GA-7VRXP Memory problems

Old August 26th 04, 10:36 AM
Simon Elliott

Default GA-7VRXP Memory problems

I'm having problems adding an extra 512MB of memory to my 256MB
GA-7VRXP W2K/W95 dual boot system and would appreciate some advice.

I've tried three different types of memory, two lots of PC2700 and now a
strip of PC2100 (Kingston branded). In each case the symptoms are the
same; The BIOS recognises the memory and POSTs, Windows starts loading,
crashes partway through the process and the machine restarts. This boot
loop would apparently continue forever if I don't interrupt it.

At first I suspected a HAL issue but W95 (which doesn't have one)
experiences the same symptoms. I've tried using the BIOS 'Failsafe
defaults'; I've tried using different slots - with and without the
original memory and I've tried upgrading the BIOS (F12 - very
unreliable, lots of blue screens, so backed out). In every case the
symptoms are pretty much the same. Either the CHKDSK crashes while
still counting down (always in the same place, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, bang!) or
occasionally, a BSOD ("PFN_list_corrupt",
"Driver_IRQL_not_less_or_equal", "KMODE_exception_not_handled" amongst a
selection) depending on the BIOS I'm using at the time.

On a couple of occasions I got the blue desktop background of a Windows
system starting up, but nothing happened (no "Loading Network Settings"
or "Security Settings" messages, keyboard and mouse apparently not
recognised) and I had to reboot.

I'm currently looking for a copy of the same brand as the original
memory (VData - found some on eBay); in the meantime, can anyone suggest
what might be going wrong? I'm puzzled because the board has been
thoroughly reliable since I originally built it.

--

Simon Elliott
Old August 27th 04, 01:04 AM
Homer J. Simpson

I had the same problem with my GA-7VRXP when I bought it over 2 years ago.

I had started off with1 module of 512MB generic PC2700. A few months later
I decided to add another 512MB PC2700 module, also generic but different
manufacturer. I began having the same problems that you are currently
having. Each module would work fine by itself, but as soon as the second
module was added, even using the most conservative BIOS memory settings, the
problems started.

Running memtest86 with each module by itself confirmed that there were no
problems with either of the individual modules. After adding the second
module and rerunning memtest86 confirmed that there were memory errors when
both modules are used together.

The solution was to bring both modules back to my vendor and exchange them,
at no extra cost to me, for a pair of modules from the same manufacturer and
same production lot. With the 2 new 512MB PC2700 modules together, running
memtest86 for several cycles confirms that there are no more errors.

This motherboard seems to be very sensitive to any mismatches in memory
modules.

. ..

Old August 27th 04, 10:27 AM
Simon Elliott

Homer J. Simpson wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the info Homer.

From my experience I would agree that the 7VRXP is unusually sensitive
to the memory installed. In my case I can't get it to recognise anything
other than the original memory, none of the new sticks I've tried
(including a stick of Kingston brand) have worked and I'm surprised I
ever managed to get the board working in the first place.

I'm currently looking for something matching the original memory and
hope to have some success with eBay.

In your case, what revision board do you have and what BIOS version were
you running at the time (if you can remember)? Is there a BIOS version
that's as stable as the F4 I'm currently running that might be
successful, the F12 I tried was useless?

Thanks again for your contribution. I've spent two weeks, on and off,
trying to get the board to accept some extra memory and it's good to
hear that it's not me doing something wrong - this board is very sensitive.

--

Simon
Old August 27th 04, 12:39 PM
Homer J. Simpson

My board is Rev. 2.0, with BIOS F12.

I know that the Rev 1.1 and earlier boards were very problematic with
certain highend video cards (GeForce4's at that time) and PC2700 RAM.

Homer J. Simpson wrote:

[...]

From my experience I would agree that the 7VRXP is unusually sensitive

Old August 27th 04, 04:18 PM
Simon Elliott

Homer J. Simpson wrote:

My board is Rev. 2.0, with BIOS F12.

I know that the Rev 1.1 and earlier boards were very problematic with
certain highend video cards (GeForce4's at that time) and PC2700 RAM.

Thanks Homer.

My board is Rev 1.1 and I'm currently using F4, I found F12 too
unreliable to use.

Goes to show you shouldn't believe everything you hear. My recently
purchased GeForce FX 5200 installed sweetly and has been rock solid in use.

Do you have any tips I could use to try and get this PC2100 working?

--

Simon
Old August 28th 04, 02:25 AM
Homer J. Simpson

Hi, Simon.

Try the following manual memory settings, instead of letting the motherboard
read the memory timings from the SPD ROM on the memory modules:

In the Chipset Features Setup page of the BIOS Setup try the following
conservative memory settings...

Top Performance isabled
Fast Command :Normal
Configure SDRAM by SPD isabled
SDRAM Frequency :266MHz
SDRAM CAS# Latency :2.5
SDRAM Command Rate :2T Command

If you are able to get to the hidden settings by pressing Ctrl F1 at the
main BIOS menu page and then going into the Chipset Features Setup page then
also try the following memory settings...

Precharge to Active CMD :3T
Active CMD to Precharge :7T
Active to CMD :3T
SDRAM Bank Interleave isabled
SDRAM Burst Length :4 QW
ClkGen for DDR/PCI Slots :Enabled

The above memory settings should be more conservative than the Fail-Safe
Values.

Old August 28th 04, 09:53 AM
Simon Elliott

Homer J. Simpson wrote:

[...]

I'll have a try with those and let you know how I get on.

--

Simon
Old August 29th 04, 12:38 PM
Simon Elliott

Homer J. Simpson wrote:

[...]

Hi Homer

Followed your suggestions, but no success.

I tried using the Chipset settings you suggested but couldn't find the
'hidden settings' to change those. CTL+F1 does nothing on my board and
I'm wondering if this something that came in with either the Rev 2.0
board or just a later version of the BIOS (currently F4)? I've looked
but cannot find this info on the Gigabyte website.

I'm currently awaiting the end of an Bay auction to see if I can get my
hands on a stick similar to my original memory. If not then I'll try
Crucial, given they seem to have a money back guarantee.

--

Simon
Old August 30th 04, 12:07 AM
Homer J. Simpson

Hi, Simon.

Do you know if your Rev. 1.1 board has the voltage regulation problem fixed?
A couple of years ago owners of the Rev. 1.1 boards RMA'd them and Gigabyte
repaired them and sent it back to them. The repair, if I remember
correctly, was the addition of a 4.7uF 30V tantalum capacitor on one leg of
a voltage regulator MOSFET next to the NB_FAN header.

Prior to the voltage regulation fix being available from Gigabyte some were
raising the AGP Voltage, DDR Voltage or VCore Voltage to get enough voltage
to the video card, memory modules or CPU respectively. This wasn't always
successful.

Old August 30th 04, 02:01 PM
Simon Elliott

Homer J. Simpson wrote:

Hi, Simon.

Do you know if your Rev. 1.1 board has the voltage regulation problem fixed?
A couple of years ago owners of the Rev. 1.1 boards RMA'd them and Gigabyte
repaired them and sent it back to them. The repair, if I remember
correctly, was the addition of a 4.7uF 30V tantalum capacitor on one leg of
a voltage regulator MOSFET next to the NB_FAN header.

Prior to the voltage regulation fix being available from Gigabyte some were
raising the AGP Voltage, DDR Voltage or VCore Voltage to get enough voltage
to the video card, memory modules or CPU respectively. This wasn't always
successful.

"Simon Elliott" wrote in message

Good question Homer. Honest answer, don't know.

To my knowledge the board has never been RMA'd. I bought it new from a
fair a couple of years ago, as the basis of my current box. It's not
clocked but has worked quite happily with the optimum settings

I can find the NB_FAN socket but don't know what a voltage regulator
MOSFET looks like. Is it one of several chip-like things running down
the left hand side of the socket? I can't see anything that looks like
an extra capacitor. As you can guess, I'm working at the limits of my
knowledge here.

Thanks for taking the time to help me. BTW, hows Midge? :-)

--

Simon