LED power requirement.

Old November 28th 11, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

Default LED power requirement.

I have one of these cases:
http://tiny.cc/xzd0b

It has two LEDs behind the from cover that are not connected. The
plug has 2 wires, Black and Red with a mall connector similar to a
system fan plug. I am trying to identify where I can attack this to
get the LEDs to light but I have no idea what voltage it needs or if I
can simply splice it into a Molex connector. I have searched and left
messages on various forums but no reply. Apparently no one still uses
this older case.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can hook this wire to?

Thanks.

Al.
Old November 29th 11, 12:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Allen Drake wrote:

I have one of these cases:
http://tiny.cc/xzd0b

It has two LEDs behind the from cover that are not connected.
The plug has 2 wires, Black and Red with a mall connector
similar to a system fan plug. I am trying to identify where I
can attack this to get the LEDs to light but I have no idea what
voltage it needs or if I can simply splice it into a Molex
connector.

I think you need a resistance in series. If you try to light an
LED without a series resistor, you will have a dead LED. If you
can figure out the LED drop voltage, you can subtract that from
your DC power supply voltage and then figure the current for a
given resistance. But you need to know about the LED.

I cannot imagine anyone telling you what the LED is, that
information does not come with a case. If there are no markings on
the LED, you could take a macro picture, post it, and maybe
somebody can identify it. I would post that link to a macro
picture of your LED to an electronics group. They might give you a
good guess about the proper voltage and series resistance.

If you just want to light an LED, you can buy plenty that come
with the data. Then you can connect it to a Molex connector
through a resistor to get the data specified LED current.

Old November 29th 11, 12:15 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Another possibility... You could try connecting the LED through
one of your 5 V DC connectors. And use a variable resistor set to
limit the current to 5 or 10 milliamps. And then carefully adjust
the resistor to the brightness you want. Then if you want the
variable resistor for some other use maybe later, you can
disconnect it and use a fixed resistor. I used to mess around a
lot with LEDs. I think a standard sized LED might take up to about
20 milliamps, but I'm sure LEDs have changed a lot since then. I
don't recall very many blue LEDs at the time
Old November 29th 11, 02:11 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On 28 Nov 2011 23:15:02 GMT, John Doe wrote:

Another possibility... You could try connecting the LED through
one of your 5 V DC connectors. And use a variable resistor set to
limit the current to 5 or 10 milliamps. And then carefully adjust
the resistor to the brightness you want. Then if you want the
variable resistor for some other use maybe later, you can
disconnect it and use a fixed resistor. I used to mess around a
lot with LEDs. I think a standard sized LED might take up to about
20 milliamps, but I'm sure LEDs have changed a lot since then. I
don't recall very many blue LEDs at the time

The lead goes to something that is underneath a rubber cover that
then connects to two tube shaped LEDs. From many hours of searching
all I could come up with about that case complaints about no
documentation so I thought someone on this group has encountered
similar situations. I will have to cut open that rubber and see what's
inside and take some photos like you say.

Thanks.

Al.
Old November 29th 11, 02:35 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
VanguardLH[_2_]

Allen Drake wrote:

I have one of these cases:
http://tiny.cc/xzd0b

I don't visit redirects unless there is a description or a preview mode
to tell the user where they are really going to visit.

Besides, the real question isn't about what these LEDs are for but
rather where to connect them - and that is a motherboard inquery but you
didn't identify the motherboard (brand and model).

It has two LEDs behind the from cover that are not connected. The
plug has 2 wires, Black and Red with a mall connector similar to a
system fan plug. I am trying to identify where I can attack this to
get the LEDs to light but I have no idea what voltage it needs or if I
can simply splice it into a Molex connector. I have searched and left
messages on various forums but no reply. Apparently no one still uses
this older case.

Does anyone have any ideas where I can hook this wire to?

One would be to the PWR header on the motherboard. The other would be
to the HDD header (to show hard disk activity).

Your motherboard didn't come with a manual that defines the various
headers on it? There isn't an online copy of the manual at the
motherboard maker's web site?
Old November 29th 11, 05:28 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Grinder

On 11/28/2011 7:11 PM, Allen Drake wrote:
On 28 Nov 2011 23:15:02 GMT, John wrote:

[...]

Are you sure that those "tube shaped LEDs" aren't cold cathode tubes?
Old November 29th 11, 05:52 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

VanguardLH V nguard.LH wrote:

Allen Drake wrote:

I have one of these cases:
http://tiny.cc/xzd0b

I don't visit redirects unless there is a description or a
preview mode to tell the user where they are really going to
visit.

Besides, the real question isn't about what these LEDs are for
but rather where to connect them - and that is a motherboard
inquery but you didn't identify the motherboard (brand and
model).

It's at the link, MouthGuard.

Just move your little mouse up there and press the little mouse
button... AND BOOM, YOUR WHOLE DAMN COMPUTER EXPLODES!!!

Whatta wimp.

From: VanguardLH V nguard.LH
Newsgroups: alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Subject: LED power requirement.
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:35:10 -0600
Sender: VanguardLH no-email

Old November 29th 11, 09:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 22:28:09 -0600, Grinder
wrote:

[...]

No I am not. What would that mean as far as getting them to work? That
just might be what they are. They look like tubes with bubbles
suspended in some sort of liquid.
Old November 29th 11, 10:00 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
John Doe

Allen Drake ALDrake Spamex.com wrote:

Grinder wrote:
Allen Drake wrote:
John wrote:

[...]

Apparently that is the question.

No I am not. What would that mean as far as getting them to
work? That just might be what they are. They look like tubes
with bubbles suspended in some sort of liquid.

Okay buddy, pull it over...
Old November 29th 11, 10:04 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Allen Drake

On Mon, 28 Nov 2011 19:35:10 -0600, VanguardLH wrote:

Allen Drake wrote:

[...]

The URL was very long but it really doesn't matter about the photo

http://www.arcticmod.com/computer-mo...ilver-s.e..htm

I have been unable to locate a manual but one review site adds this

"optional UV CCFL that A-Top offers with the Gladiator and its power
supply"

So that must mean they are cold cathode florescent lights. Now I have
something to search for.

Thanks.

Al