8KNXP has no USB 2.0

Old February 10th 05, 03:43 AM
KatManDEW

Default 8KNXP has no USB 2.0

Hello;

I have a 8KNXP that is 1 1/2 years old and it appears that my USB
prots are not 2.0. I assume this means I need a BIOS upgrade (I have
version F5). I have a SATA mirrored SIL set. When I check the BIOS
updates it says;
-----------
Note! If your OS (like WinXP) is already installed on SATA HDDs under
ICH5R controller, please make sure to update ICH5R SATA RAID driver
from our IUCD 2.4 or Gigabyte website first, then update bios

Problem is that I'm not sure which driver to download. Can anyone
steer me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Old February 10th 05, 04:47 AM
IanO

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
Hello;

I have a 8KNXP that is 1 1/2 years old and it appears that my USB
prots are not 2.0. I assume this means I need a BIOS upgrade (I have
version F5). I have a SATA mirrored SIL set. When I check the BIOS
updates it says;
-----------
Note! If your OS (like WinXP) is already installed on SATA HDDs under
ICH5R controller, please make sure to update ICH5R SATA RAID driver
from our IUCD 2.4 or Gigabyte website first, then update bios

Problem is that I'm not sure which driver to download. Can anyone
steer me in the right direction?

Thanks.

Regarding the ICH5R, you don't say whether you have rev 1.0 or 2.0 of the
8KNXP, but I think the drivers are the same either way:
http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Download/Download.asp?DownloadPath=/MotherBoard/FileList/Driver/driver_raid_intel_icn6r(5r)_2.0.exe

I take it you have SP1 at least applied to your XP as that is a requirement
of USB 2.0. I can't see that the BIOS updates for this board are connected
with USB 2.0, so your issue may lie elsewhere anyway.

Ian.

Old February 10th 05, 04:55 AM
KatManDEW

I'm not sure, but I'm guessing I have rev 1.0 since it's so old. I
have XP SP1. What else could cause the problem with USB 2.0?

Thanks!

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:47:37 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

.. .

Old February 10th 05, 05:08 AM
KatManDEW

Turns out it may not be a USB 2.0 problem. The problem is when I
connect a Lexar Jumpdrive to one of the front USB ports. It works OK
when I connect it to a USB port on the back of the computer, but it's
a "Unknown device" if I connect it to a USB port on the front.
Everything else I have tried works when connected to a port on the
front.

Any ideas?

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:47:37 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

.. .

Old February 10th 05, 05:19 AM
IanO

The device driver I guess. Have you looked at the USB controllers in device
manager? Your on-board USB 2.0 controlelr is an Intel ich4. I know that
the Gigabyte site says to leave USB 2.0 support to SP1, but it should be
possible to obtain a driver all the same. Perhaps someone else can suggest
where as I couldn't see it at the intel site. Best I can offer for now.

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing I have rev 1.0 since it's so old. I
have XP SP1. What else could cause the problem with USB 2.0?

Thanks!

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:47:37 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

.. .

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Download/...=/MotherBoard/

Old February 10th 05, 07:36 AM
PhilD

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
Turns out it may not be a USB 2.0 problem. The problem is when I
connect a Lexar Jumpdrive to one of the front USB ports. It works OK
when I connect it to a USB port on the back of the computer, but it's
a "Unknown device" if I connect it to a USB port on the front.
Everything else I have tried works when connected to a port on the
front.

Any ideas?

Most interesting.
I'm having the exact same problem with multiple Acer desktops at work using
my personal Lexar Jumpdrive Elite. Another brand, but older, is intermittant
on the front ports. I convinced my boss that I need one at work, so he let
me go buy one. I forget the brand I got, but guess what, it works
consistantly on the front ports.

All 3 of the USB drives are supposed to be USB 2.0 but obviously there is
something peculiar to some brands etc. All 3 also function perfectly at home
on K8VNXP, XP Pro SP2. Acer support advised downloading USB 2.0 driver from
Microsoft and trying that instead of the file available for that m/board on
their own web site. Haven't been able to find the Microsoft link, if
available, yet. Nothing in BIOS or physically inside seems disabled. Must
dismantle one and find out more about m/board.

Maybe someone here can help both of us.

PhilD

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:47:37 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

. ..

Old February 10th 05, 07:46 PM
IanO

wrote in message
"PhilD" wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem with multiple Acer desktops at work

using
my personal Lexar Jumpdrive Elite. Another brand, but older, is

intermittant
on the front ports. I convinced my boss that I need one at work, so he

let
me go buy one. I forget the brand I got, but guess what, it works
consistantly on the front ports.

snip
Mmmmm, I wonder if the problem may be the jump drive. I too have a
Lexar 1 gig that cannot connect to my Dell notebook. Works on the
other two computers here though. Also works on my grandson's. Is
there a common thread here?

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.

As far as I know, the pins you connected your front ports to are controlled
by the same chip as the rear ports. However it is possible that the cable
or cables running to the front ports on the case are not wired for 2.0.

Ian (trying to bottom post as much as possible!)

Old February 11th 05, 01:36 AM
KatManDEW

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:46:11 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
"PhilD" wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem with multiple Acer desktops at work

using
my personal Lexar Jumpdrive Elite. Another brand, but older, is

intermittant
on the front ports. I convinced my boss that I need one at work, so he

let
me go buy one. I forget the brand I got, but guess what, it works
consistantly on the front ports.

snip
Mmmmm, I wonder if the problem may be the jump drive. I too have a
Lexar 1 gig that cannot connect to my Dell notebook. Works on the
other two computers here though. Also works on my grandson's. Is
there a common thread here?

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

As far as I know, the pins you connected your front ports to are controlled
by the same chip as the rear ports. However it is possible that the cable
or cables running to the front ports on the case are not wired for 2.0.

Ian (trying to bottom post as much as possible!)

Mine is a Lexar 1 gig. It works fine in the back ports on my 8KNXP,
but not the front ports. It works on my Dell laptop and in the front
ports on the IBM desktops at work.

Wonder how we can find out about the front port wiring to see if it's
correct, or if they even support 2.0? A jump drive is one of the
things that the front ports are the handiest for.....
Old February 11th 05, 02:30 AM
IanO

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:46:11 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
"PhilD" wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem with multiple Acer desktops at work

using
my personal Lexar Jumpdrive Elite. Another brand, but older, is

intermittant
on the front ports. I convinced my boss that I need one at work, so he

let
me go buy one. I forget the brand I got, but guess what, it works
consistantly on the front ports.
snip
Mmmmm, I wonder if the problem may be the jump drive. I too have a
Lexar 1 gig that cannot connect to my Dell notebook. Works on the
other two computers here though. Also works on my grandson's. Is
there a common thread here?

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

As far as I know, the pins you connected your front ports to are

controlled
by the same chip as the rear ports. However it is possible that the

cable
or cables running to the front ports on the case are not wired for 2.0.

Ian (trying to bottom post as much as possible!)

Mine is a Lexar 1 gig. It works fine in the back ports on my 8KNXP,
but not the front ports. It works on my Dell laptop and in the front
ports on the IBM desktops at work.

Wonder how we can find out about the front port wiring to see if it's
correct, or if they even support 2.0? A jump drive is one of the
things that the front ports are the handiest for.....

What case do you have? We are talking, aren't we, about ports built onto
your case with trailing cables terminating in pins or blocks for connection
to the headers on the Gigabyte board? Just to be clear! ;-) The header
pins for either USB standard are the same to all intents and purposes, but a
port, hub or cable can still be incapable of operating at USB 2.0 speeds.
In such cases only USB 1.1 speed is achieved. Since you achieve USB 2.0
hi-speed with the drive on your rear ports, I still suspect that the
socket/cable provided with your case cannot handle 2.0. It is sometimes
possible to replace these, but you are into specifics based on whose case
you have used.

You could go to EBUYER and purchase their internal USB 2.0 7-in-1 card
reader! As well as reading cards, it has a USB socket on it, which is
certified 2.0. It's a useful peripheral, and connects to the same USB header
on the motherboard. What's my point? It is to stop using the case front
ports, and replace them with another certified USB 2.0 device that provides
a USB socket.

Here is a really useful source of USB information:
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/directron/installusb.html

Old February 11th 05, 02:41 AM
IanO

"IanO" wrote in message

"KatManDEW" wrote in message
On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 18:46:11 -0000, "IanO" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
"PhilD" wrote:

I'm having the exact same problem with multiple Acer desktops at

work
using
my personal Lexar Jumpdrive Elite. Another brand, but older, is
intermittant
on the front ports. I convinced my boss that I need one at work, so

he
let
me go buy one. I forget the brand I got, but guess what, it works
consistantly on the front ports.
snip
Mmmmm, I wonder if the problem may be the jump drive. I too have a
Lexar 1 gig that cannot connect to my Dell notebook. Works on the
other two computers here though. Also works on my grandson's. Is
there a common thread here?

--
A: Maybe because some people are too annoyed by top-posting.
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
[...]

Sorry if my last message is a bit confusing, it's the middle of the night
here! Regarding the link I posted to USB information, the comments the
author makes about Gigabyte style headers are probably obsolete. My
experience with recent Gigabyte boards is that nowadays they are using very
much standard USB pin arrangements, and that it is easy to connect cases and
other devices such as card readers to these pins because of that.