9800 pro or 6800 vanilla

Old October 4th 04, 01:00 AM
homeboi

Default 9800 pro or 6800 vanilla

its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800
OC?

Old October 4th 04, 06:13 AM
Nicolai

its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800

6800 - anytime.

Old October 4th 04, 08:42 AM
Glitch

Nicolai wrote:
its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800

6800 - anytime.

Even though I like ATI far more than nVidia I have to say you buy a
6800.It's far better than a 9800 just because it's a new generation
videocard.
If you have the cash I'd recomend an X800 PRO,cause even though nVidia
wins in DOOM 3,ATI cards are better in everything else.
Old October 4th 04, 12:11 PM
Chip

"Glitch" wrote in message
Nicolai wrote:
its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800

6800 - anytime.

Even though I like ATI far more than nVidia I have to say you buy a
6800.It's far better than a 9800 just because it's a new generation
videocard.
If you have the cash I'd recomend an X800 PRO,cause even though nVidia
wins in DOOM 3,ATI cards are better in everything else.

Utter nonsense. The X800 Pro is the same price (give or take) as the
6800GT. The 6800GT beats the X800Pro in most cases and beats it
significantly in Doom3. Moreoever, 99% of 6800GT's will run at 400MHz or
more. At that speed the 6800GT is much faster than the X800Pro.

Chip

Old October 4th 04, 03:17 PM
NightSky 421

"Chip" wrote in message

Utter nonsense. The X800 Pro is the same price (give or take) as the
6800GT. The 6800GT beats the X800Pro in most cases and beats it
significantly in Doom3. Moreoever, 99% of 6800GT's will run at 400MHz or
more. At that speed the 6800GT is much faster than the X800Pro.

Chip

As much as I hate nVidia's "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" program, I have
to agree, as do a number of magazines. Although the X800 Pro is a good
card, it's difficult to recommend over a 6800GT at the same price.

Old October 4th 04, 03:24 PM
Chip

"NightSky 421" wrote in message
"Chip" wrote in message

Utter nonsense. The X800 Pro is the same price (give or take) as the
6800GT. The 6800GT beats the X800Pro in most cases and beats it
significantly in Doom3. Moreoever, 99% of 6800GT's will run at 400MHz or
more. At that speed the 6800GT is much faster than the X800Pro.

Chip

As much as I hate nVidia's "The Way It's Meant To Be Played" program, I
have
to agree, as do a number of magazines. Although the X800 Pro is a good
card, it's difficult to recommend over a 6800GT at the same price.

I agree. I think the only "hope" if you must buy an X800 Pro is to buy the
Vivo version and to flash it to open up all 16 pipes. Then it gets more
interesting. But not everyone is happy flashing a new $300 card.

Chip

Old October 5th 04, 03:42 AM
First of One

A BFG 6800 with a 70% chance of getting all 8 pipes enabled through
RivaTuner? :-)

news

Old October 6th 04, 02:52 AM
First of One

Indeed, I stand corrected: all 16.

The Polish Tyskie beer is strong...

"Mark Leuck" wrote in message
Don't you mean all 16?

"First of One" wrote in message
A BFG 6800 with a 70% chance of getting all 8 pipes enabled through
RivaTuner? :-)

news

Old October 8th 04, 02:14 AM
mikere

homeboi wrote in message
news
its a tuff choice I can get a 9800 pro 256 and flash to xt, or a BFG 6800
OC?

If you plan on gaming under Linux at all, I couldn't recomment ATI at this
time. I've been a long time fan of ATI, however, I'm finding them to be
extremely limited on their Linux driver support. Here's hoping this changes
in the next month or so - I hear id software had some suggestions on how to
fix a number of problems.

I'd go for the 6800. It has great performance under both OS's. If you can
get them both at the same price, I think it's a no brainer. You might want
to check one of the video card roundups at tomshardware.com if there are any
specific uses you wanted to compare them for.