game prob after upgrade

Old October 23rd 06, 03:23 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Peter

Default game prob after upgrade

After loading a game it starts out choppy and pauses etc a couple of times
then later its ok. Most 3d games do it.
Someone said to replace power supply. My 7600gt worked fine awsome card but
now 7900gto not so
good. Anything wrong with my hardware setup? thanks

System:
amd 3200+ @2.2
1gb pc3200 ram @2338
xfinity 500w dual rail 16/ 18 amp
nv8 abit nforce 4
evga 7900gto

Thought of getting a better supply that shares power from 3 12 v rails W@

Old October 24th 06, 12:52 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
[email protected]

Peter wrote:
After loading a game it starts out choppy and pauses etc a couple of times
then later its ok. Most 3d games do it.
Someone said to replace power supply. My 7600gt worked fine awsome card but
now 7900gto not so
good. Anything wrong with my hardware setup? thanks

System:
amd 3200+ @2.2
1gb pc3200 ram @2338
xfinity 500w dual rail 16/ 18 amp
nv8 abit nforce 4
evga 7900gto

Thought of getting a better supply that shares power from 3 12 v rails W@

Obvious question - did you completely uninstall your old display driver
before changing cards? Even though they both use the same driver, you
should still start clean on a new card.
What driver are you using?
Let me guess - you jumped on the 7900GTO deals going around - I did too
, went from a 6800 Ultra.

Kendt

Old October 24th 06, 01:10 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
Peter

yes but there is the power supply dilemma of 12 volt rails and what amps are
on them etc.
so I bought a $160 power supply even though mine works, no more $40
rebates.
I found 2 for around 120 that would have been ok. Darn gamming rigs.
" wrote in message
ups.com...

Old October 26th 06, 02:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia
StreetMedic

Peter wrote:
After loading a game it starts out choppy and pauses etc a couple of times
then later its ok. Most 3d games do it.
Someone said to replace power supply. My 7600gt worked fine awsome card but
now 7900gto not so
good. Anything wrong with my hardware setup? thanks

System:
amd 3200+ @2.2
1gb pc3200 ram @2338
xfinity 500w dual rail 16/ 18 amp
nv8 abit nforce 4
evga 7900gto

Thought of getting a better supply that shares power from 3 12 v rails W@

Um, are you sure your rig's just not trying to choke down the first
batch of textures when a given level first loads?

Sometimes my machine stutters a bit when a level first opens. I
usually stand in one place a moment, briefly pan around in all
directions to sort of "get a look at everything". This seems to get the
immediate surroundings tucked into memory, and things are usually smooth
after that.

Seems to happen to me when I'm trying to "do too much" with my video
card...

/shrug

S-M