Where Can I Find Info On Registry Keys To Remove Previous NVidia-GF4Card?

Old September 27th 03, 11:30 PM
jj

Default Where Can I Find Info On Registry Keys To Remove Previous NVidia-GF4Card?

A week ago, upgraded to an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB, from a GeForce4
Ti4600. I discovered a few left-over Nvidia drivers in my WinXP Pro
(SP1) folders, i.e., \Windows\System32 has NV4_DISP.DLL and
\Windows\System32\Drivers has NV4_MINI.SYS.

When I delete these drivers, my 3DMark03 benchmarks work fine, and I get
good scores, same with 3DMark2001SE. But, because of all the existing
Registry references to the GeForce4, WinXP keeps adding (automatically)
the NV4_DISP.DLL and NV4_MINI.SYS back in the Windows folders mentioned
above.

I need to get these Nvidia/GeForce references out of my registry, but
I'm not sure exactly which ones (if not all) are safe to delete. I
think I know, but would rather be certain. Can anyone point me to a web
site, or maybe some place I can call, to find out about removing these
registry entries? Appreciate any help, advice, or direction anyone can
provide. I think if I can keep these old Nvidia drivers off my hard
drive, my video-related problems should be "history" (see other posts
pertaining to these problems). Thank you.

jj
(FYI, below are the registry references I'm referring to. Some of you
may know already which ones are safe to delete...if so, appreciate your
input).

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\nv
Calling: Windows\system32\Drivers\nv4_mini.sys
Under Device0, Device1, Device2, and Device3.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Reinstall\0000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
+0000 GeForce4 Ti 4600
+0001 Radeon 9800 Pro
+0002 Radeon 9800 Pro Secondary

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Vi deo\{064CD43B-FBF5-4A43-8A36-F234CC8F9E23}\0000
Various keys under video, some with the GeForce4 Ti 4600 and some with
Radeon.
All Nvidia keys reference driver nv4_disp.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Wa tchdog\Display
Says NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 with driver reference nv4_disp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\n v\
Device Description: GeForce4 Ti 4600, calling nv4_disp
Under Device0, Device1, Device2, and Device3.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Cl ass\{4D36E968-E325-11CE-etc.,
etc.}
+0000 GeForce4 Ti 4600
+0001 Radeon 9800 Pro
+0002 Radeon 9800 Pro Secondary

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Vi deo\{064CD43B-FBF5-4A43-etc.,
etc.}\0000
Various keys under video, some with the GeForce4 Ti 4600 and some with
Radeon.
All Nvidia keys reference driver nv4_disp.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Control\Wa tchdog\Display
Says NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4600 with driver reference nv4_disp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet003\Services\n v
Device Description: GeForce4 Ti 4600, calling nv4_disp
Under Device0, Device1, Device2, and Device3.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{064CD43B-FBF5-4A43-etc.,
etc.}
+0000 GeForce4 Ti 4600
+0001 Radeon 9800 Pro
+0002 Radeon 9800 Pro Secondary

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Video\{064CD43B-FBF5-4A43-etc.,
etc.}
A number of keys here reference nv4_disp

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Watchdog\Display

Old September 28th 03, 12:08 AM
Amir Facade

Download "Detonator Destroyer" he
http://www.chill-tek.com/nvidia-drivers.html

hlink.net...
:

Old September 28th 03, 06:08 AM
Skid

Create a system restore point. Then search the registry for Nvidia and
delete every reference. It shouldn't mess anything up, and if it does you
can just roll back to the restore point you created. I've done this before
to ensure a clean install and never had any trouble.

hlink.net...

Old September 28th 03, 05:42 PM
jj

Det Destroyer doesn't work for WinXP. At least it didn't yesterday when
I tried to download it. Says an XP version will be out soon.

One thought, was to back up these registry keys, then re-boot in XP Safe
Mode. Delete the keys, then re-boot. If there are any problems, I
should be able to re-boot back in safe mode, and restore the registry keys.

Personally, I think it's safe to delete any keys (except for the
re-install/roll-back) that reference the previous Nvidia card. I've
worked with Registry before (not with XP however), and it should be
safe, since the card isn't in the PC anymore. Thanks for any advice.

jj
===========
Amir Facade wrote:
Download "Detonator Destroyer" he
http://www.chill-tek.com/nvidia-drivers.html

hlink.net...

Old September 28th 03, 05:44 PM
jj

Thanks, Skid. We were thinking along the same lines. Also, before
deleting a registry key, I could always back up the key, so it could be
restored if necessary.

I wasn't sure if a system-restore point included ALL or just part of the
registry. Still, I think what you say will be safe. Removing a key for
some device no longer in your PC, should be safe. Thanks again.

jj
==========
Skid wrote:

Create a system restore point. Then search the registry for Nvidia and
delete every reference. It shouldn't mess anything up, and if it does you
can just roll back to the restore point you created. I've done this before
to ensure a clean install and never had any trouble.

hlink.net...

Old September 28th 03, 05:59 PM
Skid

"jj" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Thanks, Skid. We were thinking along the same lines. Also, before
deleting a registry key, I could always back up the key, so it could be
restored if necessary.

I wasn't sure if a system-restore point included ALL or just part of the
registry. Still, I think what you say will be safe. Removing a key for
some device no longer in your PC, should be safe. Thanks again.

Like I said, I've even scrubbed out all the ATI registry keys when updating
drivers, and never had a problem.

Old September 28th 03, 10:17 PM

jj wrote:
Det Destroyer doesn't work for WinXP. At least it didn't yesterday when
I tried to download it. Says an XP version will be out soon.

Same here. I had to remove all NVIDIA references by hand. NVIDIA did a
terrible job with keeping track of changes.

One thought, was to back up these registry keys, then re-boot in XP Safe
Mode. Delete the keys, then re-boot. If there are any problems, I
should be able to re-boot back in safe mode, and restore the registry keys.

That is what I did. Or better, make an image of the C: drive (assuming default
Windows installation system drive) with Norton Ghost.
--
"Now I have you where I want you... where is my jar of Bull ants?"
--unknown
| |o o| | E-mail: NT or NT
\ _ / Remove ANT if replying by e-mail from a newsgroup.
( )