static IRQ for my WinTV PCI Card

Old November 8th 04, 08:57 PM
Remien, Carsten

Default static IRQ for my WinTV PCI Card

Hi,

I have a ASUS 7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2 Mainboard, running BIOS Rev. 1008.

I would like to gave my WinTV card a static and own IRQ, but I =
couldn=B4t find a possible entry in BIOS Setup under "PCI & PnP =
Configuration". There, I only could reserve a IRQ for a none PnP Card =
(but that doesn=B4t help me out). :-(

On my OS (Win XP SP2), I couldn=B4t set a static IRQ.

Are there any other possibilities?

Thanks

Carsten Remien

--=20

(Use ROT13 to see my email address)

Old November 8th 04, 10:26 PM
Ender

On Mon, 8 Nov 2004 21:57:39 +0100, "Remien, Carsten"
wrote:

Hi,

I have a ASUS 7N8X Deluxe Rev. 2 Mainboard, running BIOS Rev. 1008.

I would like to gave my WinTV card a static and own IRQ, but I couldn´t find a possible entry in BIOS Setup under "PCI & PnP Configuration". There, I only could reserve a IRQ for a none PnP Card (but that doesn´t help me out). :-(

On my OS (Win XP SP2), I couldn´t set a static IRQ.

Are there any other possibilities?

Thanks

Carsten Remien

If you are looking to assure that the slot has an exclusive IRQ
assignment, you are out of luck since all 5 PCI slots share resources
with other slots and various onboard peripherals. The chart on page
32 of the manual indicates the following:

PCI slot 1 shares with slot 5 and the WiFi slot
PCI slot 2 shares with the AGP slot
PCI slot 3 shares with SATA devices
PCI slot 4 shares with the Gigabit LAN adapter
PCI slot 5 shares with slot 1 and the WiFi slot

Now, if you have nothing in slot 1 and you are not using the WiFi
slot, then you can put the card in slot 5 and it will have an
exclusive resource assignment

Additionally, if you have no SATA devices, then PCI slot 3 will
receive an exclusive assignment.

With ACPI enabled, XP will make virtual IRQ assignments and pretty
much any conflicts that might have been a concern in the past, will
not be an issue today.

Are you experiencing issues with your current setup, or just trying to
plan so you don't have any issues?

Regards,

Ender

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
Old November 9th 04, 07:41 PM
Remien, Carsten

"Ender" schrieb im Newsbeitrag =

| Now, if you have nothing in slot 1 and you are not using the WiFi
| slot, then you can put the card in slot 5 and it will have an
| exclusive resource assignment

Hm, Slot 1 is free and when I put the TV Card in Slot 5, it share=B4s it =
with "NVIDIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller".

| Additionally, if you have no SATA devices, then PCI slot 3 will
| receive an exclusive assignment.

The same as Slot 5 :-(=20
(SATA is disabled)

I have also tried with APIC enabled/disabled.

I think, I have to create two Hardwareprofiles, one as now, the other =
with disabled USB Support.

Old November 9th 04, 10:14 PM
Noozer

Hm, Slot 1 is free and when I put the TV Card in Slot 5, it share´s it with
"NVIDIA PCI to USB Enhanced Host Controller".

| Additionally, if you have no SATA devices, then PCI slot 3 will
| receive an exclusive assignment.

The same as Slot 5 :-(
(SATA is disabled)

I have also tried with APIC enabled/disabled.

I think, I have to create two Hardwareprofiles, one as now, the other with
disabled USB Support.

Why? XP can do the IRQ sharing without a problem. If it doesn't work then
it's a driver issue.