Low toner on Dell 1320c: machine locks up

Old December 12th 09, 11:31 PM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Newshound

Default Low toner on Dell 1320c: machine locks up

Until now I have been quite pleased with the quality of this low cost colour
laser; user interface not quite as nice as HP's but it's fine for business
graphics and even not too bad for photos/

However yesterday the yellow toner decided it was empty (it wasn't: still
printing fine) so it's given up up printing altogether which is a pest, as I
have a job to finish.

Hunt around on the web and find there's a setting in the Toolbox for "Non
Dell Toner" which ignores the chip. The printer is on a network and when I
try to implement that, it asks me for a username and password. My
windows/network username and password don't work. Looking in the manuals
there's supposed to be a default for the printer of admin/admin. That
doesn't work either. I certainly havn't set a different one: didn't even
know it was there until yesterday.

Try again today and now I can't even get into the Toolbox.

rant I understand that some manufactures make their profit from
consumables. But I'm on my third Dell desktop at home, plus this printer.
This is the sort of thing which makes me change manufacturer. And what sort
of programmers code difficulties like this on purpose? /rant

So what am I missing? Can I get a chip resetter for Dell cartridges? Plenty
on the web for Epson and Canon.

Old December 13th 09, 12:30 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Newshound

And the other joy I had forgotten about, I often put the system into standby
rather than shutting down, and since mucking around with printer settings
and options I now get the message

"The service 'Dell Printer Status Watcher' is preventing the machine from
entering standby. Try stopping this service and try again".

But I can't figure out how to stop it.

Old December 13th 09, 08:45 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Newshound

OK so I did a complete reinstall of the Dell software, and now I *can* get
the tool box to display. But when I try to look at anything a "Getting
information" window opens and when the bars have gone right across I get a
Toolbox error message "Information not acquired because status monitor was
running". But I can't figure out how to stop the status monitor and still
display the Toolbox.

Old December 14th 09, 09:51 AM posted to comp.periphs.printers
Arthur Entlich

As you mention, many printer companies live on consumable sales and they
will do whatever they can within the legal means to disrupt the
functionality once a cartridge gets low.

Some Konica-Minolta printers send up warning pages indicating your
cartridge is too low or empty or a non-Minolta cartridge, of course this
warning only shows up after a minute or two after you hit the print
button, just to make sure you may have not noticed it are wait for the
printer to kick in (which it won't until you cancel that page). Then,
it slows the printer from 16 pages a minute to 4, putting an extra
"cleaning cycle" between each page printed, which has only two real
functions, to slow the printer down further still and to wear out the
cartridge and drum quicker.

If you refill, without replacing the chip, the printer will continue to
work, but it will throw all the above diversions at you every time you
try to print.

Anyway, sorry no help regarding the problems with the drive you have
encountered, but I do empathize.

Art

If you are interested in issues surrounding e-waste,
I invite you to enter the discussion at my blog:

http://e-trashtalk.spaces.live.com/