One bad pixel on Samsung 213T - warranty?

Old December 10th 03, 03:11 AM
Dr. Phlumo

Default One bad pixel on Samsung 213T - warranty?

I just bought a Samsung 213T, hooked it up and was amazed how great the
picture is.
After playing a little with it and loading the first game (Homeworld 2),
there it was:

A flaw, AARGGHHHH! there is one pixel right in the very middle of this
beautiful picture that just stays green! Gosh this bothers me!

The question is: Would Samsung replace the monitor? Is this a warranty case
or should I try to get used to this? Or is it just simply normal to have one
bad pixel on such a screen? (But right in the middle?)

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

paw

Old December 10th 03, 04:52 AM
Dan

I know this is going to sound stupid, but for whats its worth try this.
Unplug the monitor from where you have it now, take it to a different outlet
(a diff part of the house would be great), plug it in there and turn it on.
Then take it back to the computer.
I know its sounds like crap, but trust me and try it.

Old December 10th 03, 10:03 AM
Amil

"Dr. Phlumo" escreveu na mensagem

Hi,

I bought recently a 17" TFT monitor too, and unfortunately I have a
dad-pixel also, there is no way to replace it because this is normal in TFT
big monitors. A ratio of less than 5 dad pixels is accepted as normal by
most of the manufacturers. See Samsung's homepage, the is some information
about this for sure.

Old December 10th 03, 03:58 PM
ElJerid

"Dr. Phlumo" wrote in message
I just bought a Samsung 213T, hooked it up and was amazed how great the
picture is.
After playing a little with it and loading the first game (Homeworld 2),
there it was:

A flaw, AARGGHHHH! there is one pixel right in the very middle of this
beautiful picture that just stays green! Gosh this bothers me!

The question is: Would Samsung replace the monitor? Is this a warranty

case
or should I try to get used to this? Or is it just simply normal to have

one
bad pixel on such a screen? (But right in the middle?)

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Warranty terms and conditions vary from different TFT manufacturers.
They make differences for missing colors (your case), white pixels (all
colors on) or black pixels (all colors death). For each of those pixel
problems, they define a maximum of defective pixels per surface unit, with a
maximum of x pixels for the entire display area.
n the Samsung site, only the global warranty for TFT is mentioned, beibg 3
years, but no details are provided. You could send an Email to their support
division, or check in your manual if you can find some details. I' m afraid
however that one missing color for only one pixel will be considered as
"normal" ald will not be covered by warranty.

Old December 10th 03, 10:47 PM
Morten Holberg Nielsen

"Amil" skrev i en meddelelse
"Dr. Phlumo" escreveu na mensagem

Hi,

...dad-pixel also, there is no ... 5 dad pixels is accepted as normal by
most of the manufacturers.

How about a mom-pixel?

--
Mvh
Morten Holberg Nielsen

In an interstelaaarrr buuuurrssst im baaack to saaaveeee the uuuunivereerse!

Old December 11th 03, 10:02 AM
Graeme

"Dr. Phlumo" wrote in message
I just bought a Samsung 213T, hooked it up and was amazed how great the
picture is.
After playing a little with it and loading the first game (Homeworld 2),
there it was:

A flaw, AARGGHHHH! there is one pixel right in the very middle of this
beautiful picture that just stays green! Gosh this bothers me!

The question is: Would Samsung replace the monitor? Is this a warranty

case
or should I try to get used to this? Or is it just simply normal to have

one
bad pixel on such a screen? (But right in the middle?)

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

paw

As others have already mentioned, there islikely nothing you can do
(commercial grade TFT monitors are 'allowed' to have several dead pixels).
If you have a very friendly dealer you might be able to exchange.

I have just got a 17" Hitachi (work paid for it so I'm happy), and I've just
had a close look at the screen. There is one dead green pixel element on the
left of the screen. With a white background, this pixel shows up red-blue.
With a magnifying glass it is clear to see that the green part of this pixel
is actually red (so it goes red-red-blue, and not red-green-blue like all of
the others). So, I guess this isn't dead at all, just the wrong color.

Old December 11th 03, 10:04 AM
Graeme

"Graeme" wrote in message
"Dr. Phlumo" wrote in message
[...]

I should add that my old Mitsubishi 17" monitor also had what looked like a
dead pixel. I know they are completely different technologies, but there
must've been some dirt on the shadow mask.

Old December 29th 03, 08:45 PM
hhj

"Dr. Phlumo" wrote:

I just bought a Samsung 213T, hooked it up and was amazed how great the
picture is.
After playing a little with it and loading the first game (Homeworld 2),
there it was:

A flaw, AARGGHHHH! there is one pixel right in the very middle of this
beautiful picture that just stays green! Gosh this bothers me!

The question is: Would Samsung replace the monitor? Is this a warranty case
or should I try to get used to this? Or is it just simply normal to have one
bad pixel on such a screen? (But right in the middle?)

Any thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

Thanks,

paw

Return it. It's defective.

Don't take any crap about "five dead pixels is considered ok by the
manufacturer". That's just them trying to push low quality monday-product.

I had a similar case with a laptop. Returned it and got back good replament with
no dead pixels.
To reply via email remove letter "G" from email address: