New IC7-Max3 System Problems

Old February 29th 04, 10:53 AM
matt

Default New IC7-Max3 System Problems

Thanks to the replies to my previous post, but here is an update, of how the
system looks now, but with the same errors!

Newly built system comprising of the following:
IC7-max3 Mobo
P4 3.2Ghz 800Mhz 512kb L2 Cache & Included HeatSink & Fan
2 x 512Mb Corsair DDR 400 P3200
2 x DiamondMax Plus 9 80GB SATA HDD
ASUS Radeon 9600XT 128MB DDR Graphics
400W ATX P4 12V PSU CodeGen (Model 300XX)
separate DVDROm & CDR-RW
Wisecom WS-5614UVSG USB 56K Dial up Modem
IIyama 19" VMPro 451 CRT
Windows XP Pro

All has gone very well with the build..managed to get the Raid 0 set up
ok....HDD are on SATA Ports 1 & 2.
Loaded all drivers from disks. Loaded Windows XP SP1.
Loaded N a/v 2004. Updated all.
Now when I go online, after a short random time the PC freezes, and needs
resetting. This happens in either IE or OE.
I have checked and double checked everything connection wise... even have
swapped the cooler for a Coolermaster Aero. I still get the same
freezing/locking up.
I went as far as installing windows again, and have done so a few times. I
have successfully installed windows to just one SATA disk installed, as Raid
0 again, and with both installed but separate drives, and still it freezes
when online.
I have uninstalled Nortons, reinstalled and uninstalled..still the same.
I have uninstalled the modem and tried a cheapo internal PCI modem but this
gave me wierd errors, like it would dial and you would hear the noise of it
sending data, but it would keep happening... weird!
I have tried it with and without SP1 installed... still the same.
Its driving me potty now.. so if anyone has had similar and can help I would
be very grateful.
I am away now till Friday so I apologise if I do not get back to replies in
the next few days.
Please help!! Thanks in advance.

Matty

Old February 29th 04, 01:18 PM
BobL

This sounds like a typical Memory problem. Can you swap out any other
memory? If not then you have a chip that is going south when the mobo
warms up and will have to replace the mobo.
Bob

Old February 29th 04, 01:30 PM
Ed Forsythe

Hi Matty,
I suggest you go back to a basic system/installation.
Disconnect/remove *everything* except memory, RAM, 9600XT, monitor, and
*one* HDD. Connect your HDD to IDE 1, Master. Install XP and format the
drive. Run MemTest86 Plus (Prime95 or any other stress app) overnight just
to make sure system is stable. Do *not* install Norton or any other
software/hardware. Install your modem and go online. If all is OK continue
to install your hardware one device at a time testing after each
installation. Do the same with your software and keep us informed - I know
it's a pain in the butt but it's the only to isolate the problem. Good luck.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed

Old February 29th 04, 01:40 PM
matt

HI Bob... thanks for the reply.

"BobL" wrote in message
This sounds like a typical Memory problem. Can you swap out any other
memory? If not then you have a chip that is going south when the mobo
warms up and will have to replace the mobo.
Bob

Can you please explain this a bit? What gets me is it alsways happens when I
go online. Also, one thing I forgot to mention is that when installing some
drivers, it will automatically reboot before the driver is installed. I then
would have to reinstall the driver.
Something seems chronically unstable!!

Cheers Matty

Old February 29th 04, 01:47 PM
Ed Forsythe

Oops, Matt,
I think you'd better hook up your CDRom s.
--
Tally Ho!
Ed

Old February 29th 04, 01:53 PM
TomG

doesn't sound like a hardware problem to me, at least not the mobo, ram, CPU
and hard drives. look at the situation... you've gotten the same results no
matter how you had it set up.

I personally do not like USB modems for either dial-up of high speed and I
wonder if that is the issue. I realize you swapped out the modem but you
went from bad to worse, in my opinion, by swapping the USB modem with the
"el-cheapo" PCI modem which could easily have been a Winmodem. Winmodem's
are famous for their issues.

get the system put back together the way you intend to build it, with raid 0
or whatever you intend to stick with and just for ****s and grins, load a
game (your favorite or whatever) that has some load to it when it is played
and see if the system is stable. if heating it up with a game doesn't show
any issues, then there is a fairly good chance that the system is stable in
most respects.

then start troubleshooting the internet as a separate issue. consider
either buying an external serial modem, assuming your board has a serial
port on the back I/O panel, or at the minimum, a brand name *non winmodem*
PCI slot modem like US Robotics or something like that. but no winmodems!

--

Thomas Geery
Network+ certified

ftp://geerynet.d2g.com
ftp://68.98.180.8 Abit Mirror ----- Cable modem IP
over 120,000 FTP users served!
^^^^^^^

Old February 29th 04, 01:54 PM
TomG

I would agree if the board was unstable in all applications or just booting
the OS. ram is not going to be unhappy just because he tries to go out on
the internet. I also realize that the question remains unanswered as to is
that the only time the system freezes... that's why I asked that he build
it out the way he wants it built out and go from there with some testing.

Old February 29th 04, 01:57 PM
TomG

if you are going to take this approach, which is fine, be sure to enable the
Internet Connection Firewall feature on the dial-up connection as you will
be going online in a world full of viruses and Trojans... one should do this
anyway any time they are not behind a good firewall/NAT Router, personal
opinion....