Big trouble now, pc won't boot...

Old September 2nd 04, 09:35 PM
toedipper

Default Big trouble now, pc won't boot...

Well, after much testing, it turns out it seems I fried the motherboard.

I removed the hard drive, graphics card and memory and they all worked in
another PC ok.

I put the same components from the other pc into mine and exact same
outcome, sort of powers up, hard drive spins but doesn't get to bios loading
etc.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Anyone know a good supplier of motherboard or bundle kits as I was thinking
of upgrading anyway? My motherboard is a ASUS TUSL-L which I believe ASUS
made for HP, it is not one of ASUS normal kits. The form factor is listed
here http://tinyurl.com/6efxy as UATX- ATX ...do I just look for another
board of the same size?

thanks,

TD

"toedipper" wrote in message
Sorry for the x post but I am in deep sh*t....

I posted earlier today and asked under a topic of 'Slower
mory...better?' - if 256mb of pc66 memory would be better than 196 mb of
combined 64 pc100 and 128mb pc133 memory...

Well to cut a long story short I gave it a go and put in the 2 x 128mb
pc66 chips and the pc would not boot (not even power up) so I thought this
was due to my pc requiring a minimum of pc100 memory. At worst I could go
frying the mem chips as I got them foc...

So I took them out and put in my original memory and the pc powers up but
nothing happens....it sort of powers up but no activity...

Here are the symptoms in no particular order....

The power supply seems to be working as the fan inside the power supply is
going.

The hard drive *starts* to spin up, I can hear it, but just does not get
there, the hard drive activity light comes on *steady* for about 1-2 mins
and then goes out and system stays on. Usually when system is booting
the hard drive light flickers as it reads data

The cd and dvd drive lights flash as if checking to see if anything in
there like they always do

There are 2 cpu fans inside the case and they get the power from the
motherboard and they work ok, disonnecting their leads from the
motherboard stops them so there must be power going to the motherboard

There is no power, or seems to be no power, going to keyboard via ps2
port, pressing caps/num lock produce no flashing led

If I take power out of hard drive then it does not spin up so power must
be going to it in first place to cause it to spin up

If I take all memory out of system and switch on then it beeps and a green
light comes on motherboard beside the 2 memory slots so ther must be some
intelligence somewhere for it to know there is no memory

If I take the main lead from power supply to motherboard out then pc will
not power up at all so the must be some power going to motherboard for it
to even power up and sit there

At the back of the PC - a HP Pavilion 710 ,1.3 Celeron, 40gb hd and
original 128mb ram- on the power supply is a green light and this on
always on. I am not sure if this is always on or is on due to the fault

Monitor flashes as if in standby mode waiting for video signal, as if I
have shut pc down at night and not switched monitor off

I have disconnected and reset all cables and pci cards but no joy incase
it was something loose

What do you think? Have I wrecked the PC. I am typing this from another.

Cheers,

td.

Old September 4th 04, 02:34 PM
Dennis E Strausser Jr

"YanquiDawg" wrote in message
Did you reset the cmos jumper?

He @ least seems smart enough to have thought of that.
Besides, it is an old (Socket 370) anyway.
Socket 423 (462 not Intel) socket 478 (LGA775) (754, 939, 940 not Intel.)
Might as well get a new MB.
+ Socket 462 or Socket A MB's are cheap, and so are the CPU's
But they still have enough speed for a lot, Doom 3 calls for 1500+ or
higher.

Denny. ;-) :-)