Add USB 3.0 to an Optiplex 980

Old November 14th 13, 09:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers[_4_]

Default Add USB 3.0 to an Optiplex 980

On Sunday, November 10, 2013 3:22:33 PM UTC-5, Dean-MN wrote:
The subject computer is an Optiplex 980MT Core i7 860 @2.80 GHz (Lynnfield,

Quad Core, Hyperthread), Intel Q57 Express Chipset, 4GB RAM and Windows 7

64-bit.

I would like to add USB 3.0 and am in a fog about the proper card to add.

The MB has three PCI slots open. One each PCI, PCIe x4 & PCIe x16. There is

a PCIe x1 slot open but it is on the front lower part of the MB and does not

have an opening to the outside of the case. It is used for a wireless card.

The USB 3.0 card will have a powered USB 3.0 hub attached to it and will be

placed on my desk for easy access.

I have read about there being problems with USB 3.0 on some Dell models. Has

anyone done this type of upgrade and can offer a suggestion.

I routinely move .5 GB files between a NAS and SD cards. The Ethernet

network is gigabit and is quick enough until the data goes to USB 2.0 then

it slows. ...Dean

I forgot. Install the PCIe 1x card in the PCIe 4x slot. Better to leave the higher capacity PCIe 16x slot open... Ben
Old November 15th 13, 01:05 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Dean-MN

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks, Ben. I did a Google search on if a PCIe x1 card would fit into a
PCIe x4 slot and read the replys until one came up saying an emphatic NO.
Another Google search returned a YES, Go figure. I'll trust your answer and
shop for a PCIe x1 card... Dean

Old November 15th 13, 04:20 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Nick[_7_]

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 19:05:48 -0600, in alt.sys.pc-clone.dell, "Dean-MN"
wrote:

"Ben Myers" wrote in message

I forgot. Install the PCIe 1x card in the PCIe 4x slot. Better to leave
the higher capacity PCIe 16x slot open... Ben

Thanks, Ben. I did a Google search on if a PCIe x1 card would fit into a
PCIe x4 slot and read the replys until one came up saying an emphatic NO.
Another Google search returned a YES, Go figure. I'll trust your answer and
shop for a PCIe x1 card... Dean

As Ben said, the PCIe x1 card can go in an x4 slot (or an x8 or x16 slot).
I've done it, in an older Dell that didn't have a free x1 slot.

The person who said 'NO' may have been thinking of the older PCI and PCI-X
cards, which aren't compatible with the more recent PCIe standard.

--
Nick

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men Gang aft agley." Robert Burns

Anyone buy the Optiplex 330 here? [email protected] Dell Computers 19 April 5th 08 03:24 AM
Optiplex 745 vs 320 [email protected] Dell Computers 3 May 21st 07 10:47 PM
OptiPlex? Joe Dell Computers 7 November 24th 06 11:57 AM
Optiplex GXA Mike Cook Dell Computers 9 October 11th 06 02:23 PM
IS ANYONE USING AN OPTIPLEX GX 520? I'm using an Optiplex 210 that's glitchy patty Dell Computers 6 August 9th 06 05:13 PM