XP Update

Old December 5th 13, 02:24 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ron Hardin

Default XP Update

I thought I'd update XP on an Inspiron 2200 since
I'd just turned it off and on.

Update has been grinding away for an hour and a
half so far, computing what's needed.

I recognize the syndrome. It's a bad sort
algorithm, and elementary programming mistake.

Go down a list and if you find two adjacent out of
order, swap them, then go to the top of the list
and start over.

It works very very fast for a really short list.

It exceeds the age of the universe for a long one.

A correct sort more or less finishes in a blink of
an eye on any length.

Old December 7th 13, 12:38 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 9:24:41 AM UTC-5, Ron Hardin wrote:
I thought I'd update XP on an Inspiron 2200 since

I'd just turned it off and on.

Update has been grinding away for an hour and a

half so far, computing what's needed.

I recognize the syndrome. It's a bad sort

algorithm, and elementary programming mistake.

Go down a list and if you find two adjacent out of

order, swap them, then go to the top of the list

and start over.

It works very very fast for a really short list.

It exceeds the age of the universe for a long one.

A correct sort more or less finishes in a blink of

an eye on any length.

Yep, XP update grinds away and grinds away. Set up an XP system yesterday for essentially standalone use, but put in all the updates anyway.

The paranoia in me makes me think that Microsoft intentionally has made Windows Update for XP worse, yet another added inducement to railroad everyone to Windows 8.1, tiles and apps, before the world really and truly falls apart in April 2014, when the true and only apocalypse takes place.