CPU..overheating??

Old April 25th 04, 07:04 PM
Mo

Thanks for the input Heckler,

4:04am here, the temp is now around 57C.. was steady around that yesterday
with a side panel off or on.

I have at times wondered how AMD managed to use the same cooler for hot and
cold climates! I surfed checking replacement fans a couple of evenings ago..
saw those you mentioned and am heading for the shop who did the board swap
on Tuesday.. ...ANZAC holiday here on Monday! Got to curse them for not
replacing heat sink tape damaged when they changed the board .. and they
have a stock of fan/coolers.

"Heckler ²°°³" wrote in message

"Mo" wrote in message
. au...
Hi,

I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat

sink
on the machine.

I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board

and
read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was

flashing
warnings.

I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as

63C.
The ambient was 22C.

Is there any way to determine what the actual temp of my CPU? I certainly
don't believe what is shown on the programs I've run.

Seems a little on the high side, but it is the AMD supplied heatsink and
fan, so it does the minimum it needs to. Every AMD heatsink/fan I've used or
seen gives an average CPU temp of around
54-58º

I'd suggest investing in a good heatsink/fan combo. I can recommend the
Coolermaster Dual Heat pipe with low speed fan, or the Coolermaster Aero7
and Jet 7.... I've had all 3 and the heatpipe gave an average of 48º on a
2800 but it's very quiet with a low speed fan. The Aero 7 and Jet 7 give an
average of 40º on low speed, and 44º on high speed.

Old April 25th 04, 07:33 PM
Garry Bryant

"Mo" wrote in message .au...
Hi,

I had to replace my GA-7N400-L1, useless after a bios update, with a
GA-700N-L yesterday. I have an AMD 2600 CPU with supplied fan and heat sink
on the machine.

I was browsing through the posts here for any info on this later m/board and
read about CPU temps.. I checked the temps on this machine with EasyTune4
and Aida32... in each case the temp was shown as 69C. EasyTune was flashing
warnings.

I could hold my finger in the heat sink of the CPU.. so after overnight
shutdown I checked the temp after bootup this morning. It was given as 63C.
The ambient was 22C.

My idle 2500+ temperatures on the GA-7N400-L a

System: 32C
CPU: 59-60C

Using a Zalman Flower CNPS6000-AlCu with its fan in silent mode, and
current ambient temp being 23C. The cooler has been reinstalled with a
different thermal compound with no difference.

The problem is not your cooler or mine. It is the 7N400-L's lack of a
functioning S2K bus disconnect. See my post of 12 April titled "High
idle CPU temperature -- no bus disconnect?" I reported the issue via
Gigabyte's support the following day and have still not received a
reply.

Gazza
Old April 26th 04, 10:55 PM
Stuart Cowan

GA-7N400 PRO2

XP 2500+

CPU Temp 60-64 degrees C

Also tried Athlon Thunderbird 1.2 which is sitting at 58 degrees C

Tried three different heatsinks and fans to with no success.

Anyone else having temperature problems with this board?

Never had temps like this on my old Epox 8kta3+ board with the Athlon 1.2.

Old April 26th 04, 11:17 PM
Lee Shipman

Don't know if this will help, but I had a similar situation with the
GA-7VT600-L-A. Couldn't get the temperature readings to come down at all,
but never experienced any problems either.

I installed the vcool CPU cooler software and one of its features is a CPU
& ambient temperature icon on the taskbar. The CPU temperature reads more
"normal", like 41 degrees C.

I've been running the 7VT600 for a month and have had no problems suggesting
high CPU temperature. Makes me wonder about the accuracy of the built-in
temperature monitor in the BIOS setup.

Lee

Old April 27th 04, 12:29 AM
Mo

I have to query that accuracy when I see a board/aux temps 10+ degrees over
ambient when I check seconds after start up. I mentioned/questioned that in
one of my earl posts.

Unfortunately I can't remember what readings I got on my old GA-7N400-L1
board. Although that board had a faulty bios from the day I set it up.

Old April 27th 04, 02:18 PM
Garry Bryant

"Mo" wrote in message . au...
I have to query that accuracy when I see a board/aux temps 10+ degrees over
ambient when I check seconds after start up. I mentioned/questioned that in
one of my earl posts.

Unfortunately I can't remember what readings I got on my old GA-7N400-L1
board. Although that board had a faulty bios from the day I set it up.

The 50-60C idle CPU temp has nothing to do with the accuracy of the
sensors (not to say that motherboard sensors are particularly
accurate, but that applies across the board). Again, it's the lack of
bus disconnect feature that allows your Athlon to run hot on the
GA-7N400-L.

Incidentally, I finally received a reply from Gigabyte today:

"About the issue you mentioned in your earlier mail, in fact, we found
bus disconnect feature, the system/CPU will not work properly. Thus,
our engineer design a special feature is called "CPU Thermal
throttling" and it is very similar to BUS DISCONNECT feature. When
CPU"s temperature is higher than the value of "CPU Warning Tempture"
setting, the option will decrease the CPU speed as the percentage you
set in BIOS automatically."

This doesn't even sound like a replacement for bus disconnect, but I
thought I'd fiddle with it anyway. To begin with, the "CPU Thermal
Throttling" setting doesn't even appear in the BIOS settings, but
after searching the web I found that I could expose this and other
"hidden" settings using CTRL-F1 from the main BIOS screen.

Setting the "CPU Warning Tempture" temp to 60C resulted in instant
beeping after reboot, since my idle CPU temp is currently over 60. The
"CPU Thermal Throttling" did nothing to reduce this. But setting CPU
Warning Tempture to 70C did expose the feature's usefulness. When I
ran burnk7 after a reboot, the CPU hit 70C then repeatedly bounced
between 68-71C. Normally, burnk7 would push it to 80C with my
heatsink's fan in silent mode.

But it's not even "throttling" the CPU in terms of voltage or clock
speed. What it seems to be doing is simply dropping cycles to reduce
the load burnk7 was putting on the CPU.

And unlike bus disconnect, the feature does absolutely nothing about
the unecessarily wasted power/heat when the CPU is idle or only
partially utilised.

Lee mentioned Vcool. I've had success with Durons on older, VIA-based
motherboards, but the effect of the Vcool (beta or alpha, with "cool
bit" selected or not) on the nForce2-nased 7N400-L with my 2500+ is
negligible.

There is a list of boards that do support bus disconnect in the BIOS
(no need for Vcool) at
http://forums.silentpcreview.com/viewtopic.php?t=9326

Gazza