Minolta 5400 & X-Pan

Old November 17th 03, 12:10 PM
Robert Meyers

Default Minolta 5400 & X-Pan

Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone knows if the Minolta 5400 is compatible with the
film format from the X-Pan?

I am interested in a scanner, but I wanted to make sure it was compatible
with a camera I will be using for some projects (and possibly later, buy).

Thanks all!

Old November 17th 03, 03:05 PM
CSM1

"Robert Meyers" wrote in message
Hello all,

I am wondering if anyone knows if the Minolta 5400 is compatible with the
film format from the X-Pan?

I am interested in a scanner, but I wanted to make sure it was compatible
with a camera I will be using for some projects (and possibly later, buy).

Thanks all!

The short answer is, NO.
http://www2.konicaminolta.jp/english...5400/spec.html

The specs say:
Scan size & input pixels (max.)
35mm film: 24.61 x 36.69mm, 5232 x 7800 pixels

The max frame is 36.69mm, your X-Pan max frame is 65mm.

X-Pan Spec. http://www.xpan.com/tech.html
FORMAT:
24x36 mm and 24x65 mm.

A Medium format film scanner might be adapted to scan a 24mm X 65mm frame.

A review of the Nikon Super CoolScan 8000 ED Film & Slide Scanner.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/CS8K/C8A.HTM

A review of the Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro Film & Slide Scanner.
http://www.imaging-resource.com/SCAN/DSMP/DSMA.HTM

There may be other medium format film scanners, these are two that I know
about.

The Epson Photo 3200 flatbed scanner can scan a 24 x 65mm frame, but is not
as good as a film scanner.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

Old November 17th 03, 05:43 PM
Robert Meyers

Reason I was wondering is that it can scan a series of six frames. I was
really wondering if it could just continue down the strip (ala x-pan).

news

Old November 18th 03, 02:25 PM
CSM1

The six frame film strip holder has frame dividers (cross pieces) that would
be in the middle of the 65mm scan, even if the scanner could be tricked into
scanning more than the length of one frame.

The way a 35mm film scanner works for scanning a film strip is, it previews
or scans each frame one at a time. It really does six separate scans and
saves six separate files. The scan size is limited to the size of the 35mm
frame (24mm X 36mm) and by the mechanics of the scanning mechanism.

The Minolta 5400 would work great for all of the "normal" 35mm shots with
the X-Pan Camera, but will not scan more then about half of the Panorama. It
is possible to scan one half of the frame and move the filmstrip and scan
the other half frame, then stitch the two scans together with Panoramic
software. That would defeat the purpose of the X-Pan camera.

To scan the whole 24mm X 65mm frame, requires a film scanner to scan more
than 24 X 36mm.
A Medium format film scanner will scan a 6 cm X 9 cm film size, which is
60mm X
90mm. You can crop the scan size to fit the 24mm X 65mm film. You would have
to create a hand made mask to fit the 6 cm X 9 cm holder.

Minolta Dimage Scan Multi Pro Film & Slide Scanner
quote:
The glassless holder has an opening that's 6x9 cm in size, to accommodate
the largest commonly-used medium format film size.

6 cm = 60mm and 9 cm = 90mm. The opening is 60mm X 90mm.

After all of that, a good 2400+ dpi flatbed scanner would be the easy way
for an odd size film.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com
"Robert Meyers" wrote in message
Reason I was wondering is that it can scan a series of six frames. I was
really wondering if it could just continue down the strip (ala x-pan).

news

5400 Minolta John Wight Scanners 5 November 3rd 03 09:43 AM
Nikon Coolscan 4000 vs Minolta S E 5400 vs Canon FS4000US? Mark B. Scanners 4 October 2nd 03 01:30 AM
Minolta 5400/ OS 9.2? Dan Marder Scanners 1 September 25th 03 01:36 AM
Minolta Scan Elite 5400 SND Scanners 1 September 22nd 03 08:24 AM
minolta 5400 review Thomas BORG Scanners 0 August 5th 03 05:37 PM