P5GD2 Front Panel Audio Connector Question

Old December 30th 04, 08:11 PM

Default P5GD2 Front Panel Audio Connector Question

The front panel audio connector for my P5GD2 is a 10 pin connector with
one pin removed. The manual for my P5DG2 shows two pin definition
diagrams for the front panel audio connector: an Azalia-compliant
definition and an AC'97-compliant definition. Each definition has 9 pins
plus and a single missing pin. The missing pin is in a different spot in
each diagram. The connector on the motherboard is missing a pin in the
same spot as the Azalia-compliant diagram in the manual. The missing pin
in the AC'97 diagram matches up with the actual motherboard connector if
the diagram is rotated 180 degrees.

Can this motherboard have either connector and my motherboard happens to
have the Azalia-compliant connector or is the AC'97 digaram printed
incorrectly in the manual?

Thanks.

rv2

--

No email replies please. Reply address is not valid.
Old December 31st 04, 03:25 AM
tomcas

The front panel audio connector for my P5GD2 is a 10 pin connector with
one pin removed. The manual for my P5DG2 shows two pin definition
diagrams for the front panel audio connector: an Azalia-compliant
definition and an AC'97-compliant definition. Each definition has 9 pins
plus and a single missing pin. The missing pin is in a different spot in
each diagram. The connector on the motherboard is missing a pin in the
same spot as the Azalia-compliant diagram in the manual. The missing pin
in the AC'97 diagram matches up with the actual motherboard connector if
the diagram is rotated 180 degrees.

Can this motherboard have either connector and my motherboard happens to
have the Azalia-compliant connector or is the AC'97 digaram printed
incorrectly in the manual?

Thanks.

rv2

I don't have this board but I looked at the manual. You are right,
something is definitely screwy here. The missing pin should always be in
the same physical location. I believe the diagram has been rotated 180
degrees in the Azalia diagram. I say this because the one pin that would
logically never change is the ground pin, and in this case it is 180
degrees out of position. As you know, the audio settings in the bios
determine which circuit pin outs are in effect. If you have a case or
audio panel that is Azalia compliant, then you should configure the bios
settings as such and connect to the pin outs as shown Azalia diagram.
Otherwise use the AC97 bios setting and connect per the AC97 diagram.
In the true Asus tradition the manual appears to be wrong. I can find no
mention of revision, or of anyone else questioning the error in the
knowledge base. Also, the other versions of this board have the same
error in the manual. I suggest you Email Asus for clarification. It's
amazing how Asus can make such good motherboards and yet such confusing
and error prone manuals.
Old January 2nd 05, 04:50 PM
Martin Chatfield

"tomcas" wrote in message

[...]

I can confirm that the diagram is rotated by 180 degrees, I found out by
trial and error.

Old January 2nd 05, 06:36 PM

Martin Chatfield wrote:
"tomcas" wrote in message

[...]

Thanks for the replies. I have connected the indiduial front panel wires
using the rotated AC'97 diagram and it works fine.

--

No email replies please. Reply address is not valid.