Ebuyer and false advertising - advice?

Old August 11th 03, 04:02 PM
Peter

Default Ebuyer and false advertising - advice?

Hi,

About 5 weeks ago I bought a Samtron 76E monitor from Ebuyer, which
has just died. Now, Ebuyer say in big bold letters that the monitor is
supplied with a 3 year **onsite*** warranty. Guess what? It isn't -
it's RTB only, so I will have to spend £20 to ship a £70 monitor back
to it's manufacturers.

Since Ebuyer promise an onsite warranty, and the manufacturer doesn't
supply one, can I legally assume that the warranty was provided by
Ebuyer themselves?

Thanks
Old August 11th 03, 04:07 PM
|| Malik ||

"Peter" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

About 5 weeks ago I bought a Samtron 76E monitor from Ebuyer, which
has just died. Now, Ebuyer say in big bold letters that the monitor is
supplied with a 3 year **onsite*** warranty. Guess what? It isn't -
it's RTB only, so I will have to spend £20 to ship a £70 monitor back
to it's manufacturers.

Since Ebuyer promise an onsite warranty, and the manufacturer doesn't
supply one, can I legally assume that the warranty was provided by
Ebuyer themselves?

Thanks

No advice needed yet. First step is to ask ebuyer about it.

They obviously just made a mistake, easy one to make really as
practically all monitors do have onsite.

Phone or raise an enote, post back what they say.

Old August 11th 03, 04:15 PM
tHatDudeUK

"Peter" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

About 5 weeks ago I bought a Samtron 76E monitor from Ebuyer, which
has just died. Now, Ebuyer say in big bold letters that the monitor is
supplied with a 3 year **onsite*** warranty. Guess what? It isn't -
it's RTB only, so I will have to spend £20 to ship a £70 monitor back
to it's manufacturers.

Since Ebuyer promise an onsite warranty, and the manufacturer doesn't
supply one, can I legally assume that the warranty was provided by
Ebuyer themselves?

Not that that would solve anything as they'd ask you to send it to them
instead of manufacturer.

Try trading standards and is it called descriptions act or something?!

Old August 11th 03, 07:11 PM
Fat Freddy's Cat

"Peter" wrote in message
m...
Hi,

Since Ebuyer promise an onsite warranty, and the manufacturer doesn't
supply one, can I legally assume that the warranty was provided by
Ebuyer themselves?

Thanks

Do you have the website or product info from ebuyer stating the 3 year
onsite warranty?

If so, you have a *very* good case.

Mistakes do happen, but only where the normal bloke in the street could not
be expected to believe the error would ebuyer stand a chance. However, an
onsite warranty is pretty standard these days so you have a great case.

Problem is, what to do now?

I would contact ebuyer via RMA procedure or enote (maybe best to phone
first) and point out their mistake.

*****Any reputable company will send you a new monitor and pick up the old
one. It would be **very cheap and easy for ebuyer to do this** and they
would generate goodwill (are you reading this ebuyer?)...*****

They should also be sharp in correcting the website error.

Hope it goes well for you.

At this stage, dont be fooled by dicks in this group advising legal redress
and trading standards (you know who they are) keep it friendly and patient
just now. You only need to get shirty if they get shirty with you. A
friendly open approach will probably work wonders.

Post back to see how you get on.

g.

Old August 12th 03, 06:52 PM
nigel. carron

In message , Peter Parry
writes
Not necessarily, and mistakes do happen. However at this stage the
warranty is a bit irrelevant (unless you actually received an on site
warranty certificate with the monitor) as its up to the supplier to
sort it out and cover the costs of doing so.

Rollocks to that - that would take ages - on-site means on-site and I
for one won't accept anything less. I bought one back in May and a
Samsung Xiod 17" from another retailer promising on-site etc last week
and the booklet says return to service centre on that one. Will ve
sorting it tomorrow. They can both replace them or upgrade them to
on-site FOC. No good to me to have Monitors away for ages.
--
njc AKA (Fastpay, Paypal & nochex e-mail)
Old August 13th 03, 12:13 AM
Peter

Hi,

Everything is sorted :-)

Ebuyer were surprisingly helpful...it turns out that the warranty is
onsite after all - it's just that for some reason the warranty card
contradicts this entirely.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Old August 13th 03, 08:28 PM
nigel. carron

In message , Peter
writes
Ebuyer were surprisingly helpful...it turns out that the warranty is
onsite after all - it's just that for some reason the warranty card
contradicts this entirely.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Good - did they confirm the phone number given is as given in booklet?

--
njc AKA (Fastpay, Paypal & nochex e-mail)
Old August 13th 03, 09:35 PM
Fat Freddy's Cat

"Peter" wrote in message
om...
Hi,

Everything is sorted :-)

Ebuyer were surprisingly helpful...it turns out that the warranty is
onsite after all - it's just that for some reason the warranty card
contradicts this entirely.

Very happy to hear the positive outcome. :0)

Ebuyer have been nothing but helpful with the few problems I have had with
kit from them.
Bet your glad your lawyer hadn't already contacted trading standards!! ;0)

g.