win 98 installation

Old September 6th 06, 07:07 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Franc Zabkar

Default win 98 installation

I'm just following up this post to c.s.i.p.h.s (with the OP's
permission). Would anyone care to comment?

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 16:05:29 -0400, "MEB" meb@not
put finger to keyboard and composed:

IF the disk had NT5/XP NTFS used on it:

BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO REMOVE XP NTFS with a DOS program or using ANY DOS
techniques;;;;

DON'T!!!! YOU WILL NOT BE SUCCESSFUL unless you are an expert at doing so,
AND have the proper tools for disk manipulation and recovery!!!

DO NOT USE OLD DOS TECHNIQUES TO ATTEMPT REMOVAL OF NT5/XP NTFS.
This information is faulty and does not fully address the variables
associated with the NT5 - XP NTFS file system: it's encryption and
compression, hidden directories/folders, partitions (which the system
creates automatically) within partitions, "on the fly" CHS changes, and
other factors.

Put the disk back into the XP machine (if pulled from a different machine),
Note the below for attempting complete removal..

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303661/en-us 303661 - How to uninstall
Windows XP and revert to a previous operating system
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/303160/ 303160 - Uninstall Not Available
Error Message When You Upgrade to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/308233/ 308233 - How to start the Windows XP
uninstallation process from a command prompt
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/312569/ 312569- How to manually start the
removal process to remove Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314052/ 314052 - How to manually remove
Windows XP and then restore Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Millennium
Edition
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654/ 307654 - How to install and use the
Recovery Console in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305595/ 305595 - How To Create a Boot Disk
for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP
KB119467
Q103049
KB122221
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...c28621675.mspx
The above discusses certain variables, tools, and other which might be of
use for any NT5 - XP NTFS hard disk problems.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources

NOTE: even using these Microsoft techniques; NT5 - XP NTFS may not be fully
removed from the hard drive. Microsoft has numerous legal disclaimers
associated with the use of this file system, warning that it may be
unremovable or make the disk unusable..

- Franc Zabkar
Old September 6th 06, 10:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Aidan Karley

In article , Franc Zabkar wrote:
I'm just following up this post to c.s.i.p.h.s (with the OP's
permission). Would anyone care to comment?

On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 16:05:29 -0400, "MEB" meb@not
put finger to keyboard and composed:

IF the disk had NT5/XP NTFS used on it:

BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO REMOVE XP NTFS with a DOS program or using ANY DOS
techniques;;;;

[SNIP long list of standard techniques]

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources

NOTE: even using these Microsoft techniques; NT5 - XP NTFS may not be fully
removed from the hard drive. Microsoft has numerous legal disclaimers
associated with the use of this file system, warning that it may be
unremovable or make the disk unusable..

Sounds like another reason to not migrate to XP, not that I was planning
to anyway. Vista neither.

Who would try using a Microsoft product to remove a Microsoft product
anyway - you'd never know what the motivations of the code writers were ; for
example, would it be in Microsoft's interests to have people think that they
might damage hardware by removing Microsoft software products? Yes, because it
would add to the barriers against migration. Therefore Microsoft project
managers have a potential motivation to make it difficult or impossible to
remove Microsoft products.

Windows bootable hard disk (any version) to be used for some other
system. No need for and concerns about recovering data from the disc. Drop it
into a machine (preferably directly attached to the motherboard, not in an
external case), boot the machine with a Linux (or BSDx for that matter), run
fdisk/ cfdisk/ [the corresponding BSDx command], strip out and rearrange the
partitioning the way you want it for the disk's intended use. Format
partitions. Shutdown and take the disk away to it's new use.
Has anyone ever had this procedure fail on non-broken hardware?

Why was the /mbr switch of DOS fdisk not documented for so many years?

--
Aidan Karley, FGS
Aberdeen, Scotland

Old September 6th 06, 12:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Rod Speed

Franc Zabkar wrote:

I'm just following up this post to c.s.i.p.h.s (with the
OP's permission). Would anyone care to comment?

Its pure drivel if you just want to wipe the drive and start over.

clearhdd and a host of others will wipe the drive fine.

MEB meb@not wrote

Old September 6th 06, 09:04 PM posted to microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
MEB

(I'll place this under yours "Aidan Karley" [via demon.net] as you direct to
the Linux environment [see Knoppix reference below, and other references in
other presentations of mine], which I have at times. This isn't specifically
directed to you though, so you need not respond unless you wish to.):

It would be instrumental to the discussion to give prior background; again,
I'll not partake in the direct discussion (though once again I have),
however, this might bring more information to the thread from those that do.

I previously placed certain tools which might be of use, relating to hard
drives, such as WINHEX, and other "recovery" tools, which could have been
used to discredit my presentations (which I thought was rather generous as
one rarely sees this done), or support them.
Feel free to make your comments on any tools or information I have
directed to. DO NOT expect my response.

More "firewood", if you will, for the discussion. Note: there are
deliberate "leading" issues included. The ""normal" you don't get this or
that"" without supporting material isn't exactly useful.

It would also be condusive:
to include any forensic evidence concerning your presentations; and,
links to programs (if you reference any); and,
links to your sites or others which might contain relevant analysis
relating to your presentations, preferably complete forensic material and
the program used to produce it.

I will include these in my web pages (with full credit given to you and/or
links to your site/info) unless you state or indicate otherwise, provided,
of course, they are useful. The intend is to place forensic analysis
regarding certain tools and techniques used for "dealing" with the NT5 - XP
NTFS systems and hard disks [fdisking, formatting, wiping, erasing,
clearing, (you get the picture)], which have been placed upon the web.
Consider along the lines of debunking "urban legend/myth" via technical
data.
Note: I have differentiated various "Windows" OSs elsewhere, e.g. 2000,
2003, XP, etc., though this particular discussion obviously related to a XP
OS disk and installing Windows 98 after it's removal (a "how to")
[microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion].

BACKGROUND:

From: "MEB" meb@not

Subject: Unable to install Win98 SE
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 04:37:11 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
----

wrote:

| I see PCR finally is working WITH you, so I'll step back again.. just a
few
| comments below..
|

| "AuldPhart" wrote in message
| .. .
| | On Thu, 17 Aug 2006 01:39:59 -0400, "MEB" meb@not

| wrote:
| |
| | Hmm, no one seems to have answered the actual questions so, here's
some
| for
| | you..
| |
| | First question:
| |
| | How big is the drive? If over 137 gig, then foobar.
| |
| | The drive is 60 gig.
|
| As directed elsewhere, make your "Windows" partition small for faster
| scandisk and defrag...

| |
| | Second:
| | Is the Bios set to AUTO for your drives, or is it hard set/prior
| detected?
| | Set to Auto detect.
| |
| | It is set to Auto Detect.
|
| Good..

| |
| | Third:
| | Did you format the drive through XP or with the old fdisk and format
| routine
| | from DOS days.
| | If XP: reformat the drive via DOS boot disk. Scandisk it afterwards.
| |
| | I do the old fdisk and format.
| |
| | Fourth:
| | If it was previously used for something else AND you just deleted the
| stuff
| | and did not re-format through DOS, did you scandisk afterwards?
| |
| | Yes, It was previously used for something else. That's why I did
| | the old fdisk and format. FAT 32.
|
| Good. Wasn't XP NTFS was it?
|
| Yes it was, however, I did delete NON-DOS partitions.

Had to modify this as I didn't send it immediately, and others elsewhere
are helping, look at the end for some info..
----- original

Make SURE that those that help you realise it was previously "XP" NTFS with
it's "HIDDEN PROTECTED/SYSTEM AREAS" (MFT Records[$Mft], Hex17 Hidden NTFS
partitions, NTFS backup boot superblock, etc. - then of course dynamic drive
brings it's own problems), which MAY leave alot of problems residual on the
disk; which might now be "hard coded" and/or, since you have supposedly
wiped the old boot record, essentially "un-relocatable bad sectors"..
Scandisk likes to class them into "bad sectors" and leave your disk
severely limited (S.M.A.R.T. failures) due to fdisk apparent failure to
remove or even recognize them.. It's not unusual to find several hundred
megs of "lost" hard drive space within a "mis-handled disk". I would venture
to say, that many people don't realise they have lost some of their disk,
since SMART replaces (or attempts to replace) most of it,, maybe just a loss
of a "head" or un-explained early drive failure..

Microsoft appears to recommend Diskprobe, fsutil, Chkdsk, Dmdiag, Dskpart,
Fixmbr, Ftonline, for attempting to deal with XP/NT5 NTFS disks.

NTFS writes a duplicate of the boot sector in the following location:
At the end of the volume.
On volumes formatted with Windows XP Professional, Windows 2000, and Windows
NT 4.0.
At the logical center of the volume.
Which makes those "tools" which re-write/recover by using just the MBR and
old duplicate location, obsolete.. err, at least for XP/NT5.

So, as your the only one with access to the disk, you might want to check
the disk with some tools I mentioned elsewhere..
"MEB" meb@not
wrote in message
nothing will get me out of dos - microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion;
and it's addendum.

Or in short:
hard drive tools and recovery
http://www.cgsecurity.org/
Testdisk can be used to recover old MBR from backups on the hard disk and
recovery may work from there with this tool or others..
http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-6.3.dos.zip comes with some basic and
extended info,,

http://www.hdat2.com/
hdat2 - DOS hard drive testing, diagnostics, and repair tool. Supports PATA
[(older disks) ATA, IDE, EIDE, DMA, UDMA] SATA, SCSI, RAID, and USB drives
Pick up the hdat2en_4_51.pdf

Hard Drive Guru
http://www.hddguru.com
MHDD - hard drive management
English documentation has been moved to http://mhdd.com
English FAQ: http://mhddsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4261
Also some "nice" tools for 2000/XP

For some info:
http://www.geocities.com/thestarman3...br/FDISK98.htm

Additional tools I have found useful are aefdisk and Super fdisk.
http://www.aefdisk.com/
http://www.ptdd.com/ [pick up the data-recovery-book.pdf while your there]

Do the eventual re-format (if you get it fixed) without the /s..

Some reference materials:
KB119467
Q103049
KB122221
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...c28621675.mspx
The above discusses certain variables, tools, and other which might be of
use for any hard disk problems.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources

Now I really should fade to black and let the experts help you [ I'm gonna
look really stupid when someone comes up with an easy "fix", then again, you
might just "recover" lost clusters if you make the effort..]

Addendum/after the fact--
Oh, let them know in the other part of these threads what type of mouse,
Logitech perhaps?...
see you tried it with a different disk so perhaps look at potential
hardware issues.. cable seating, dirty contacts, video card partial
unseating, stuff like that
You've got at least three good people helping you now,, good luck [was
going to delete the HD info as I'd written this originally a few hours ago,
but what the heck, might be useful to someone...]

[slashed]

| |
| | Description of the Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me Setup
Switches
| | (Q186111)
| | Computer Appears to Stop Responding During Windows 98 Setup (Q191391)
| | Windows 98 Setup Stops Responding While Trying to Play a Sound
(Q191257)
| | Windows 98 Setup Loses Access to Source Drive (Q191827)
| | Computer Hangs When You Restart for the First Time During Setup
(Q193156)
| | USB Devices May Not Work in Windows 98 Second Edition (Q240075)
[slash]
| As stated, PCR has you now.. his ball now, I will be in the background
with
| the others..
|

| I thank you for your replies.
|
| | "AuldPhart" wrote in message
| | .. .
| | Hello, I will try to keep this as short and consise as I can.
| |
| | Up until about 6 months ago, I was running WIN98 SE. I
| | decided to try out XP & SP2, and found that I like it pretty
| | well. I installed the XP drivers for my ancient ATI All-In-Wonder
| | Pro 128 AGP vid card. Since then, I have been unable to
| | perform video capture using VirtualDub.
| |
| | I decided to install WIN98SE on another drive to get this
| | ability back. When I try to install, I can get all of the files
| | loaded on the drive in the WIN98 folder I created. When
| | it comes time to install the OS, The mouse cursor freezes
| | at the "Welcome to windows install" window. I borrowed
| | a friends WIN98 SE disc, and the same thing happens.
| | I have not changed a thing in regards to hardware since
| | I last ran WIN98 SE.
| |
| | Any ideas? Thank you.
| | AP
| |
| | P.E.T.A. People Eating Tasty Animals
| |

-------------------

From: "MEB" meb@not
Subject: nothing will get me out of dos
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 20:35:09 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
-----
That is a definite problem.. though contrary to many beliefs after a format,
you may be able to recover the disk.

You apparently have a DOS prompt so the system (or a system) is still
available. Others may suggest various other recovery aspects..

If you have installed nothing (or little) to the disk then it may be time
to look into recovery software... dozens available for free..

Just a couple I have tested for DOS..

Might try:

hard drive tools and recovery
http://www.cgsecurity.org/
Testdisk can be used to recover old MBR from backups on the hard disk and
recovery may work from there with this tool or others..
http://www.cgsecurity.org/testdisk-6.3.dos.zip

BootitNG
http://www.bootitng.com/bootitng.html
http://www.bootitng.com/downloads/bootitng.zip
Do a "seek" in this newsgroup for "bootitng" for the numerous posts
concerning it's use.
also MBRWork available at addons site

Hard Drive Guru
http://www.hddguru.com
MHDD - hard drive management
English documentation has been moved to http://mhdd.com
English FAQ: http://mhddsoftware.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4261

Several Tools -
http://www.sadevelopment.com/index.htm
http://www.sadevelopment.com/more_ldt.htm#repairmbr
Large Drive Tools - http://www.sadevelopment.com/more_download.htm

If you have installed anything to the disk then you may get only a partial
recovery.
Save what you feel necessary and re-install WIN98 afterwards..

After the installation, you may be able to recover other files in Windows

Get back data for DOS and NT
http://www.runtime.org/

WINHEX and forensic recovery tools
http://www.x-ways.net/

If it is essential material and you ABSOLUTELY have to recover your data,
then the check for data recovery professionals like:

http://www.data-recovery-labs.com/
http://www.drivelabs.com/
http://www.cgsecurity.org/

-------
MEB

"dinsdale" u25337@uwe wrote in message news:64d1f65552a19@uwe...
my son unfortunately did a format disk on my old computer, which had Win98
installed on it. No matter what I do, when I boot it up, I can't get away
from the dos prompt. Even when I hit safe mode, after holding F8 during
startup, it just goes directly back to the command prompt. I have a 98
startup floppy,,,is there a way to reload Windows onto this system?

---------------

From: "MEB" meb@not
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 02:26:28 -0400
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
-----

Darn, forgot a DOS tool I use regularly,

http://www.hdat2.com/
hdat2 - DOS hard drive testing, diagnostics, and repair tool. Supports PATA
[(older disks) ATA, IDE, EIDE, DMA, UDMA] SATA, SCSI, RAID, and USB drives

Or if you have a cdrom attached:
Knoppix contains tools to recover hard disks - full virtual system boot
CDROM (also a little taste of the Linux environment for those interested)
and you can run others from floppy or in it's virtual environment.
http://www.knoppix.org/

Various other recovery/hard drive tools are available on hundreds of sites,
such as:
http://www.mdgx.com/ which are dispersed on the site, one page of which is
http://www.mdgx.com/secrets.htm
http://www.forensics.nl/tools
http://www.grc.com/

Well I think that's enough free advertising for them... ?8~[

-----------
MEB
_______________

"MEB" meb@not wrote in message
[...]

http://peoplescounsel.orgfree.com/

"Most people, sometime in their lives, stumble across truth.
Most jump up, brush themselves off, and hurry on about their business as

if
nothing had happen." Winston Churchill
Or to put it another way:
Morpheus can offer you the two pills;
but only you can choose whether you take the red pill or the blue one.
_______________

"dinsdale" u25337@uwe wrote in message news:64d1f65552a19@uwe...
my son unfortunately did a format disk on my old computer, which had

Win98
installed on it. No matter what I do, when I boot it up, I can't get

away
from the dos prompt. Even when I hit safe mode, after holding F8 during
startup, it just goes directly back to the command prompt. I have a 98
startup floppy,,,is there a way to reload Windows onto this system?

s.group...
wrote:
| I'm just following up this post to c.s.i.p.h.s (with the OP's
| permission). Would anyone care to comment?
|
| On Mon, 4 Sep 2006 16:05:29 -0400, "MEB" meb@not
| put finger to keyboard and composed:
|
| IF the disk had NT5/XP NTFS used on it:
|
| BEFORE YOU ATTEMPT TO REMOVE XP NTFS with a DOS program or using ANY
DOS
| techniques;;;;
|
| [SNIP long list of standard techniques]

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/reskits/webresources

| NOTE: even using these Microsoft techniques; NT5 - XP NTFS may not be
fully
| removed from the hard drive. Microsoft has numerous legal disclaimers
| associated with the use of this file system, warning that it may be
| unremovable or make the disk unusable..
|
| Sounds like another reason to not migrate to XP, not that I was
planning
| to anyway. Vista neither.
|
| Who would try using a Microsoft product to remove a Microsoft
product
| anyway - you'd never know what the motivations of the code writers were ;
for
| example, would it be in Microsoft's interests to have people think that
they
| might damage hardware by removing Microsoft software products? Yes,
because it
| would add to the barriers against migration. Therefore Microsoft project
| managers have a potential motivation to make it difficult or impossible to
| remove Microsoft products.
|
| Windows bootable hard disk (any version) to be used for some other
| system. No need for and concerns about recovering data from the disc. Drop
it
| into a machine (preferably directly attached to the motherboard, not in an
| external case), boot the machine with a Linux (or BSDx for that matter),
run
| fdisk/ cfdisk/ [the corresponding BSDx command], strip out and rearrange
the
| partitioning the way you want it for the disk's intended use. Format
| partitions. Shutdown and take the disk away to it's new use.
| Has anyone ever had this procedure fail on non-broken hardware?
|
| Why was the /mbr switch of DOS fdisk not documented for so many
years?

| --
| Aidan Karley, FGS
| Aberdeen, Scotland
| Written at Wed, 06 Sep 2006 09:01 +0100, but posted later.

--
MEB
http://peoplescounsel.orgfree.com/
BLOG http://peoplescounsel.spaces.live.com/ Public Notice or the "real