Building a New System - Use Onboard Video or Existing GeForce3 Video Card?

Old July 21st 03, 08:45 PM
Rick Cathey

Default Building a New System - Use Onboard Video or Existing GeForce3 Video Card?

I am building a new system with the Epox 8RGA+, AMD XP 2500+ w/Barton
Core, 512 MB 3200 DDR ram (2 - 256MB sticks which will give me the
dual channel feature) . I have a two year old 64MB ASUS GeForce 3 that
I have loved since it's install.

My question is: Would I get better performance assigning 64 or 128MB
of my 512 to the onboard GeForce 4MX part of the motherboard or should
I use my trusty old GeForce3 card?

Thanks for any input..
Rick
Old July 21st 03, 09:02 PM
Rich Selmon

Your GeForce 3 is superior to the NForce video card. Check out the August
issue of Maximum PC, where they do a head-to-head with integrated video
(NForce 2 included).

BTW, a GeForce 4 MX is not a GeForce 4 class GPU. It is a GeForce 2 class
GPU. Your GeForce 3 supports Direct X 8 features, and the NForce 2 video
only supports Direct X 7 features. Good luck...

Rich S.

Old July 21st 03, 09:18 PM
Philip Sack

Definately, i have a the same board, it sucks compared to the G3, i have to
overclock it and it doesn't come close.
"Lester Piglet" wrote in message
Rick Cathey wrote:
I am building a new system with the Epox 8RGA+, AMD XP 2500+ w/Barton
Core, 512 MB 3200 DDR ram (2 - 256MB sticks which will give me the
dual channel feature) . I have a two year old 64MB ASUS GeForce 3 that
I have loved since it's install.

My question is: Would I get better performance assigning 64 or 128MB
of my 512 to the onboard GeForce 4MX part of the motherboard or should
I use my trusty old GeForce3 card?

Thanks for any input..
Rick

---
The GF3 is much much better.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:45 PM
Darthy

On Tue, 22 Jul 2003 02:46:10 GMT, "Ted Bealmear"
wrote:

Why waste your system memory on a lesser preforming card? Use the system
memory for the system and use the video card memory for the video card. You
will get a lot better preformance.

Ted

its ONBoaRD the motherboard...

Or he can save some bucks and get an NFORCE without video

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!
Old July 22nd 03, 08:14 PM
Rick Cathey

Thanks to all that replied.

I was leaning toward sticking with my standalone card so my old trusty
GeForce 3 card it will be!!

Rick

Onboard video automatically slows memory? Baz Metcalfe Overclocking 3 December 20th 04 11:10 PM
Tyan K8S Pro S2882: installing a PCI video card Andy Kuo Ati Videocards 1 November 5th 04 04:10 AM
Video card for Asus CUSL2 Kamal Asus Motherboards 2 January 28th 04 07:03 PM
Cooling Questions Peter Cavan General 35 September 2nd 03 06:42 AM
Nforce 2 onboard video - hows it compare to a Geforce 2 GTS card? kony General 1 August 31st 03 07:30 PM