8knxp, Audigy or Onboard sound?

Old October 21st 03, 09:54 PM
Toke Lahti

Mr E wrote:
Toke Lahti wrote:
Mr E wrote:
Toke Lahti wrote:
I still don't understand this conversation.
If sound is really a priority, then only solution is to use real
hifi amplifier and loudspeakers and the most logical way to get the
sound to the amplifier is through spdif.
This is fine if you have digital music. If you want to record actual
music, you need to digitise it first. The cards give better results.
Of course you are right that good amplifiers and speakers are needed
to make the most of the sound output.

Yep, but same goes when digitizing analog audio:
I'll get it with spdif-in...

Spdif is a way to transfer digital files (without the degradation associated
with converting to analog). If your original sound is analog (i.e. someone
playing a trumpet) you need to first convert it to digital before you can
use spdif. No?

Of course and I let my hifi amplifier do the ad-conversion, so there is
no pc electronics interference messing up the analog sound...

--
___ / ` . Selkämerenkatu 18 A 11
_ _/______ | ` ` . ten.epa FIN-00180 Helsinki Finl

Old October 21st 03, 11:13 PM
Mr E

Toke Lahti wrote:

Of course and I let my hifi amplifier do the ad-conversion, so there
is no pc electronics interference messing up the analog sound...

OK, so you are using the amplifier for input and output so you don't need
the pc at all.

But the O.P. was planning to use his pc for sound (for whatever purpose) and
wanted to
know whether the on-board solution was as good as a sound card and the
answer is that
it isn't.

I'm sure you are right that if you want the best possible sound then you are
better off using
high end digital amplifiers with a DAC front end etc. together with a proper
digital studio mixer, however
I guess we are now into the really big cash league.

Take care,

John.

Old October 22nd 03, 12:23 AM
Toke Lahti

Mr E wrote:
Toke Lahti wrote:
Of course and I let my hifi amplifier do the ad-conversion, so there
is no pc electronics interference messing up the analog sound...

OK, so you are using the amplifier for input and output so you don't need
the pc at all.

Pc is used for recording and playback. What's new?

But the O.P. was planning to use his pc for sound (for whatever purpose) and
wanted to
know whether the on-board solution was as good as a sound card and the
answer is that
it isn't.

And I'm saying that best way to use pc with on-board or card sound is with
spdif in and out. Many of us have mini discs and cd-rw-decks and that sort
of staff that can handle ad- and da-conversion much better than any sound
card in consumer price range. Even many dvd players have karaoke functions
with mic-plugs and spdif-out.

I'm sure you are right that if you want the best possible sound then you are
better off using
high end digital amplifiers with a DAC front end etc. together with a proper
digital studio mixer, however
I guess we are now into the really big cash league.

Well, I'm not so sure are these amplifiers with digital in and out so rare
and expensive. Most of home theater amplifiers have these connections.
I've had my pre-amp since -91 with digital input and output.

t-)

Old October 22nd 03, 05:24 PM
Mr E

Toke Lahti wrote:
Mr E wrote:
Toke Lahti wrote:
[...]

O.K. Toke, thanks for your insights. I have learned quite a bit from this
conversation.

John.

Old October 22nd 03, 07:21 PM
BOFH

I have to agree with Timothy here. It all depends on your purpose of the
8KNXP. I use mine mainly for video editing. I use the onboard sound because
all I need to know is if the sound is clear or not and synced with the
video. This hardly calls for the quality of an Audigy type board. However,
in my soundroom, I have an Audigy 2 Platinum where I can appreciate the
greater quality.

BOFH

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
Actually I used the on-board sound for a month or two, and was impressed
with it.

"Richard Dower" wrote in message

"Timothy Drouillard" wrote in message
Actually, yes I have an Audigy 2 Platinum, but my point to others, is

try
the on-board sound for themselves. On-board sound controllers have

come
long way in the last year or two, and there's a good chance that the
on-board sound on the GA-8KNXP may be just fine for some people.

Don't discount the on-board sound as second-rate automatically just

because
it's built into the motherboard. Try it first then decide whether to

buy
seperate sound card.

My point is you discounted it, as did i, and went straight to an Audigy

2.

Old October 22nd 03, 07:25 PM
BOFH

The Audigy 2 is like the cadillac of audio cards. If you have the bucks, it
is the one to get, unless you are shooting for more esoteric and more
expensive cards. The Audigy has many built in decoders that your typical
onboard sound chip does not provide. In fact, the Audigy is one of the few
audio cards I have seen which will accomodate the new DVD-Audio format.

"Toke Lahti" wrote in message
Mr E wrote:
I had some problems with the on-board sound - it is true that it works

and
is adequate if sound is not your priority. Certainly good enough for

games

I still don't understand this conversation.
If sound is really a priority, then only solution is to use real hifi
amplifier and loudspeakers and the most logical way to get the sound
to the amplifier is through spdif.
Is there really diffrences between these cards when using spdif?

Old October 22nd 03, 07:27 PM
BOFH

This is not necessarily so. A lot of mainstream mid-fi amps and receivers
are starting to include digital connections. If one is in the market for a
new receiver, it is easier to get one WITH digital connections than one
without.

Old October 22nd 03, 09:54 PM
Toke Lahti

BOFH wrote:
The Audigy 2 is like the cadillac of audio cards. If you have the bucks, it
is the one to get, unless you are shooting for more esoteric and more
expensive cards. The Audigy has many built in decoders that your typical
onboard sound chip does not provide. In fact, the Audigy is one of the few
audio cards I have seen which will accomodate the new DVD-Audio format.

Btw, does audigy2 output digital audio in its native sampling frequency
(32,44.1,48,192kHz)?
How about recording through digital input?
If not, has the conversion very good quality?