Recommendations for Video Card Upgrade

Old December 14th 04, 02:04 AM
Richard Morey

Default Recommendations for Video Card Upgrade

Hi --

I have decided it is time to upgrade my older AGP video card and I am
looking for advice. I currently have a P-III system witn an Intel board and
I think the AGP slot is 1x or possibly 2x.

I am also planning to get a flat screen monitor, but I'm thinking about
eventually getting a second flat screen as I want to slowly upgrade my
machine (new mother board / cpu, etc.)

My question is -- should I get a single high end video card with dual
monitor outs, or two seperate video cards? And if I opt for 2 video cards,
should I get 1 AGP card (its seems no mother boards have more than 1 AGP
slot) and 1 PCI card, or 2 PCI cards? Should I get 2 of the same cards?

I am begining to get into video editting -- currently using Adobe Premiere
Elements -- but I'd like to eventually move up to Adobe Premiere Pro and I'm
also interesting in learning about 3D modeling and so I'd like to get a
vidoe card or cards that will be good for 3D modeling as well.

Thanks,

Rich

Old December 14th 04, 05:27 AM
Clob

"Richard Morey" wrote in message
Hi --

I have decided it is time to upgrade my older AGP video card and I am
looking for advice. I currently have a P-III system witn an Intel board
and I think the AGP slot is 1x or possibly 2x.

If the slot is 1x, then you may run into a voltage problem with newcards
that require 4x and up. I'm not sure on this one though.

I am also planning to get a flat screen monitor, but I'm thinking about
eventually getting a second flat screen as I want to slowly upgrade my
machine (new mother board / cpu, etc.)

Sounds good when you get a motherboard that will run the card that comes
with the dual monitor out.

My question is -- should I get a single high end video card with dual
monitor outs, or two seperate video cards? And if I opt for 2 video cards,
should I get 1 AGP card (its seems no mother boards have more than 1 AGP
slot) and 1 PCI card, or 2 PCI cards? Should I get 2 of the same cards?

PCI will give you extremely poor performance. There are cards out there for
PCI connections, but they are not that great and I do not think they have
the required DVI outputs. A converter may be required. But the conversion
from analouge to digital can reduce clarity on the flat pannel monitor. I am
assuming by you saying "flat screen" you mean flat pannel.

I am begining to get into video editting -- currently using Adobe Premiere
Elements -- but I'd like to eventually move up to Adobe Premiere Pro and
I'm also interesting in learning about 3D modeling and so I'd like to get
a vidoe card or cards that will be good for 3D modeling as well.

Nvidia Quadro and ATI Fire GL are serious cards for this type work. I have
no experence in this field. Maybe some one here can go further into detail.
The cards are VERY expencive.

Thanks,

Rich

Old December 15th 04, 03:49 AM
Richard Morey

Hi --

Thank you for your feedback.. There seems to be many flavors of the two
video cards you mentioned (Nvidia Quadro and ATI Fire GL).. Do you know the
specific model / versions of these cards you had in mind?

Also, I meant to ask about PCI Express cards versus AGP, not plain PCI..
Sorry..

Thanks again,

Rich

Old December 15th 04, 10:04 PM
Clob

Ahh I see. That is a bit different. The two cards have their highs and lows
in areas. Look for some benchmarks on carious platforms.

Old December 15th 04, 10:18 PM
kony

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 21:11:04 GMT, "Clob"
wrote:

As for PCI-E. Performance is higher than any AGP. PCI-E is the new
standard.

Comparing *same* GPU based card on PCI Express vs AGP, there
is no significant performance benefit to PCI Express. What
PCI Express WILL do is allow for faster video cards in the
future, a couple years or so from now the "good" gamers
cards worth upgrading to over current cards will only be in
PCI Express format, if the product roadmaps are to be
believed.

Then again it's the age-old quesiton, at that (2-year point)
will one buy a high-end video card for an aging system or
spend the $ on other system upgrades (like the motherboard &
CPU) first so it didn't matter.
Old December 16th 04, 12:58 AM
Richard Morey

Hi --

Thanks for all the feedback..

I guess I sort of know the direction to head in -- PCI-E over AGP, but I'm
sure there is a cost increase for a motherboard with PCI-e vs AGP and
likewise for AGP vs PCI-e video card.

Now, if I plan to use two monitors, will I get a performance benefit from
two seperate cards (if I got PCI-e) versus 1 card with two outputss ?

Thanks

Rich

Getting a single card with dual outputs is acceptable
news

Old December 16th 04, 02:04 AM
kony

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 18:58:02 -0500, "Richard Morey"
wrote:

Hi --

Thanks for all the feedback..

I guess I sort of know the direction to head in -- PCI-E over AGP, but I'm
sure there is a cost increase for a motherboard with PCI-e vs AGP and
likewise for AGP vs PCI-e video card.

Now, if I plan to use two monitors, will I get a performance benefit from
two seperate cards (if I got PCI-e) versus 1 card with two outputss ?

Performance benefit for what use?
Generally no, you're as well off with a single dual output
card.
Old December 16th 04, 05:01 AM
Richard Morey

Now, if I plan to use two monitors, will I get a performance benefit from
two seperate cards (if I got PCI-e) versus 1 card with two outputss ?

Performance benefit for what use?
Generally no, you're as well off with a single dual output
card.

For rendering while doing video editing or 3d modeling? Or does the speed
of this relate to CPU speed only?

Rich

Old December 16th 04, 01:41 PM
kony

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 23:01:02 -0500, "Richard Morey"
wrote:

Now, if I plan to use two monitors, will I get a performance benefit from
two seperate cards (if I got PCI-e) versus 1 card with two outputss ?

Performance benefit for what use?
Generally no, you're as well off with a single dual output
card.

For rendering while doing video editing or 3d modeling? Or does the speed
of this relate to CPU speed only?

Rich

Rendering is not video-card bound, nor is 3D modeling in
general. If you were trying to display 100 FPS on one while
playing a 3D game on the other you might have a problem but
otherwise you're better off avoiding use of a 2nd card on
the PCI bus. PCI Express will make that less significant
but still there'd be no need for a 2nd card.