Lose CD-ROM & CD-RW randomly

Old August 18th 03, 04:23 AM
Rich Barry

Default Lose CD-ROM & CD-RW randomly

How much Wattage is the Power Supply rated at.
"Steph379" wrote in message
.. .
Hello,

Recently I have been "losing" the ability to use by CD-ROM and CD-RW (both
internal IDE) at random times. I am using Windows 2000, and what

eventually
happens is the system will freeze for about 10 seconds and I will get a
message saying that my CD-ROM has been "unplugged/ejected" (which is not

the
case obviously since it is an internal drive and I haven't touched it).
Given that this is setup to be my Secondary Master and my CD-RW my

Secondary
Slave (my Hard drive is a Maxtor and set up as Primary Slave) I lose the
ability to use both my CD-ROM and CD-RW.

I still have power to my CD-ROM (Sony CDU701) as the eject button will

open
the bay door, however once this happens I lose power to the CD-RW (HP
CD-Writer 9100). Usually, this problem will also be accompanied by my hard
drive (HDD LED) light staying on.

If I go to my computer, I only see my hard drive (C. The D: and E:
disappear as if they had never existed.

A warm reboot (restart from Windows 2000) will usually not fix the

problem -
when the reboot cycle attempts to detect IDE drives, there is a long

pause,
followed by only the hard drive being detected.

A cold reboot (either via restart button or shutting down the PC entirely)
will fix the problem without any intervention to the hardware. This is

what
makes me wonder if this is a hardware issue at all... The CD-ROM/CD-RW

will
be fine for another random while until the whole problem starts again.

Hard drive diagnostics (virus, error checking, etc) has revealed no

issues.

If anyone has any ideas on what this could be or what more diagnostics I

can
perform, I'd appreciate it! The only software updates I have made are
critical patches from the Windows update site a few days ago.

Stephan

Old August 19th 03, 01:39 AM
Steph379

300W. Do you think it is a faulty power supply?

I have made no hardware changes for at least a couple of years. I did
however try to experiment. When my CD drives went dead again I unplugged the
power from the CD-burner (the one that seeminly lost power) and reconnected
it. The CD's returned (in "My Computer")..

Stephan

"Rich Barry" wrote in message
.. .
How much Wattage is the Power Supply rated at.
.. .

Old August 19th 03, 07:35 AM
rcm

Check all your connections, cards, etc. Maybe they are just loose. Very
small chance but try reseating everything. Remember to do cables both at
the motherboard or card and the hard drive/cd-rom.

Power off obviously.

And check your cables for video and power.
"Steph379" wrote in message
300W. Do you think it is a faulty power supply?

I have made no hardware changes for at least a couple of years. I did
however try to experiment. When my CD drives went dead again I unplugged

the
power from the CD-burner (the one that seeminly lost power) and

reconnected
it. The CD's returned (in "My Computer")..

Stephan

"Rich Barry" wrote in message
.. .
How much Wattage is the Power Supply rated at.
.. .

Old August 21st 03, 08:20 AM
Rich Barry

Steph are you using EZ Creator CD by Roxio. If yes try here. Also, go to
Roxio's site and get the latest updates.
.. .