewhere! Anyone have an idea where?

If you can boot from CD/DVD, get (and install) a copy of EASUS
(free/'Home') Partition Master on another pooter.
http://www.partition-tool.com/ for info,
download at:
http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Part...-10863346.html

( http://peek.snipurl.com/16qh7q [download_cnet_com]

From that, go to the TOOLS menu. There will be at least one "Create
Bootable Disc" I don't remember if it is Linux or WinPE in the free
version, but either will work. (I have the Pro version, does both)

Partition-Master can do everything FDISK does and more, including
setting active partition(s), formatting, resizing... everything.

What's nice is it displays everything in a graphical format so that you
don't have to keep bouncing back to FDISK and rebooting, and also shows
you what your proposed plan will look like.

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping
Old July 10th 11, 02:46 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
John McGaw

On 7/9/2011 10:03 PM, Menno Hershberger wrote:
Once upon a time I had A CD that would boot up just like the Win98SE
startup disk did.
I can't find it and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create one.
I have a computer I want to use FDISK to change the active partition on so
the restore partition will be active. I've done this several times with
FDISK. I have a USB floppy drive here with a 98SE startup disk in it, but I
can't get the BIOS to boot to it, Surely I should be able to download an
ISO image of a Win98 startup disk somewhere! Anyone have an idea where?

Everybody needs to have this:

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

or this:

http://www.ubcd4win.com/

or maybe both in their emergency kit.
Old July 11th 11, 12:32 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
edfair[_79_]

Your burning software may allow creating an bootable CD and using your
bootable floppy as the source of the files for booting.

Old July 12th 11, 09:55 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
micky

On Sun, 10 Jul 2011 03:18:34 -0700, "Nobody (Revisited)"
wrote:

On 7/9/2011 7:03 PM, Menno Hershberger wrote:
Once upon a time I had A CD that would boot up just like the Win98SE
startup disk did.
I can't find it and I'm having a hard time figuring out how to create one.
I have a computer I want to use FDISK to change the active partition on so
the restore partition will be active. I've done this several times with
FDISK. I have a USB floppy drive here with a 98SE startup disk in it, but I
can't get the BIOS to boot to it, Surely I should be able to download an
ISO image of a Win98 startup disk somewhere! Anyone have an idea where?

If you can boot from CD/DVD, get (and install) a copy of EASUS
(free/'Home') Partition Master on another pooter.

As constant readers of every post in this ng might know, this program,
EASUS, is okay with empty parttions. but if Menno were to try to
change the size of parrttion with win98 in it, or move it, or merge
it, etc. it's pretty likely it would screw up the win98.

Its obvious documentation says it runs on XP and doesn't mention 95,
98 or ME. But its deeply buried documentation says not only won't it
run on those OSes it shoulln't be used on Win9x parttitions.

If only they had told me before I tried it. It would have saved me
several hours.

And btw, duringr the problem, I had dual boot and all the files were
legible from winXP. Binary ones essential to w98, I recopied from
another source. but it didn't help. Sys'ing the system didnt' help.

After I was able to boot to the win9 partition, I booted to DOS there
and found I could dos edit many files but there were others I couldn't
see, even though they were visible from XP. IIRC** finally
defragging again did it, but I don't know why.

From that, go to the TOOLS menu. There will be at least one "Create
Bootable Disc" I don't remember if it is Linux or WinPE in the free
version, but either will work. (I have the Pro version, does both)

Partition-Master can do everything FDISK does and more, including
setting active partition(s), formatting, resizing... everything.

The "more" is the problem. Resizing is all that I did. I made it
10% smaller when it was only 40% full, and I think I had run defrag to
empty out the portion I was removing. I know I was quite surprised
when the message at the bottom said it was moving data for a little
while. It may have been moving other, win9x-essetiall files.

**For people who want more of the story, try to google with my normal
from=name Right now my computer is
broken (not my harddrive though) and I'm using a temp computer with a
different name.)

Yes, NOPSAM, not NOSPAM. It was a typo at first, but then I thought
maybe spambots know about nospam.

Woujld have emailed too if there wree a decent address.

Old July 12th 11, 01:43 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Nobody > (Revisited)

wrote:

[...]

I found and read the same docs, but I suspect they meant running it as a
Windows executable (on XP or higher) on a drive containing a Win 9x
partition.

When run from the bootCD, I've done a couple of resizes/moves on 98
with with PM and had no problem, but I always make the partition have
plenty of free space.

If only they had told me before I tried it. It would have saved me
several hours.

And btw, duringr the problem, I had dual boot and all the files were
legible from winXP. Binary ones essential to w98, I recopied from
another source. but it didn't help. Sys'ing the system didnt' help.

After I was able to boot to the win9 partition, I booted to DOS there
and found I could dos edit many files but there were others I couldn't
see, even though they were visible from XP. IIRC** finally
defragging again did it, but I don't know why.

My recall of some of the "funky FAT32" issues in Win 98/98SE tech beta
(did both, got the Memphis T-shirt) are a little hazy (it's been 13+
years now).

But (from the private newsgroup(s) we had) IIRC the FAT tables get
really screwy when the partition is almost full and severely fragmented.
Some of the other testers were trying to keep multiple builds running by
using some other partition resizing tools and also trying to
"razor-edge" them down to minimum size (almost no free space). That same
problem you had showed up a few times under that scenario.

Doing a defrag while in full "MSDOS Mode" (not a dosbox) to gain some
free space seemed to fix this most times.

(Just as info, sometimes the group discussions on boot managers, imaging
apps and resizers were larger than the actual testing part)

From that, go to the TOOLS menu. There will be at least one "Create
Bootable Disc" I don't remember if it is Linux or WinPE in the free
version, but either will work. (I have the Pro version, does both)

Partition-Master can do everything FDISK does and more, including
setting active partition(s), formatting, resizing... everything.

The "more" is the problem. Resizing is all that I did. I made it
10% smaller when it was only 40% full, and I think I had run defrag to
empty out the portion I was removing.

Interesting.. why would you have to defrag a partition you are REMOVING?
That's a slam-nuke-done deal.

I know I was quite surprised
when the message at the bottom said it was moving data for a little
while. It may have been moving other, win9x-essetiall files.

What's nice is it displays everything in a graphical format so that you
don't have to keep bouncing back to FDISK and rebooting, and also shows
you what your proposed plan will look like.

Never used Easus stuff on anything earlier than XP as an installed
Windows program, but Partition-Master has handled quite a few rearranges
and drive moves of 98 for me *when done from the boot CD*
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's the point I was trying to make... use the boot CD instead of FDISK.

--
"**** this is it, all the pieces do fit.
We're like that crazy old man jumping
out of the alleyway with a baseball bat,
saying, "Remember me mother****er?"
Jim “Dandy” Mangrum

Garbled Bios Screen on bootup - Asus A8V - Issue with Matrox P650 - Windows Fix File Won't run John Smith Asus Motherboards 1 January 5th 06 11:09 AM
Garbled Bios Screen on bootup - Asus A8V - Issue with Matrox P650 - Windows Fix File Won't run John Smith Matrox Videocards 1 January 5th 06 11:09 AM
Slow Windows XP Pro SP2, bootup/startup GEO Homebuilt PC's 2 October 8th 05 09:53 PM
bootup HCRychener Dell Computers 0 May 6th 05 12:42 AM
bootup HCRychener Dell Computers 2 May 2nd 05 09:40 AM