NEED HELP: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe crazy SPDIF-out problem when recording audio

Old August 14th 04, 12:08 PM
Robert Holpper

Default NEED HELP: ASUS A7N8X Deluxe crazy SPDIF-out problem when recording audio

hi,

i use a asus a7n8x board under win xp prof., latest drivers, latest bios
(1008), latest nvidia audio driver (different tried), etc.

The phenomenon:
When I record from an analogue audio source (eg. my USB radio) with any
sound recording software, the sound which comes from the speaker (connected
via SPDIF of the asus board) becomes switched off. and ONLY the sound which
comes from the analogue 3,5mm audio input, NOT e.g. windows system sound.

that's more than crazy and very magic, because when i record from an
analogue audio source, i STILL WANT TO HEAR this sound through the SPDIF
connected speaker.
at the same time, on the analogue output of this board, the signal is still
there. but i want, that the signal doesn't stop to become looped through the
SPDIF output when i start to record.

anyone here with the same problem, solved?

regards,
robs.

Old August 14th 04, 12:50 PM
Paul

In article , "Robert Holpper" wrote:

[...]

If the support is not in the driver, then you don't get the
function. The hardware is at the mercy of the poorly written
drivers.

For information on hardware, the ALC650 CODEC info is he

ftp://152.104.125.40/pc/ac97/alc650/alc650_data5.zip
Unzip the file and look at "ALC650 Data Sheet_1.28.pdf" page 23.
Setting MX6A.12 bit to "1" will cause ADC input samples to be
looped to the SPDIF output.

Looping paths, such as the path the MX6A.12 bit supports, are
easy for the driver writer to support. If the looping path
spans more than one chip, it is not likely that the path will
be supported.

Without the source for the driver, it is pretty hard to tell what
is supported. Computer audio is so poor, that many products have
no performance specs, for noise/distortion/frequency_response
etc. Similarly, you cannot get a functional description of how
the product works, so that everything you try is an experiment.

It is miraculous that any sound comes from the speaker at all.

This article, on Intel's Azalia, is typical of motherboard
computer sound. The drivers barely work and are full of bugs.
It is no wonder so many users replace the onboard sound with
a separate sound card.

http://www6.tomshardware.com/consume...813/index.html

Normally, I would suggest contacting Asus, but you know
that the Tech Support people will not be able to answer
any question about audio :-(

And Nvidia offers no technical contact information, so you
cannot ask them either:

http://www.nvidia.com/page/support.html

Paul
Old August 15th 04, 09:25 AM
Robert Holpper

Hi Paul,

thank you very much for your detailed information. aLTHOUGH i#VE DOWNLOADED
wdm_a362.exe and treid every setting, there is still noch chance to set the
SPDIF output to active, when I record from the analogue audio input. I'm
very angry about ASUS and Nvidia, that this very simple function, which has
to work, doesn't work.

Best regards,
Robs.

Old August 20th 04, 12:54 PM
sam.vanratt

Hi Paul and Robert,
I'm using an A7N8X-X as settopbox and only work with S/P-DIF in and
out and it works with the mfc driver (mfc is here Realtek) under WinXP
XP1. I use the standard S/P-DIF koax brackets of my older P4C-800 E
Deluxe (as I do not need sound at all there) put the prefered output
to Digital/SPDIF and my Yamaha is doing the rest of my 7ch system.
Couldn't blame anyone for bad/not functioning audio. If U want I can
post you my exact driver versions as I store them in a system
directory with version number.
Cheers
Sam