SETUP

Old August 25th 03, 02:07 AM
metronid

Default SETUP

I had a gentlemen email me
The new board posts cpu ram etc but the new HD
is not recognized
This is a rebuild

f1 takes him nowhere

I asked him to make sure the keyboard lights and that
the f1 key is known to work
I also asked him to make sure he has plugged the mouse and keyboard in to
the correct ports

The manual says f1
I also asked him to make sure that the onbaord setup switch is set to enable
setup 570MB

He has emailed me before and was unable to get a
HD to work on another unit
he could not figure setup once he was there

Any insight why f1 is not working

Old August 25th 03, 02:56 AM
mdp

I'm guessing you also advised him on correct HD jumper settings (note some older drives have very tiny jumpers on the back PCB). If
he removes the HD, can he enter setup? If so, then he could try to manually enter the CHS settings (if there's an AUTO choce
that's usually recommended). Save CMOS, exit CMOS, turn off computer, reattach HD, then reboot.

--
Please de-spam my address if replying to me

Old August 25th 03, 10:52 AM
Elector

"metronid" wrote in message
I had a gentlemen email me
The new board posts cpu ram etc but the new HD
is not recognized
This is a rebuild

f1 takes him nowhere

I asked him to make sure the keyboard lights and that
the f1 key is known to work
I also asked him to make sure he has plugged the mouse and keyboard

in to
the correct ports

The manual says f1
I also asked him to make sure that the onbaord setup switch is set

to enable
setup 570MB

He has emailed me before and was unable to get a
HD to work on another unit
he could not figure setup once he was there

Any insight why f1 is not working

Hi Metronid:

Quite a few things come to mind. First bad battery or low battery as
to make CMOS settings impossible to enter. Or the Unit is actually
not set to respond to F1.
If it is the later replace the battery with a fresh one and try the
function again. If the former I would say to try the different combo
keys to enter the BIOS/CMOS such as ALT+F1 or CTL-ALT-DEL or even the
DEL to try and get into the setup screen.

Another common problem is the wrong cabling to the drive and or to the
motherboard or both. Pin 1 must be set on both the Primary IDE and the
pin 1 of the hard drive.

There may also be a bad hard drive in which it is frozen and not
usable. The size you posted is almost never used today so that may
also be a factor.

Additionally you may want to have him check the memory to see that it
is seated properly. And also have him/her check all connections so as
to not have any unconnected.

And lastly it could be a bad power supply or faulty power supply
connector, if the cable is bent or broken that will also cause a short
in the system and cause the system not to respond to a boot.

I hope that helped?

Elector

Old August 25th 03, 01:46 PM
Elector

"metronid" wrote in message

I don't blame you for giving up. You can not teach a person over the
internet to fix something that is not right in front of you.
I know from experience that when I have friends and co-workers ask for
assistance it is always better to be sitting right there and looking and
touching what has to be repaired.

Granted he might have a problem with filters on the AOL account but you
could also leave the files he/she needs on a free website (I use this
approach) and this way they can upload the files and documents at their own
leisure.

Then there is folks as you have here that you noticed tell you they twisted
this cord or that and yet give you no help on what they actually twisted.
Was it the power cable, the IDE Ribbon, or the power supply connectors. It
is just too difficult in trying to ascertain what the person does in the
advice you give them.

I cannot tell you what irks me more than the person who is asking for help
has no real basic knowledge of the system they are using. Granted not
everyone should have knowledge to tinker around inside the units but enough
knowledge as to be able to tell you what part of the system they are fooling
around with.

I use to get folks that told me they wanted a larger hard drive, and went
out an buy they 100 GB and then realize that the OS and system cannot handle
that large a drive. Then they ask me how can I use it and can I come over
and try to make it go. Believe me its a real pain. When you tell them that
you will have to FDISK & Format the drive and then partition it into many
sections they say they "want is all one drive". Try telling a person how
impossible that is.

Or when the system is a PII and a speed of 233 or 333 and the guy has a max
out of 128MB of ram and wonders why its sluggish to respond.

Anyway you gave it your best shot. Who could ask for more.

Elector