Hibernate and suspend simply not supported on GA-K8N Pro?

Old April 29th 08, 01:48 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

Default Hibernate and suspend simply not supported on GA-K8N Pro?

To run the SiI3512 interface in BASE mode, use this driver:
http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3x12-x86-1.3.68.2-logo.zip
from
http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=29&cid=3&ctid=2&osid =4&.

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:59:08 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 23:13:03 -0400, Paul wrote:

wrote:
: On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:44:52 -0700, Andy wrote:
:
: :All you should have to do is uninstall the old graphics driver,
: :reboot, then install the new graphics driver, and reboot again.
:
: OK, so I downloaded the latest nVidia WHQL driver, the one you linked me
: to today ( 169.21_forceware_winxp_32bit_english_whql.exe ) and I was
: about to do as you say above when I thought I'd continue what I was
: doing earlier in the day before I took a break from all this -- I had
: done a google on "standby greyed out" and got lots of hits. On the
: second Google page was this one:
:
: http://forums.windrivers.com/showthread.php?t=81547
:
: A guy suggested the fellow having the problem do an Everest Home Edition
: report and paste it in a post. Having the program already installed, I
: did a report and started searching through it for a clue. I left off at
: around 25% into the long report. Just now, I decided to look further
: into the report before uninstalling my display driver and installing the
: new one. I noticed this about my rather newish 500 GB SATA HD:
:
: [ SAMSUNG HD501LJ (S0MUJ1PP310938) ]
:
: ATA Device Properties:
: Model ID SAMSUNG HD501LJ
: Serial Number S0MUJ1PP310938
: Revision CR100-10
: Parameters 969021 cylinders, 16 heads, 63
: sectors per track, 554 bytes per sector
: LBA Sectors 976773168
: Buffer 16 MB (Dual Ported, Read Ahead)
: Multiple Sectors 16
: ECC Bytes 4
: Max. PIO Transfer Mode PIO 4
: Max. UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 6 (ATA-133)
: Active UDMA Transfer Mode UDMA 5 (ATA-100)
: Unformatted Capacity 516064 MB
:
: ATA Device Features:
: SMART Supported
: Security Mode Supported
: Power Management Supported
: Advanced Power Management Not Supported
: Write Cache Supported
: Host Protected Area Supported
: Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
: Automatic Acoustic Management Supported
: 48-bit LBA Supported
: Device Configuration Overlay Supported
:
: ATA Device Manufacturer:
: Company Name Samsung
: Product Information
: http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/index.htm
: - - - -
: In particular, I noticed where it said:
:
: Advanced Power Management Not Supported
: ...and...
: Power-Up In Standby Not Supported
:
: So, I figuring it was another wild goose chase (I've been doing them all
: weekend trying to resolve this!), I went into the BIOS and disabled SATA
: HD support. Upon rebooting, my 500 GB SATA drive is no longer seen, but
: my Standby and Hibernate are suddenly ENABLED!
:
: I find this amazing. SATA HD's are supposed to be an advance, a relative
: newcomer in the PC storage scene, and installing one has disabled my
: ACPI! I wonder if there is a workaround? Maybe if I get an SATA
: controller card?? Or maybe if I get a different SATA HD?
:
: Dan
:
:I checked my Everest report, and I have an older Seagate drive, not even
:a SATA drive. My ATA Device Features are the same as yours, only
:my "Automatic Acoustic Management" is "Not Supported". And my ACPI
:is working. I'd say you're on to something, but it may not be the
:hard drive. It could be the driver that controls the SATA interface,
:whatever one is being used. Possible drivers would be a default
:Microsoft one, or a chipset driver you installed when you used
:the motherboard CD.
:
:There is a program called "dummpo.exe" you can get from Microsoft. One
:web site (a site in France), showed an example where dumppo had highlighted
:a driver as not being compatible with ACPI. Implying that dumppo could
:detect a problem. I'm not as hopeful myself, suspecting that it cannot
:detect every problem. But maybe, if it uses the same logic and checks
:the same facilities as the OS does, it will arrive at a correct answer.
:
:Look for "LEGACY DRIVER DETECTED" on this page. This is a very large web page,
:so allow a couple minutes for it to render. This is an archived copy.
:
:http://web.archive.org/web/200404040...ndows2000.html
:
umppo runs in a DOS command box, and doesn't have a GUI. The following
:is from a previous posting.
:
:*******
:ftp://ftp.microsoft.com/Products/Oem...cpi/dumppo.exe
:
:dumppo options:
:
: CAP = Capabilities
: PS = Power Supply
: BS = Battery Supply
: ADMIN = Administration
: AC = AC Power Settings
: DC = DC Power Settings
: AC MAXSLEEP=Sx
: AC MINSLEEP=Sx
: where x is the ACPI value (1 & 3)
:
:You run the program in a command (DOS) window, and a basic command to
:try would be "dumppo cap" to get capabilities.
:
:Some other users having fun with Dumppo he
:
:"dumppo admin /ac minsleep=S3"
:http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.p...8&postcount=31
:*******
:
:HTH,
: Paul

Thanks. I had the idea to disconnect the HD from the PC and see if ACPI
was working when SATA was enabled. If it did, then I could assume that
the HD was at fault, and not the SATA driver or chip. My experiment this
morning confirmed this, i.e. ACPI still didn't work when the HD was
disconnected, so I figured I could rule out problems with the Samsung
HD. Further experimenting revealed that (while leaving SATA Enabled)
changing the "Serial ATA Function" in the BIOS from BASE to RAID
restored ACPI functionality, and that my SATA HD appears to function OK
with that setting.

I have no idea why this would be so. It's either a workaround or maybe
it's supposed to work that way, I don't know. I have no intention of
setting up a RAID array of any kind at this time. I figured that this
being the case, and having only one SATA HD installed, that BASE was the
proper setting for that function in the BIOS. Maybe I was mistaken, or
maybe it's a glitch in the driver. Maybe I should contact Gigabyte and
ask for an explanation. I'm wondering if there's a downside to running
the single SATA HD as RAID.

Unfortunately, the installation CD for this MB is unreadable. It's
fairly warped and my DVD burner can't read it. I tried to unwarp it by
pressing between flat surfaces, clamped in the oven at 150F for over an
hour, but the experiment failed! Meantime, I'd downloaded a slew of
drivers for the MB from Gigabyte's website and installed them after
that a manual was included with the MB (packaged as new, and obviously
new although the MB is from 2004 or so), that's entitled:

SATA RAID Function
(Only for Chipset SiI3112 Used)
-------------------------------------
User's Manual

However, I downloaded the driver for this (at the page for this MB), and
tried to install it and the installation failed. I looked up the spec
for the MB at Gigabyte's website and it says the included chip is
SiI3512! That's the one shown as correctly installed in Device Manager.
Since changing the Serial ATA Function from BASE to RAID, a yellow
question mark has disappeared from Device Manager for a disk controller,
so I guess that change was advisable.

Dan

Old April 29th 08, 02:09 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:48:43 -0700, Andy wrote:

:To run the SiI3512 interface in BASE mode, use this driver:
:http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3x12-x86-1.3.68.2-logo.zip
:from
:http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=29&cid=3&ctid=2&osid =4&.

Thanks Andy. Appreciated.

Dan
:
wrote:
:: On Sun, 27 Apr 2008 16:44:52 -0700, Andy wrote:
::
[...]
:: - - - -
:: In particular, I noticed where it said:
::
:: Advanced Power Management Not Supported
:: ...and...
::*******
[...]
:-------------------------------------
:User's Manual
:

Old April 29th 08, 02:38 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 17:48:43 -0700, Andy wrote:

:
:To run the SiI3512 interface in BASE mode, use this driver:
:http://www.siliconimage.com/docs/3x12-x86-1.3.68.2-logo.zip
:from
:http://www.siliconimage.com/support/supportsearchresults.aspx?pid=29&cid=3&ctid=2&osid =4&.

Thanks again, Andy. I was skeptical, but this does work. Windows didn't
want to install the driver, and I wasn't sure how to go about it. The
readme.htm file included wanted me to install a PCI card and have
Windows ask me to install new HD. Obviously I couldn't do that.

What I did was ask Windows to update the driver for the controller that
was already installed, and I pointed to the directory where I exploded
the download zip. Windows said it couldn't confirm that it would work
and it was risky. I went through with it anyway, rebooted, changed to
BASE in the BIOS for the SATA controller and the device is working and I
have Suspend and Hibernate. Hopefully, the anomalies I've been having
the last day or so will disappear as well, including a lockup when I
woke the system from suspend, the system being unwilling to awake from
suspend by Alarm, and inaccessible taskbar and occasional Explorer
windows!

What seems strange is that apparently if I want to change my
configuration to SATA RAID, I'll have to install the other driver,
replacing this one.

Dan
Old May 1st 08, 10:52 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 16:44:18 -0400, in
alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte you wrote:

an Musicant wrote:
:
:[big snip]
:
[...]
: -------------------------------------
: User's Manual
:
: However, I downloaded the driver for this (at the page for this MB),
: and tried to install it and the installation failed. I looked up the
: spec for the MB at Gigabyte's website and it says the included chip is
: SiI3512! That's the one shown as correctly installed in Device
: Manager. Since changing the Serial ATA Function from BASE to RAID, a
: yellow question mark has disappeared from Device Manager for a disk
: controller, so I guess that change was advisable.
:
: Dan
:
:Setting a hard drive to RAID has no negative consequences. What it does
:do is support SATA drive functions, such as AHCI. On my Asus MB, the
:selection is IDE, AHCI and RAID. Running one drive in RAID mode simply
rovides the AHCI driver for the SATA drive. It makes no difference if
:it's set to RAID, or AHCI. The advantage is having Native Command
:Queuing, or faster accesses with certain types of files.
:
:You can, of course, run it as a IDE drive, using MS standard drivers.
:

Well, I installed the SATALink driver for the siI3512, latest version,
the one Andy linked me to and although Standby and Hibernation are
enabled, I have been finding that unless the machine's only been asleep
a short while (haven't kept stats) the machine does not successfully
restore to Windows. Video never comes up. In hibernate, the machine
posts OK and then it reports that Windows is starting a restore from
hibernation and after 10 seconds or so the screen goes blank (soft
glow), the numlock-on light appears on my keyboard (I never use numlock)
and the machine becomes completely unresponsive necessitating a reset.

I get similar behavior using S3 Standby (don't recall if the numlock
light goes on, however).

I just did an experiment, being removal of the driver mentioned above, a
switch to RAID for the SATA device in the BIOS and installation of the
RAID SATA driver currently at Gigabyte's site for my GA-K8N Pro MB. I
brought the machine into hibernation and came back in 3 hours and it did
restore, so I'm hopeful. Could just be a coincidence that it worked this
time, and I will be monitoring the situation. Maybe with a 12 hour
lapse, it will fail again.

Dan
Old May 2nd 08, 12:25 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

After going back to the RAID driver, in an effort to make Standby and
Hibernate function properly I wasn't happy because it just said "Raid
Controller" for the device. It used to specify Silicon Image etc. So I
went to SI's website and downloaded and installed the lastest RAID
driver for the device, version 1.0.60.0, dated 2/2007. It's not
correctly described, and the install went a lot easier because there was
a .cpl file, which Windows was looking for. Will have to monitor the
ACPI behavior.

Dan
Old May 2nd 08, 03:31 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:25:59 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

:After going back to the RAID driver, in an effort to make Standby and
:Hibernate function properly I wasn't happy because it just said "Raid
:Controller" for the device. It used to specify Silicon Image etc. So I
:went to SI's website and downloaded and installed the lastest RAID
:driver for the device, version 1.0.60.0, dated 2/2007. It's not
:correctly described, and the install went a lot easier because there was
:a .cpl file, which Windows was looking for. Will have to monitor the
:ACPI behavior.
:
an

The experiment failed. I just tried to restore from hibernation and the
system went into deep sleep, no video, the numlock light on... ergo,
reset. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?
Old May 4th 08, 11:00 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

wrote:

:After going back to the RAID driver, in an effort to make Standby and
:Hibernate function properly I wasn't happy because it just said "Raid
:Controller" for the device. It used to specify Silicon Image etc. So I
:went to SI's website and downloaded and installed the lastest RAID
:driver for the device, version 1.0.60.0, dated 2/2007. It's not
:correctly described, and the install went a lot easier because there was
:a .cpl file, which Windows was looking for. Will have to monitor the
:ACPI behavior.
:
an

The experiment failed. I just tried to restore from hibernation and the
system went into deep sleep, no video, the numlock light on... ergo,
reset. Anyone have any idea what might be wrong?

The motherboard has problems with standby and possibly hibernation. I
bought the GA-K8N Pro with an Athlon 64 3000+ in January 2004 and used
it primarily as a DVR for nearly four years. I don't recall any
details, but probably because standby and/or hibernation did not work
reliably, I always manually turned on the computer when I wanted to
record a program.

Since I replaced the K8N Pro with a GA-945P-S3 and E2140 dual core
CPU, scheduled recordings now wake up the computer from standby and
place it back to sleep after the recording is done.

To refresh my memory, I dug out my K8N Pro board and installed Windows
XP on both an IDE drive, and an SATA drive. For both installations,
standby does not work. When coming out of standby, the power supply
turns on, but the power LED remains dark; for Windows on the IDE
drive, the drive busy LED remains dark, and for Windows on the SATA
drive, the drive busy LED flashes twice every two seconds. The power
button can turn the power supply on and off, but the hardware is in
such a state that the reset button cannot reset the motherboard/CPU.
The only way to get the computer working again is to recycle the +5
volt standby power. However, hibernation seems to work, but this is
with just an FX-5500 graphics card installed.

If you want reliable standby and hibernation, I suggest getting a
motherboard that has been made within the last two years. Boards that
work fine for me include MSI 945GM3-F, MSI 945P Neo3-F,
GA-8I945GZME-RH, GA-945P-S3, and GA-M61P-S3,
Old May 5th 08, 06:58 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

:
:wrote:
:
[...]
:** Posted from http://www.teranews.com **

Thanks very much for posting this and for digging out your old GA K8N
Pro mobo and testing. My results are similar except that reset works,
whereas the power button does not... that is unless I hold it down,
probably for 4+ seconds, although I do not have the 4+ seconds option
for power button response selected in the BIOS. I haven't been paying
attention to the power LED. My only booting partition at the moment is
on an IDE drive, although I plan to add some more. My plans were to
install on other partitions of the same HD, not on my SATA drive.

I suspected that the problem was involved with the motherboard, but your
post was needed to drive the point home. I just ran a pass on my two new
sticks of PC3200 DDR (1 GB each), with memtest86 v3.2, to test the
possibility that I was suffering from bad memory. The pass gave no
errors. It's a good idea to have run that test, in any case. I figured
my next step was to swap out my nvidia 6600 GTOC AGP for my nvidia 4600
AGP and see if there is a difference. Even if Standby and Hibernate
function with that display card, I'm not sure I want to use that card
regularly. I might for a while, since I would like to use sleep modes
daily, but only occasionally use dual display. Besides, I can use the
VGA output from the 4600 card to drive the 2nd monitor if I want to.

Meantime, I'll keep an eye out for those motherboards you suggest.

Truly, I haven't used any sleep modes with my PCs for years, since
hibernate stopped working on my Windows 2000 system, but having recently
gotten a laptop (Lenovo T60), I've come to appreciate Standby and rue
the fact that I can't use it on my office machine.
Old May 6th 08, 02:33 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
[email protected]

On Mon, 05 May 2008 10:58:38 -0700, Dan Musicant )
wrote:

:On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:00:18 -0700, Andy wrote:
:
::On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:31:04 -0700, Dan Musicant )
::wrote:
::
::On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:25:59 -0700, Dan Musicant )
::wrote:
::
:::After going back to the RAID driver, in an effort to make Standby and
:::Hibernate function properly I wasn't happy because it just said "Raid
:::Controller" for the device. It used to specify Silicon Image etc. So I
:::went to SI's website and downloaded and installed the lastest RAID
:::driver for the device, version 1.0.60.0, dated 2/2007. It's not
:::correctly described, and the install went a lot easier because there was
:::a .cpl file, which Windows was looking for. Will have to monitor the
:::ACPI behavior.
:::
::an
::
[...]

I checked out all the MB's you suggested, and the last looks most
attractive among the lot, mainly because of the 4 PCI slots, making it
more suitable as an HTPC, which mine does as well as other general
computing tasks. I need two slots just for my HDTV card and
daughterboard. I also use firewire occasionally, so onboard firewire or
at least an open PCI slot for my firewire card would be nice. I fax
occasionally, using a PCI modem, so that takes a slot. Not having a
firewire connection on the front of my case, I rely on one on the back
somehow.

Another socket 754 AGP board would be easiest for me because I could use
my CPU and video card and DDR PC3200. Do you have any idea of the

GIGABYTE GA-K8NS PRO

That's socket 754, etc. Do you think it might also have ACPI issues?
It's an nforce3 250, so maybe those issues were worked out by then.

TIA

Dan
Old May 6th 08, 09:49 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.mainboard.gigabyte
Andy

wrote:

:On Sun, 04 May 2008 15:00:18 -0700, Andy wrote:
:
::On Thu, 01 May 2008 19:31:04 -0700, Dan Musicant )
::wrote:
::
::On Thu, 01 May 2008 16:25:59 -0700, Dan Musicant )
::wrote:
::
[...]

Is this the MDP-130?

I also use firewire occasionally, so onboard firewire or
at least an open PCI slot for my firewire card would be nice. I fax
occasionally, using a PCI modem, so that takes a slot. Not having a
firewire connection on the front of my case, I rely on one on the back
somehow.

Another socket 754 AGP board would be easiest for me because I could use
my CPU and video card and DDR PC3200. Do you have any idea of the

GIGABYTE GA-K8NS PRO

That's socket 754, etc. Do you think it might also have ACPI issues?
It's an nforce3 250, so maybe those issues were worked out by then.

I've never used this board, so I have no idea. There's no way of
knowing for sure without actually trying it.

There is one motherboard with five PCI slots that is currently in
production, and that is the GA-P35-S3G.

TIA

Dan