Noises during playing some music

Old March 20th 04, 10:36 AM
Markus Gärtner

Default Noises during playing some music

Hello,

during I play some music (CD, mpec3, ...) with my computer (Asus-Board,
Soundblaster 32), out of the speakers all the time there are some buzzy
noises. They aren´t based from the speakers, but from the soundcard. Do you
know it realy is the soundcard and so when I buy a newer one I have no
problem anymore?

Thank you.
Greetings
Markus

Old March 20th 04, 01:24 PM
*Vanguard*

"Markus Gärtner" said in :
Hello,

during I play some music (CD, mpec3, ...) with my computer
(Asus-Board, Soundblaster 32), out of the speakers all the time there
are some buzzy noises. They aren´t based from the speakers, but from
the soundcard. Do you know it realy is the soundcard and so when I
buy a newer one I have no problem anymore?

Thank you.
Greetings
Markus

Actually the buzzy noise could be "based from the speakers". Are they
powered speakers? If so, you might have sources putting noise on the AC
power line, like a refridgerator turning on, a humidifier turning off,
someone running a hair dryer, and so on. I have powered speakers that
were plugged directly into the wall. Although I have a UPS, I wasn't
concerned about hearding sounds during a power outage but would rather
get my real work done. This was for the box at home. When the
refridgerator started up, I could hear a very faint background buzz.
When my tabletop humidifier shuts off, it actually doesn't just snap off
but seems to flutter off as the humidity level gets reached and that
causes a few-second buzz noise. Someone running a hair dryer creates
buzz everywhere (computer, television, stereo, etc.). The noises went
away when I moved the power for the speakers to the UPS (which has a
huge isolation transformer and line conditioning) and when I made a
better shielded extension cable for the rear speakers.

It's confusing when you say "all the time" and then say "some". Is the
buzzy sound continuous when it appears? Or does it sputter in an out?
Is the sound itself constant or is it fluctuating in pitch, rate, or
other quality (which makes it sound like it is varying)?

Does the CD drive have both analog and digital outputs? That is, other
than the ribbon cable, is there a digital or SPDIF out that is connected
to an SPDIF in on a sound card? And, if so, is the analog audio output
also connected? Just decide to use one output, probably the analog one.

*** Post replies to newsgroup. E-mail is not accepted. ***

Old March 20th 04, 06:38 PM
Markus Gärtner

wow, thank you for your special support ))

The buzzy noise in continiously and the sound in not varying. I have powered
speakers. BUT sometimes I also transfer sound and video per radio
communication to the hi-fi system and then the buzzy noise is also present
( The connection between CD-Drive and soundcard is analog.

greetings
Markus

"*Vanguard*" schrieb im
Newsbeitrag ...

Old March 20th 04, 09:33 PM
*Vanguard*

"Markus Gärtner" said in :

The buzzy noise is continous and its sound is not varying.

I added my corrections above to your sentence based I what I think you
meant to say.

Have you tried disconnecting the speakers from the sound card? Do you
still hear the buzzy noise in the speakers?

Have you tried attaching a pair of headphones to the sound card jack to
see if you can hear the buzzing in the headphones? This would isolate
the problem to the box or to the powered speakers. Do NOT use any
extension cable with the headphones, and the headphone cable should be
under 6 feet long and definitely shielded.

I am not familiar with whatever RF gear can be used to connect a
computer sound card to a stereo system. Does the buzz go away if you
disconnect and power down the RF transceiver? Or are the only
"speakers" actually your stereo system instead of separate and
*shielded* computer speakers?

Old March 21st 04, 01:30 AM
Cerridwen

Markus Gärtner wrote:
wow, thank you for your special support ))

The buzzy noise in continiously and the sound in not varying. I have
powered speakers. BUT sometimes I also transfer sound and video per
radio communication to the hi-fi system and then the buzzy noise is
also present ( The connection between CD-Drive and soundcard is
analog.

greetings
Markus

Markus,

You might want to post to a German board (there are several on my ISP's
server - yours will have some as you're obviously in Germany). I'm not
insulting your English (which is infinitely better than my German!) but you
won't have any difficulty in being understood, nor will you have problems
understanding those trying to help you.