eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2: power supply requirements

Old October 24th 06, 02:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Z Man

Default eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2: power supply requirements

I have an HP desktop computer model m1090n (3.6GHz, upgraded to 3GB ram) on
which my video card has gone bad. I am considering replacing it with a much
more powerful card, perhaps the eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2. My question concerns
the power supply requirements.

My computer currently has a 300w power supply. Will that be adequate to run
the new video card? In general, if the specs for a particular video card
state that it requires a 350w power supply, and I have a 300w power supply,
what will happen? Will the computer not boot at all, run slower, etc.?

I could change the power supply, but it is a hassle and I would prefer to
avoid it, if possible.

Old October 24th 06, 04:26 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
deimos

Z Man wrote:
I have an HP desktop computer model m1090n (3.6GHz, upgraded to 3GB ram) on
which my video card has gone bad. I am considering replacing it with a much
more powerful card, perhaps the eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2. My question concerns
the power supply requirements.

My computer currently has a 300w power supply. Will that be adequate to run
the new video card? In general, if the specs for a particular video card
state that it requires a 350w power supply, and I have a 300w power supply,
what will happen? Will the computer not boot at all, run slower, etc.?

I could change the power supply, but it is a hassle and I would prefer to
avoid it, if possible.

A generic 300w will not do. I have a pretty good 420w with excellent
amp ratings, but even I'm not sure a 7950 GX2 would run reliably with
all the drives and a more powerful CPU hooked up. You don't want to
risk damaging your expensive new card with a generic PSU with irregular
voltage, so get something decent with PFC and good 5v and 12v amp ratings.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...N=201032 0058

Anything SLI certified and PFC should be a very good match.

Old October 24th 06, 05:21 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Z Man wrote:
I have an HP desktop computer model m1090n (3.6GHz, upgraded to 3GB ram) on
which my video card has gone bad. I am considering replacing it with a much
more powerful card, perhaps the eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2. My question concerns
the power supply requirements.

My computer currently has a 300w power supply. Will that be adequate to run
the new video card? In general, if the specs for a particular video card
state that it requires a 350w power supply, and I have a 300w power supply,
what will happen? Will the computer not boot at all, run slower, etc.?

I could change the power supply, but it is a hassle and I would prefer to
avoid it, if possible.

Considered advice:

1) Your Media PC comes with a bundled ATI X600. I am a fan of nvidia
cards, but you might consider sticking with the same brand, for ease of
installation, troubleshooting.

2) You should not consider installing the 7950GX2 in that case under any
circumstances. It is a very finicky dual-card with substantial
requirements for proper operation, none of which are met by your situation.

3) Power Supply Units, regrettably, are only labeled in "watts" for very
broad purposes, mostly marketing, partially confusion. While you are
correct in thinking your PSU is potentially underpowered, you are being
led down the garden path when you are told that a PSU of "this many
watts" will run a state of the art video card. It's like advertising a
car in "miles per hour". There are other, more important considerations
that the manufacturers don't spend time educating the consumer on. Best
bet? Stick with a top-name in power supplies, and check what power
supply models have been certified with certain high-end video cards.
Nvidia keeps a list of those on their nzone web site, for example.

So, what options do you realistically have? I would suggest a PCI-E card
from ATI that does not require power from a molex (those little plastic
connectors that provide power to devices, such as hard drives and cd
drives).

Or, a 7600GS from nvidia, it has low power requirements, so you might
not need to replace your PSU (Which you correctly want to avoid), and it
is a reasonable performer, you just have to make sure you uninstall the
ATI software fully, and install the nvidia software correctly.

To answer your question about what happens when your PSU is being
overworked, bad things. Most often, 3D mode will crash to desktop, or
the PC will spontaneously reboot. Also, more heat will be generated from
the overworked unit, maybe even a really high pitched whine, or squeal
in more rare instances. Things will just seem, off. Best of luck, avoid
that 7950GX2!
Old October 25th 06, 12:14 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
DaveW

That card requires at least a 400 watt PSU to power it adequately. If you
drive your computer with too underpowered of a PSU you can severely damage
most of the electronics in your system (motherboard chipset, harddrives,
RAM, video card, etc.) The system will try to draw adequate wattage from
the PSU, be unable to, and the components will begin destructing.
A general rule in computers is do NOT buy a cheap underpowered PSU.
EVERYTHING else in the system depends on it.

--
DaveW

----------------

Old October 25th 06, 06:16 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
First of One

"Z Man" wrote in message
I have an HP desktop computer model m1090n (3.6GHz, upgraded to 3GB ram) on
which my video card has gone bad. I am considering replacing it with a much
more powerful card, perhaps the eVGA GEFORCE 7950 GX2. My question concerns
the power supply requirements.

The 7950GX2 draws less power than the X1900XT, though a 300W probably is
still too paltry. Take a tape measure and measure the inside of your case
before even considering the card, however.

My computer currently has a 300w power supply. Will that be adequate to
run the new video card? In general, if the specs for a particular video
card state that it requires a 350w power supply, and I have a 300w power
supply, what will happen? Will the computer not boot at all, run slower,
etc.?

The computer may not boot. It may crash while booting. It may run fine in
Windows but crash after a few minutes of gaming (due to higher workload). It
may also be borderline stable. Most likely it'll be an intermittent thing to
mix up with other driver/chipset issues and dog you for weeks at a time. :-)
Actual hardware damage is quite unlikely, but I'm not sure which is less
hassle.

I could change the power supply, but it is a hassle and I would prefer to
avoid it, if possible.

Another option is to use an auxilliary Thermaltake power supply that
installs into a 5.25" bay.

Old October 27th 06, 03:00 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Z Man

[comments end-posted]

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..
Z Man wrote:
[...]

I have given a lot of thought to what you have said. I also checked out high
end cards from ATI. It seems that the power requirement for most high end
video cards would make me upgrade my power supply. Although it is
inconvenient, I would be willing to do it if necessary. What is it about the
case that houses my PC that would make it imappropriate for the 7950GX2?
Does it take up two slots? If so, I probably still have adequate physical
space. Looking into the case, with the rear of the case on my left, there
is empty space above my PCI Express slot. Does that help? Below the video
slot, I have my soundcard, but I could move that to another slot. The
computer also came with a sound card (just below my video card) and a modem
on the bottom. I have already removed the modem, which is useless for me.

In terms of possible ATI cards, I am looking at the VisionTek Radeon X1600XT
Xtreme Video Card, PCI Express, 512MB GDDR3. This card is about $300 at
CompUSA (a little less at Newegg and other online retailers), and the specs
state that a 300w power supply is adequate. Trouble is, once I looked at the
higher end card, I found that I really wanted on

Old October 27th 06, 04:53 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Mr.E Solved!

Z Man wrote:

I have given a lot of thought to what you have said.

Good to know, I will continue to try and make that time well spent!
Hopefully there are many people who are helped by these types of
exchanges, it just so happens to benefit you, since you so
coincidentally happen to have the exact problem we are discussing.

I also checked out high
end cards from ATI. It seems that the power requirement for most high end
video cards would make me upgrade my power supply. Although it is
inconvenient, I would be willing to do it if necessary.

Another PSU can only help your choices. So then: If not able to judge a
PSU's suitable power accurately by 'watts' alone, how then do you rate
them? Short answer: Available Amperage. It's easy to do since all PSU's
have total available amperage measurements on the unit and retail box.
On the chart you cross reference the +12V line (There are other lines as
well, but the 12v line is the most important) with the model number of
the unit, or some other measurement they provide, like the ambient
temperature, or efficiency, and you get the number of amps available on
either a single or split 12v line.

That's how many Amps that PSU can do, and higher is better, but there
are safety concerns past 20A per line so many units rightfully max out
there. How do you know how many Amps your system will need? First, back
to Watts! Try this handy online wattage requirement calculator.

http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Once you find out just how much wattage your PC is likely to require,
you can now inspect a range of available PSUs and use available amperage
as a measurement to see how that power is distributed. Watts is the
'budget' and the various lines (lingo: 'rails') are the 'expenses'. Your
devices are 'purchases' and like a bank account that goes into the red,
if your electricity requirements over one line go too high, the system
can act all sorts of unstable. Electricity analogies are always
imperfect, but higher amps on a 12V line, plus a relatively high
efficiency rating, generally indicate a superior PSU.

Here's a link to a random PSU roundup, that explains things as you go:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/oth...u-roundup.html

In anticipation of a question, the PCI-e connector (which plugs into
current high end cards) gets it's power from one of the 12V lines, hence
it's importance.

What is it about the
case that houses my PC that would make it imappropriate for the 7950GX2?

It's not the case, it's the motherboard inside the case that worries me.
The 7950GX2 requires a compatible motherboard. Here is a link to
nvidia's compatible motherboard list. I do not think your specific
system board is listed, not a good sign for compatibility, but not a
guarantee of failure either. My advice: avoid.

http://www.nvidia.com/content/geforc...y=manufacturer

Are you running Windows Media Center? I believe all of those HP's
default to MC, just another potential area for concern regarding driver
incompatibilities (and not just the 7950GX2).

In terms of possible ATI cards, I am looking at the VisionTek Radeon X1600XT
Xtreme Video Card, PCI Express, 512MB GDDR3. This card is about $300 at
CompUSA (a little less at Newegg and other online retailers), and the specs
state that a 300w power supply is adequate. Trouble is, once I looked at the
higher end card, I found that I really wanted on

Ah, of course, then it comes down to the same old question, from the
beginning of computer time, "What is the game you most want to play with
your new video card?" Once you have in mind the game (why else get a new
video card?) then you can get the hardware that will run it best...as in
the 'chuck patch'. Look luck, use Newegg!

Old October 27th 06, 01:51 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Z Man

[comments end-posted]

[...]

In terms of my computer use, I have the usual business apps, like MS Office,
and I also do a little video editing with Adobe Premiere Pro. I just
purchased the Sony hi def camcorder and look forward to editing some
footage. I am not a gamer. Bottom line, I probably do not need a really high
end card, but since my previous video card want bad, I figured it would use
it as an excuse to buy a powerful video card, since I am willing to spent
the dollars to do so. However, I am not looking for trouble, such as
de-stabilizing my system, so perhaps I should just go with the Radeon
X1600XT, or the nVidia 7600GS you recommended previously. For me, the Radeon
would appear to be the better choice (if I am not going to go 'high end')
since it seems to have a bit more power, but will still not require changing
my power supply, and is the same brand as my previous video card. What to
you think?

Old October 27th 06, 05:27 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Peter

Dude get a 7900gto get a power supply end of story.I did. LoL
Or a 7600gt or gs it will blow your mind you wont need to get a power supply
maybe good luck.

"Mr.E Solved!" wrote in message
. ..