what's with my ink setup?

Old November 14th 08, 04:27 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

Default what's with my ink setup?

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:16:50 -0800, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

On Nov 13, 7:27 am, measekite wrote:

I am saying compatible means not necessarily exactly the same as but
functions the same as to the same level of specification and performance.
And generic ink does not. Most users and proponents of generic ink will
admit there are differences. If someone wants to accept those differences
in exchange for a lower price than that is there choice. But they are not
saving money since they are not comparing the exact same specification,
function and performance and not having the same level of consistency.

Generic ink is a singular ink for many printers.
Formulated compatible ink is ink made for a specific line of printers.

People using compatible ink ARE saving money since they are spending
less money in the long term. You might consider OEM if you want
longevity, since aftermarket solutions tend to not be as archival as
OEM. You have to choose whether to spend 20x more.

Bulk ink is going to be MORE consistent than OEM since there is no
reasonable assurance that two OEM cartridges are made at the same
factory, at the same time, from the same batch. A pint of aftermarket
ink is going to be MORE consistent since it will be exactly the same
ink for 36 refills. Granted, I've not noticed an issue with Canon, I
have noticed an issue with Epson.

You are rationalizing. That is crap.
Old November 14th 08, 04:34 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
measekite

On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:06:54 -0800, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:

On Nov 13, 7:41 am, measekite wrote:
I think you're thinking of EBCIDIC -
Extended Binary-Coded Decimal Interchange Code (IBM)

That was the IBM 3270PC that operated in two modes and if I remember mine
did have a different keyboard. I think later on a standard PC with an
Irma board could do many of the same functions.

The IBM 3270PC was a regular XT with 4 boards. It had "two" modes
because it was essentially a 3270 terminal inside a regular PC, in the
form of 4 long ISA boards.

Now if you want to get very fussy is Linux compatible with Windows. Much
of the same software can run on both but the binaries are different.
Other software is specific to one or the other.

That's not what we are talking about dude. We're talking about system
compatibility . If you had a IBM Compatible, you could run pretty
much the same software on one as another. The earlier years was a

run pretty much is not compatible

little querky, but it stabilized once Compaq and Phoenix set the
stage. After compaq and Phoenix, 100% IBM Compatibles were possible
with the ONLY exception being IBM BASICA. But, here's the kicker, but
this was a non issue since you could get basic from Microsoft rather
than IBM.

Now I have asked you for examples of software that would ONLY run on
an IBM XT. You've not provided any, except 3270 terminal support
which as it turns out didn't require an IBM to run.

Most hardware will run on the inferior Windows (due to marketing and other
factors) while a lot of hardware will not work at all or work poorly or
will less function with Linux. So compatible means little.

Most, and alot. Great ways to prove a point.
http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl.../02/02/0236200

What linux has, is is better legacy support. I'll likely agree that
win9x/2k/xp have better hardware support than Linux generally
speaking. Vista is another matter.

You have hardware compatibility, and software compatibility. PC
hardware will plug into a PC. It will turn on and "work" as hardware
does. But that's worthless unless there is software to use it, mainly
drivers. Most notable are modems, where it's not a simple matter
getting a DSP modem to work under linux. It's not an issue using a
hardware or external modem.

Now is the Canon IP4000 compatible with Linux. The answer is YES. The
answer is NO. Canon USA does not have a driver for it. Canon Japan has a
driver for a similar machine but the Japanese machine at the time the
driver was produced did not support duplex printing.

IT'S THE SAME MACHINE DUDE. IT'S EXACTLY THE SAME MACHINE. You know
what the difference is? The "destination" code programed into the
machine, and a Pixus ip4100 takes bci-7 dye ink, as in the same stuff
as cli8. Is this an issue? I don't know, I don't run my printer on
linux, though I probably should.

But if you want your canon to work under linux, and you want duplex
and CD printing, get turboprint
http://www.turboprint.de/english.html

This is a case where the non-OEM driver is superior to the OEM one.
Turboprint isn't free, it'll cost you 30 euros.

Canon has limited linux support, but there is 3rd party support for
Canon.

There is no solution with duplex so
one can say that Canon is not compatible with Linux because all of the
functions do not work as intended but others can say it is compatible
because it does work for the most part.

This makes the dubious word compatible ambiguous and meaningless.

No hardware is "compatible" with hardware without support. Canon has
limited support under linux. There is 3rd party support.

Canon USA DOES NOT NOT NOT SUPPORT LINUX. PERIOD. NEITHER DOES EPSON.
PERIOD..HP HAS NO OUT OF THE BOX SUPPORT FOR LINUX. PERIOD

Now if you want something truly compatible with Linux, go
postscript.

Old November 14th 08, 06:08 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
FBonVistaX64

measher-****-head, the fukkin idiot wrote:

You are rationalizing. That is crap.

No, you are wrong. You are crap. You are one insane mentally disturbed
POS loser.
Get lost asshole.
Old November 14th 08, 09:47 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Nov 13, 8:34 pm, measekite wrote:
On Thu, 13 Nov 2008 16:06:54 -0800, IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:
That's not what we are talking about dude. We're talking about system
compatibility . If you had a IBM Compatible, you could run pretty
much the same software on one as another. The earlier years was a

run pretty much is not compatible

Ok, then IBMs were not compatible with them selves. PS/2s were known
as "piece of **** 2". They were not 100% compatible with off the
shelf software that would work with the a stock IBM PC without an
issue. Part of the issue was using a very non-standard chip, the
486SLC, which IIRC was pin compatible with the 386sx. Another issue
was lack of EGA support, and their VGA support was rather limited to
their own standard, but that was rather the norm for the time
period.

Get the picture. IBM was a meaningless term. Just because a machine
had IBM on the front of it doesn't mean it would run off the shelf
software designed to IBM or IBM compatibles. The clones did a better
job of remaining compatible with the older software with the exception
of ROM basic, but as I said before MS was more than happy to provide
GW Basic and Quick Basic.

Canon USA DOES NOT NOT NOT SUPPORT LINUX. PERIOD. NEITHER DOES EPSON.
PERIOD..HP HAS NO OUT OF THE BOX SUPPORT FOR LINUX. PERIOD

HP doesn't support Linux? The bringers of HP/UX? WTF?

Their choices are limited, that is true. For the most part they do
outsource their drivers to Microsoft. I'm not aware of an AIO that
has full integrated linux drivers.
HP Color LaserJet 3600n Printer (Q5987A) shows up in a simple search
on their website.

Epson is only slightly better than Canon. Epson Kowa was their linux
support at least for scanners, but the site appears to be defunct.

But if you want a $100 inkjet, and you want it to work under linux,
you buy turboprint.
http://turboprint.info/
It costs $30 euros.

Old November 14th 08, 09:52 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
IntergalacticExpandingPanda

On Nov 13, 8:26 pm, measekite wrote:

Since you just said that you are not getting the same thing you are
spending less and not saving money. If you decide to eat a $1.00 hot dog
instead of a $10.00 steak you spend $9.00 less but saved nothing.

However if the same steak goes on sale the next day for $7.00 then you
can claim a $3.00 savings.

Also if you buy a choice steak for $3.00 less than a prime steak you did
not save any money either but you spent less.

Actually if you bought a $1.00 hot dog rather than a $10.00 steak, you
saved $9.00. Granted I don't buy hotdogs, I don't enjoy hotdogs, and
I actually am not a big steak fan.

But we are not talking hotdogs and steak, we're talking ink and ink.

Old November 14th 08, 09:55 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Nov 13, 8:27 pm, measekite wrote:

Bulk ink is going to be MORE consistent than OEM since there is no
reasonable assurance that two OEM cartridges are made at the same
factory, at the same time, from the same batch. A pint of aftermarket
ink is going to be MORE consistent since it will be exactly the same
ink for 36 refills. Granted, I've not noticed an issue with Canon, I
have noticed an issue with Epson.

You are rationalizing. That is crap.

Dude, you bought up consistency. What is by definition more
consistent, ink from an unknown source, or bulk ink from a known
source? What is more consistent, random 13ml inks from various
factories around the would, or a pint from a single factory, the same
ink made in the same vat, the same day?

If you want consistency, you buy bulk ink.
Old November 14th 08, 11:17 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:
On Nov 13, 8:27 pm, measekite wrote:

Bulk ink is going to be MORE consistent than OEM since there is no
reasonable assurance that two OEM cartridges are made at the same
factory, at the same time, from the same batch. A pint of aftermarket
ink is going to be MORE consistent since it will be exactly the same
ink for 36 refills. Granted, I've not noticed an issue with Canon, I
have noticed an issue with Epson.

You are rationalizing. That is crap.

Dude, you bought up consistency. What is by definition more
consistent, ink from an unknown source, or bulk ink from a known
source? What is more consistent, random 13ml inks from various
factories around the would, or a pint from a single factory, the same
ink made in the same vat, the same day?

If you want consistency, you buy bulk ink.

Obviously, Measekite has never painted his own walls with ready-mixed
paint. One of the most basic tenets of paint purchase, even from the
major brands, is to check the paint run number stamped on the can and
make sure it's the same one for each can you're going to use together.
That's because different runs will have subtle differences that you
won't see until it's dry and on the wall. It's much better these days,
with computer control adjusting the mixtures for differences in the
pigments, but it's still necessary if you are to use a consistent product.

TJ
Old November 14th 08, 01:42 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

measekite wrote:

Since you just said that you are not getting the same thing you are
spending less and not saving money. If you decide to eat a $1.00 hot dog
instead of a $10.00 steak you spend $9.00 less but saved nothing.

However if the same steak goes on sale the next day for $7.00 then you
can claim a $3.00 savings.

Also if you buy a choice steak for $3.00 less than a prime steak you did
not save any money either but you spent less.

You want to use a FOOD analogy? OK, let's talk food. I grow tomatoes and
sell them to the public on a farm market. This past September I was
selling my tomatoes at $1.25-$1.50 a pound, when the supermarkets were
selling hothouse tomatoes for $1.99 and "homegrown" for almost $3. Lots
of people saved money by buying my tomatoes. They spent less and got
more, because the worst tomato I sold was much better than the best
hothouse tomato the supermarket ever had. The hothouse tomatoes had a
registered brand name - I use my own name. You don't necessarily get
more by spending more.

We took some of the tomatoes that weren't quite good enough to sell,
and, using my mother's recipe, made them into pasta sauce, which we
canned and put away for our own use this winter. The sauce doesn't taste
like Ragu, or Kraft, or any of the other commercial brands, but we like
it. It cost us less than those brands would, but we got more, because we
know how those tomatoes were grown, and we know what's in the sauce. You
don't necessarily get more by spending more.

BTW, if all you really want is a hotdog, it's foolish to buy a steak
instead, just because it costs more. But here's a tip: If you're going
to use this stupid analogy, use "hamburger" instead of "hotdog."

TJ
Old November 14th 08, 01:56 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
TJ

IntergalacticExpandingPanda wrote:
On Nov 13, 8:34 pm, measekite wrote:
Canon USA DOES NOT NOT NOT SUPPORT LINUX. PERIOD. NEITHER DOES EPSON.
PERIOD..HP HAS NO OUT OF THE BOX SUPPORT FOR LINUX. PERIOD

HP doesn't support Linux? The bringers of HP/UX? WTF?

Their choices are limited, that is true. For the most part they do
outsource their drivers to Microsoft. I'm not aware of an AIO that
has full integrated linux drivers.
HP Color LaserJet 3600n Printer (Q5987A) shows up in a simple search
on their website.

Most HP printers and AIOs are supported by the HPLIP package. The
project isn't run by HP, but HP does give the project more support than
any other printer manufacturer. That said, I know of at least three
devices that aren't "fully" supported when it comes to all features. I
was unable to activate the Deskjet 5650 auto powersaver feature from
Linux, for example, and the Linux drivers do not support the use of
banner paper with the Deskjet 5650 or the Officejet 6110. Also,
Measekite's "out-of-the-box" claim has merit, since there is a delay
between the introduction of a new printer and the implementation of
Linux support of that printer's new features. However, while I have only
used older models, thus far all HP printers I've tried since the advent
of the HPLIP package have been plug-and-play with Mandriva Linux.

TJ
Old November 14th 08, 02:37 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers

On Nov 14, 5:56 am, TJ wrote:

Most HP printers and AIOs are supported by the HPLIP package. The
project isn't run by HP, but HP does give the project more support than
any other printer manufacturer. That said, I know of at least three
devices that aren't "fully" supported when it comes to all features. I
was unable to activate the Deskjet 5650 auto powersaver feature from
Linux, for example, and the Linux drivers do not support the use of
banner paper with the Deskjet 5650 or the Officejet 6110. Also,
Measekite's "out-of-the-box" claim has merit, since there is a delay
between the introduction of a new printer and the implementation of
Linux support of that printer's new features. However, while I have only
used older models, thus far all HP printers I've tried since the advent
of the HPLIP package have been plug-and-play with Mandriva Linux.

There are fewer printers with out of the box support. HP has a few,
but near as I'm aware they are color lasers, and they start at $500.

Most things Linux depend on community support rather than OEM
support.

Out of the box support, valid claim.

No support? Bull****

There is limited support for printers under linux from OEMs. Third
Party support is better, mainly things like Turboprint which isn't
free, but reasonably priced.
ftp://download.canon.jp/pub/driver/bj/linux
Canon has some support for the ip3100/ip4100 but as previously said,
canon them selves don't support cd printing nor duplex printing. They
have a guide for the ip4300 but it's in Japanese and I can't make
heads nor tails of it.
http://support-au.canon.com.au/EN/se... menu=Download
This is as close to out of the box support as you can get. The .rpm
I'm told is limited to 600dpi, and as expected, no advanced features
are supported such as CD printing or duplex.

You can say this is inadequate support, **** poor support, but you
can't claim it's NO support. Measekite would have us believe it's not
compatible, when clearly it is. Not to the same degree that it's
supported under windows, but it does WORK under linux, just not as
well.