Media error

Old June 28th 04, 03:44 PM
Colin Bearfield

Default Media error

A friend reported that her son's HD had broken. It would only boot up
to a floppy. I booted up to a floppy and got the message "media
error". I put in a new HD and got the same message. However, there
was a Tiny restore CD so I booted up to that and it installed win98
and everything seems OK.

What does the error message imply?

Colin
Old June 28th 04, 09:19 PM
Geir Klemetsen

"Colin Bearfield" skrev i melding
A friend reported that her son's HD had broken. It would only boot up
to a floppy. I booted up to a floppy and got the message "media
error". I put in a new HD and got the same message. However, there
was a Tiny restore CD so I booted up to that and it installed win98
and everything seems OK.

What does the error message imply?

Sounds like one of those machines that has it's bios on the HD instead of a
physical chip on the motherboard. Is it a compaq?

Colin

Old June 29th 04, 08:15 AM
Colin Bearfield

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 22:19:52 +0200, "Geir Klemetsen"
wrote:

"Colin Bearfield" skrev i melding
.. .
A friend reported that her son's HD had broken. It would only boot up
to a floppy. I booted up to a floppy and got the message "media
error". I put in a new HD and got the same message. However, there
was a Tiny restore CD so I booted up to that and it installed win98
and everything seems OK.

What does the error message imply?

Sounds like one of those machines that has it's bios on the HD instead of a
physical chip on the motherboard. Is it a compaq?

Colin

That could be true. It's a Tiny and they cut every corner imaginable.

The O/S was on a restore CD it could have transferred the bios from
the CD to the HD. It seems OK now.The mobo was a cut down custom
thing. Before the restore CD got to work I found it impossible to
interrupt the BIOS on boot up. I haven't tried it since.

Thanks

Colin

When Good Discs Go Bad Ablang General 0 June 27th 04 03:47 AM
Is there any DVD9 burnners and DVD9 blank media yet? John McGaw General 3 June 25th 04 04:48 PM
FIC or HIS for a 9600Pro? Phrederick General 8 December 16th 03 12:17 PM
Laptop DVD Rom - DVD Media Compatibility +/- ? Rob Jones General 0 November 30th 03 10:13 AM
"unknown hard error" message Franklin General 2 August 4th 03 10:53 PM