Print Server...Would a 486 do?

Old January 22nd 04, 01:18 PM
Kwaj

Default Print Server...Would a 486 do?

I want to set up a stand alone machine is purely a print server. I have a
network at home and a USB printer. Could I get buy with a 486 + a USB card
(not even sure if it will fit).

Basically what's the minimum spec needed to get this going and what's the
minimum operating system I need to support this?

cheers guys

Old January 22nd 04, 01:57 PM

In article ,
Kwaj wrote:
I want to set up a stand alone machine is purely a print server. I have a
network at home and a USB printer. Could I get buy with a 486 + a USB card
(not even sure if it will fit).

This depends on what OS you plan to use and how much RAM you have in the
system? Any Windows OS will require AT LEAST 32 MB (and that's with
nothing else running).

Basically what's the minimum spec needed to get this going and what's the
minimum operating system I need to support this?

Since you're serving for a USB printer, you'll need an OS that supports
USB (DOS doesn't really support USB). I'd suspect you can get by with a
Linux or NetBSD operating system on a small hard disk and 16 MB RAM.

If you really worked at it, you could boot Linux (and maybe NetBSD) off a
floppy, but that requires a real system to rebuild the kernel and configure
the floppy.

Patrick Klos Email:
Klos Technologies, Inc. Web:
http://www.klos.com/
==================== What goes around, comes around... =====================
Old January 22nd 04, 07:47 PM
Noozer

For the price and hassle you're better of just grabbing an ethernet print
server and forget using a PC. They use less power and are easier to set up
as well. Might even be cheaper to by a router with a built in print server
and just don't use the router side of it.

PC is only cost effective if you already have ALL the parts handy in a
closet someplace.

u...

Old January 22nd 04, 08:07 PM
George

You don't really need a "computer" at all. Networking companies make
printservers for USB and parallel printers that connect directly to your
network. They generally start at about $50. I use a Linksys EPSX3, 3
parallel port printserver at home...it's about $100-120. D-Link, HP, and
many other companies offer them as well.

u...

Old January 22nd 04, 11:32 PM
kony

On Fri, 23 Jan 2004 00:18:40 +1100, "Kwaj"
wrote:

I want to set up a stand alone machine is purely a print server. I have a
network at home and a USB printer. Could I get buy with a 486 + a USB card
(not even sure if it will fit).

Basically what's the minimum spec needed to get this going and what's the
minimum operating system I need to support this?

cheers guys

Old systems aren't just slow, as-in a minimal spec, but also lessening
reliability the older they get. I tend to agree with the other
posters, that starting 'from scratch' you'd be as well off with a
normal standalone print server, but if you really want a PC doing it
then I'd look for a Pentium MMX or early Celeron /P2 with at least
32MB of memory, though preferribly 64MB, but mainly a hard drive that
isn't so old as to be unreliable and loud/whiney.

There's no need to make this project any harder than necessary, for
practical purposes I suggest you use the smallest footprint OS you're
familiar with, be it Linux or Win98... From a performance standpoint
it doesn't make a lot of difference just sitting there waiting for
print jobs.

Help, cant print to DeskJet 890C Helinut General 9 December 11th 03 10:22 PM
Running a Server Omar Bohsali General 4 October 30th 03 11:51 AM
Upgrades to workstation to use as a server changed General 0 September 23rd 03 08:38 PM
Server Hardware? Computee General 1 August 1st 03 02:56 PM
Windows server video capture hardware/software Some One General 0 July 27th 03 05:33 PM