AMD 1800+

Old September 28th 03, 02:17 PM
Rodders

Default AMD 1800+

Hi can someone tell me if an AMD 1800+ based computer is a reasonable buy
for a family computer. It is being sold in a local paper for £325.

Full specs:-
256 RAM
40GIG H/D
52 x CD Writer
DVD Rom
Windows XP PRO
Office XP
Nortons 2003
Nic
Modern sound / graphics

What is the Intel equivalent to the 1800+

Thanks Rodders

Old September 28th 03, 03:02 PM
Peter Cavan

Hi
I suppose it depends what you need it for, a 'family PC' is quite a broad
term. If you have kids they might want games, but the latest FPS is far more
power intensive than an educational suite for 3 year olds.
Is it advertised by a company or a person? New or second hand? It doesn't
mention a monitor, speakers, printer etc, are these included? Somethings ae
very vague, like how fast is the memory? How fast is the HD? Do you get the
original CDs for the software? Is the sound and video onboard or on seperate
cards? If you are just going to be surfing the net, word processing etc this
won't really matter, but if you're going to be playing new games, doing
video editing, or something like that you might want the above questions
answered. Good for a first PC, but research first.The Intel equivalent to a
1800+ would be a 1.7 - 2.0 GHz P4.
Hope this helps
PC

Old September 28th 03, 05:24 PM
Shep©

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:17:32 +0100, In this world we created "Rodders"
wrote :

Hi can someone tell me if an AMD 1800+ based computer is a reasonable buy
for a family computer. It is being sold in a local paper for £325.

Full specs:-
256 RAM
40GIG H/D
52 x CD Writer
DVD Rom
Windows XP PRO
Office XP
Nortons 2003
Nic
Modern sound / graphics

What is the Intel equivalent to the 1800+

Thanks Rodders

Do a custom system build price check on here so you can get an idea of
what you could get new.
http://security.cclcomputers.co.uk/a...figurator.html

HTH

--
Free Windows/PC help,
It's a G not a J in jmx to reply
Old September 28th 03, 05:39 PM
Rodders

"Peter Cavan" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that Peter, It is from a private seller and is second hand, these
are the specs which are in the newspaper. It is my brother in law who is
looking and he has phoned a couple of times to ask about the monitor and
software but phone ringing out just now. I suspect that the graphics and
sound will be built in. I doubt it will have a printer. I suspect that the
Windows XP Pro may not be the original disc as that alone is almost the
price of the advertised system.

Rodders

Old September 28th 03, 07:50 PM
kony

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 14:17:32 +0100, "Rodders"
wrote:

Hi can someone tell me if an AMD 1800+ based computer is a reasonable buy
for a family computer. It is being sold in a local paper for £325.

Full specs:-
256 RAM
40GIG H/D
52 x CD Writer
DVD Rom
Windows XP PRO
Office XP
Nortons 2003
Nic
Modern sound / graphics

What is the Intel equivalent to the 1800+

Thanks Rodders

Find out if it has a decent or generic power supply, how loud the CPU
fan is, and if it has integrated graphics, does it also have an AGP
slot. Any of these issues might make it a bad deal, (or a really
flimsy case), but otherwise it's hard to speculate about a 2nd hand
system, there's a lot more than specs involved when there's no
assurance of quality, unless it's an OEM box, which doesn't guarantee
top-quality but at least a certain level of quality, indirect support,
and a larger user base.

If you or someone else very familiar with modern systems could go take
a careful look at it you might have a better idea of it's value.

Dave