Building PC, to floppy or not to floppy?

Old July 21st 03, 12:52 AM
R_Supp

"Matt" wrote in message
news:OICSa.94044$OZ2.20331@rwcrnsc54...

"Matt" wrote in message
et...
It's possible to build a PC without a floppy that is internal. Most
motherboards today support USB floppy. Thats what I use. I got Teac USB
floppy. As for PS/2 keyboard and mouse - these are all emulated through

the
USB ports. You no longer need PS/2 ports. And you don't need serial

ports
either as USB takes care of that. There are USB drivers for DOS that let

you
take advantage of a mouse and keyboard or other USB devices. I try to

avoid
DOS as much as possible. Crossing my fingers I haven't used it in the

last
6
months. The onlything I need DOS is for Symantec Ghost 2003 which by the

way
supports USB and firewire now. Do I use a PS/2 keyboard, mouse or serial
devices anymore? NOPE! All gone. Never had a problem. Although I keep

my
USB floppy around in a bag somewhere. And it works just like an internal
floppy to boot! My .02

BTW. For a true USB solution - use a flash card reader and boot from it!
Thats what I do most of the time. The 1.44MB size of a floppy is not
important when booting with a CompactFlash card. As a matter of fact my

boot
CF card is 256MB! Do you need a floppy nowadays? No.

There are quite a few reasons that pop into my mind to have a floppy drive
installed, however, the choice is yours.
If you can afford the $15 put one in.

Old July 21st 03, 05:00 AM
Snickers

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 01:21:06 GMT, jaeger wrote:

In article ,
says...
I'm considering not putting a floppy drive in my new computer. I have a LAN
and the other computers have floppies. Anyone see a reason why I should
include one? Thanks.
-- Scott

I haven't used one in almost 4 years, there is nothing you need it for.

Wrong. There are situations where you might need it. I still have to
use mine occasionally.
Old July 21st 03, 05:36 AM
Jesse

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 04:03:42 GMT, jaeger wrote:

Wrong. There are situations where you might need it.

Name one.

Adding 3rd party hard disk drivers or raid drivers during setup
System recovery using partition magic, nortons, others.
Old July 21st 03, 11:30 AM
Darmok

On Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:34:37 GMT, "Scott"
wrote:

I'm considering not putting a floppy drive in my new computer. I have a LAN
and the other computers have floppies. Anyone see a reason why I should
include one? Thanks.
-- Scott

If you're going to run Windows XP, and expect to be able to make an
ASR (automated System Recovery) file set, you WILL need a floppy
drive, as that is where the data for the file set is stored. I bought
my last Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop without a floppy drive, figuring I'd
use a USB jump drive. However, there is no way to complete an ASR set
without a floppy. Fortunately, I found a modular floppy for my 8200
on eBay for $19.99 (rather than the $89 that Dell wanted!).

Cheers