Please help with TV tuner card.

Old March 20th 04, 03:59 AM
Bluebirdfrome

Default Please help with TV tuner card.

I don't know if it is a problem with my tv card or my CPU.

The problem:
The display is not good--it is not in full color. Instead of the actual
color picture, it's a bunch of different distorted colors. There's a lot
of green.

I have the Hauppauge WinTV TV tuner card--WinTV-GO. (Model 190) and the
WinTV 2000 software.

Please help.

Thank you very much.
Old March 20th 04, 06:18 AM
kony

On 20 Mar 2004 02:59:09 GMT, Bluebirdfrome wrote:

I don't know if it is a problem with my tv card or my CPU.

The problem:
The display is not good--it is not in full color. Instead of the actual
color picture, it's a bunch of different distorted colors. There's a lot
of green.

I have the Hauppauge WinTV TV tuner card--WinTV-GO. (Model 190) and the
WinTV 2000 software.

Please help.

Thank you very much.

Do you have a setting to enable or disable (hardware) "overlay"?
Have you tried different video card drivers?
What video card?
What OS?
Is the system working correctly otherwise? You have motherboard chipset
drivers installed?

What's the system like, briefly, like motherboard, CPU, video card, OS.

Have you changed video cards, that is, at one time prior to installing the
WinTV you switched from one card to another, then kept running same
install of the operating system?

Although you see this distorition, is it seeming to tune the different
channels? Can you hear the (different channels') audio?

Most likely it's not a problem with the TV card OR the CPU. Even a
relatively old/slow system should at least be able to show the video
onscreen even if not fast enough to encode hi-res or at high compression
rates.
Old March 20th 04, 01:14 PM
Alien Zord

"Bluebirdfrome" wrote in message
I don't know if it is a problem with my tv card or my CPU.

The problem:
The display is not good--it is not in full color. Instead of the actual
color picture, it's a bunch of different distorted colors. There's a lot
of green.

I have the Hauppauge WinTV TV tuner card--WinTV-GO. (Model 190) and the
WinTV 2000 software.

Problems like that occur when you set the wrong TV standard. Say, if your
country uses PAL and you set NTSC then you get no colour or wrong colours.

Old March 20th 04, 05:13 PM
Bluebirdfrome

Thank you for the responses.

Actually, I'm perplexed because it WAS working fine before! The colors
were just right. So, my assumption is that the TV Tuner card is faulty,
some piece of it probably came off.

My CPU is pretty fast and updated, 2.4 ghz, Win XP, the tuner is working
well, I have a Radeon 8500 haven't changed it ever since I got the
computer-basically my computer is running fine, no glitches, no hangings,
everything is normal.

Again, the malfunctioning of the WinTV is something new, the colors before
were fine until a few days ago.

What do you think the problem is?

Old March 20th 04, 06:27 PM
kony

On 20 Mar 2004 16:13:53 GMT, Bluebirdfrome wrote:

Thank you for the responses.

Actually, I'm perplexed because it WAS working fine before! The colors
were just right. So, my assumption is that the TV Tuner card is faulty,
some piece of it probably came off.

My CPU is pretty fast and updated, 2.4 ghz, Win XP, the tuner is working
well, I have a Radeon 8500 haven't changed it ever since I got the
computer-basically my computer is running fine, no glitches, no hangings,
everything is normal.

Again, the malfunctioning of the WinTV is something new, the colors before
were fine until a few days ago.

What do you think the problem is?

Well I don't think a piece of it fell off if it was just sitting in a
stationary system. It's more likely that you, another user, or windows
itself, updated a related part of the operating system or a driver and
this is a logical software glitch resulting from that.

Something I mentioned previously was a hardware overlay setting. If the
OS configuration or drivers are to blame you might see the odd colors when
using an overlay but not if you disabled that setting... though the
performance without it using an overlay would usually be much worse, but
if you were used to it that way the difference wouldn't be observed.

If you have a system restore point you might consider restoring it, or
likewise a system backup, or perhaps a temporary, fresh install of WinXP
on a spare partition or drive.

You wrote that "the tuner is working well". How can you tell if it's all
odd looking? You might also try using an editing software bundled with
the card, see if it can import the live video stream and if that looks
correct or similarly distorted. Also double-check all of the card's
application settings, then if that doesn't help then uninstall & reinstall
the application, then the driver.
Old March 21st 04, 01:32 AM
Bluebirdfrome

Hi Kony,

I turned off system restore for some other reason. How do I disable the
overlay system you are talking about? Is it possible if I can do this
myself?

By the way, I don't recall touching the settings of the driver---or of
anything! I don't know what happened. And when I mean that the TV
Tuner card is working fine, I mean that it is getting the same feed as
my television which uses the same connection.

Thanks.

Old March 21st 04, 05:19 AM
kony

On 21 Mar 2004 00:32:23 GMT, Bluebirdfrome wrote:

Hi Kony,

I turned off system restore for some other reason. How do I disable the
overlay system you are talking about? Is it possible if I can do this
myself?

The overlay control would be a per-application setting, whatever program
you're using to display the video, "IF" it offers that setting it'll be in
a menu and/or possibly a key hidden in the registry, though I have no idea
what registry key it might be on that particular TV card.

By the way, I don't recall touching the settings of the driver---or of
anything! I don't know what happened. And when I mean that the TV
Tuner card is working fine, I mean that it is getting the same feed as
my television which uses the same connection.

I stil offer the same suggestions, that if it's not an overlay setting you
should uninstall then reinstall the application and driver, possibly
reinstall the video card driver, and if all else fails then do a clean
install of the operating system. You might also contact the card
manufacturer or check their website for a Frequently Asked Questions page.

TV Tuner PCI Card stops computer from booting M Hunt General 0 February 26th 04 08:17 AM
TV Tuner Card jeremy General 9 January 4th 04 04:34 PM
video card and tv tuner card questions John General 2 December 15th 03 01:08 PM
TV Tuner Card SBreez General 7 September 7th 03 10:09 PM
Help with WinFast TV 2000 XP Tuner Card Joshua Klehm General 1 June 24th 03 10:52 PM