Non-Canon photo papers for PIXMA iP8500?

Old April 8th 05, 04:54 PM
measekite

Oliver Costich wrote:

On Fri, 08 Apr 2005 05:39:47 GMT, measekite
wrote:

Ron Cohen wrote:

I much prefer using Office Depot (Konica),

Since you are pretty sure that Konica makes the Office Depot paper do
you have any idea who makes the Costco/Kirkland paper and to what
specification. Some say it is Ilford Gallerie Photo Glossy and others
have mentioned Konica.

It's made in Switzerland, which points to Ilford. It also gets
excellent results using the Ilford-supplied profiles.

How do you get the Ilford profiles and install them into the Canon
Driver so they come up on the menu?

Red River Ultra Pro or Ilford
Gallerie from Sam's over the Kodak Ultima I have on hand. Not just because
of the problems you mention, but because it isn't moisture resistant whereas
the other paper are.

What do you mean by being moisture resistant?

However, I have gotten some really nice prints using
Kodak Ultima, but not with any of the recommended settings. It's been a
while since I last used it and don't remember the settings used at the time.
As I get time I'm going to experiment with some of my remaining Ultima (five
packages left) and document the settings. I think that I used glossy paper
setting with my iP4000 and possibly plain paper settings with my i950. Plain
paper definately won't work with the iP4000 since that setting uses
pigmented black and that would cause very noticeable bronzing.

Do you know what the High Resolution Paper Setting on the IP4000 uses?
And what exactly does Canon mean by High Resolution Paper as opposed to
a high quality plain paper?

Old April 8th 05, 08:56 PM
John H

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 17:45:04 GMT, "Burt" wrote:

I also had problems with Kodak paper on my Epson Stylus 900. I installed
the software that Kodak recommended and used the settings they recommended
and still got ink that didn't dry well and bronzing in the dark areas. I
feel that Baird's suggestions are ok on the NG for the reasons you stated,
but I wouldn't use Kodak paper on my Epson or my canon i960. Epson, Canon,
and Kirkland papers work so well that I see no reason to waste my time
tinkering with the Kodak papers.

The Kodak paper in my i960 gave horrible results. The pictures were grainy, the
ink leaked through, and the sheets stuck together. I used the settings
recommended by Kodak.

I've had great luck with Epson paper, but Costco stopped carrying it, here. I
bought a box of the Kirkland, based on what I've read here, but haven't tried it
yet.
--
John H

Old April 9th 05, 02:14 AM
Oliver Costich

wrote:

Ron Cohen wrote:

I much prefer using Office Depot (Konica),

Since you are pretty sure that Konica makes the Office Depot paper do
you have any idea who makes the Costco/Kirkland paper and to what
specification. Some say it is Ilford Gallerie Photo Glossy and others
have mentioned Konica.

It's made in Switzerland, which points to Ilford. It also gets
excellent results using the Ilford-supplied profiles.

How do you get the Ilford profiles and install them into the Canon
Driver so they come up on the menu?

http://www.ilford.com/html/us_englis...ES/default.asp
has instructions for use with Photoshop and Elements.. I believe that
some other editing software can use profiles too.

Old April 11th 05, 05:34 PM
Ronald Baird

Hi Measekit,

I appreciate your comments and concern, Measekit, but I honestly believe
this is a solution, it is not intended as an ad. The OneTouch option often
remedies poor prints on Kodak paper. Or the settings that can be found at
the Kodak Inkjet site. This is all free and there is no profit at all to
Kodak if
someone is already using Kodak paper. My reply is centered on helping those
with printing issues and I do try to help others with non Kodak related
problems.

My apologies to any that take offense at my posts. Just trying to help with
issues.

Talk to you all soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

I know you are trying to be helpful but this NG and the printer NG is
not a venue for you company's advertising aka SPAM.

Ronald Baird wrote:

Greetings Tom,

Kodak has created something called One Touch. This feature is

incorporated
into the Kodak EasyShare Software as well as a stand alone reference from
their website. Please visit

http://www.kodak.com/go/inkjet
http://www.kodak.com/go/onetouch

These two options will give you some insight into what is offered. If

you
go to the Inkjet site, look to the left of the screen and click on

Printer
Settings. If you have a current driver installed for your printer, use

the
suggested settings and you will find that Kodak paper will yield good
results.

The One Touch site gives you the option of downloading and installing the
latest driver adjustments for your printer if you are using the EasyShare
software. Of course, all of this is free.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Old April 11th 05, 05:35 PM
Ronald Baird

Hi Patrick,

Glad I can help. Yes, I work for Kodak and I do communicate here for them.

Kodak goes to the trouble of acquiring most all of the current printers that
are out there as well as new drivers that might be released for earlier
printers. We then test these printers using Kodak inkjet paper, i.e. we test
with the use of the manufacturers ink and the most current driver. This is
the criteria we include when we test the papers we offer. The printer
settings noted on our site are those found to provide the best results.
This is just another way Kodak tries to help its customers get the best
possible results.

As to color matching, we do not include that on our General Inkjet Papers
(this is built into the KODAK EASYSHARE Software), but we do for the
Professional Inkjet Papers we offer. Please go to the Kodak home page and
click on the Professional Photographer/Lab tab. On that page you will see a
listing for Digital Products to the left side of the page. Click on this
link and then on the Inkjet option. On that page you will see a number of
links that will inform you of all the features of our Professional Inkjet
Paper. You will also find a link to ICC profiles for many printers.

Hope this helps, Patrick, let me know if you think I can help further.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

These two options will give you some insight into what is offered. If

you
go to the Inkjet site, look to the left of the screen and click on

Printer
Settings. If you have a current driver installed for your printer, use

the
suggested settings and you will find that Kodak paper will yield good
results.

The One Touch site gives you the option of downloading and installing

the
latest driver adjustments for your printer if you are using the

EasyShare
software. Of course, all of this is free.

Talk to you soon,

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

Hi Ron,

Thanks for your input into this thread. I don't know if it's official or
unofficial your input on behalf of Kodak, but it's welcome. It's a shame
other manufacturer don't contribute.

Old April 11th 05, 06:10 PM
Ivor Floppy

"measekite" wrote in message
I know you are trying to be helpful but this NG and the printer NG is not a
venue for you company's advertising aka SPAM.

Like the way you always push Canon printers?

Old April 11th 05, 07:10 PM
Ronald Baird

Hi Burt,

I can appreciate your experiences and am glad to help. If you want to send
me a file that you have successfully printed on another paper, I will be
glad to make a print here on Kodak paper and return it to you (supply
details offline). You can then see what Kodak papers can do. I will use
the settings we have found in our testing and also compare them to a print
made by our labs. The experiences you have noted are not common to most
printers and Kodak paper.

Since you are using Photoshop, you may want to review the ICC profiles that
are offered for our Professional Inkjet papers. You can find them on the
Kodak site under the Professional Tab Inkjet ICC Profiles. There is a
workflow provided for you as well. Of course it is also free. This may
help if you want to try that paper with Photoshop.

I can also appreciate your Brother In Laws situation. Truth is, Burt, that
most of those using digital cameras are not as computer efficient as you,
but just general folk that want to take advantage of this great new digital
technology. So, making something technical as easy as it can be is what
Kodak is trying to do. The suggestion that your Brother In Law connect his
camera to a computer (if allowed by the owner) is a viable way to get images
out of the camera. If the person did not want to use The EasyShare option,
they could choose the camera wizard offered by XP to download the images.
Or, they could download the CCS option of EasyShare (Camera Connection
Software) which uses PTP. This communication standard or Picture Transfer
Protocol is used by Kodak, who was one of the first to implement and was one
of the primary authors of the standard, which has been submittd to the ISO
and is in the process of being adopted. There are numerous advantages to
using PTP, one of which is that the new direct-to-printer standard
PictBridge, which runs on top of PTP.

However, most OS' do not have PTP drivers in the base OS. (Windows XP and
MacOS X do, everything else does not) This will require that you install a
driver to communicate with the cameras, like that of many other devices. To
install just the driver for Kodak cameras, run the EasyShare install disk,
or go to the Kodak web site and select custom install and install only
"Camera Connection Software." You will not get any of the EasyShare software
or the automatic transfer but your camera will be recognized by the computer
and will show up in windows Explorer as a logical drive (hard disk). Kodak
is a world known site and company so I suspect that there would be little
concern about downloading the feature.

Also, many others on vacation in Europe will use the Kodak Picturemaker,
other possible services like it. This allows you to remove the card from
the camera, insert it into the kiosk, get their images stored, then the card
prepared for the next round of picture taking. They can use their pictures
later for printing, slide shows, sharing with friends and family, and more.
That might have been the easiest solution for your Brother in Law.

Anyway, talk to you soon, Burt, let me know if you have any questions.

Ron Baird
Eastman Kodak Company

There is very little difference, if any, in color tone and intensity when
printing on any of the three papers I mentioned when using my i960. I
acutally like the kirkland paper more than the canon pro and it is much
cheaper besides. I would bet that the Kodak paper is simply designed to

be
compatable with the Kodak printer/ink system and they have done profiles

for
all printers to expand their marketplace. A friend sent me a print, made

on
kodak paper in a kodak printer (possibly the one that only does 4x6) and
your can see the darkest areas raised from the surface of the paper.

Wierd!
I have seen the kodak rep's posts following every complaint on this NG

with
the assurance that the paper is compatable with all the printers with the
suggestion that one downloads and prints out of the kodak software and

uses
settings specific to their printer. I followed their instructions and

still
couldn't get a decent result (prints didn't dry and had bronzing). In
addition, I waant to use Photoshop to adjust images and print from as

well.
Their software is easy but not full featured like PS.

My brother-in-law is not computer literate and never will be. He bought a
Kodak digital camera that takes beautiful pictures - 10x optical zoom, 4
MPixels. One reason he bought it is because it comes with the docking
station and easyprint software. Kodak has approached the segment of the
marketplace that wants a dumbed down system which does not have a steep
learning curve. Not really a bad idea. The camera takes very sharp images
and has lots of excellent features, but it can also be used with very

little
computer knowledge. So --- my brother-in-law wanted to know how to use

his
camera while abroad and send images back to friends by email. He hadn't
brought his USB cable with hime when he visited us, so I couldn't attach

it
to my computer to see if the camera would be recognized as an additional
disk drive. The USB port/cable end that Kodak uses was different from the
standard AB cable used for printers and for my Olympus cameras. I don't
know if the Kodak cable is proprietary or just a different standard cable.
I emailed Kodak tech support and asked if the camera would be recognized

as
a drive when attached to the computer via USB cable and the reply said

that
he could hook the camera up to a computer, download their software to the
computer, and use their software to send an image by email. I replied

that
no one is going to want software installed on their computer by a

stranger
who wants to send an email attachment. The tech reply was that he should
buy a usb card reader to use when away from home. We found later that he
could simply attach the camera via USB and it was read as a drive! Kodak
tech support didn't even know its own product. Pretty sad!

Old April 11th 05, 07:43 PM
measekite

In all respects if every person that worked for some organization did
what you do on this site, not that it is all that bad, then this NG
would not be a non-commercial personal NG. I hope you can understand.
Most of your posts mention Kodak. That is not very independent even if
they are not ads per say.

Look at the movies you pay to see. The products that you see in the
movies, like computers that say Dell on them are really ads and the
companies pay for that product placement.

Ronald Baird wrote:

Hi Measekit,

I appreciate your comments and concern, Measekit, but I honestly believe
this is a solution, it is not intended as an ad. The OneTouch option often
remedies poor prints on Kodak paper. Or the settings that can be found at
the Kodak Inkjet site. This is all free and there is no profit at all to
Kodak if
someone is already using Kodak paper. My reply is centered on helping those
with printing issues and I do try to help others with non Kodak related
problems.

My apologies to any that take offense at my posts. Just trying to help with
issues.

Also Canon Tech Support and the Canon Reps tell me not to use Kodak
paper in Canon printers. They recommend Canon and Epson papers as the
official recommendations. By the way, Costco/Kirkland is fantastic. It
might be made by Ilford.

Old April 11th 05, 07:45 PM
measekite

Ronald Baird wrote:

Hi Patrick,

Glad I can help. Yes, I work for Kodak and I do communicate here for them.

This is an example of Kodak PR. You are being paid by Kodak to
participate on this NG. So it is a high class form of spamming.

Kodak goes to the trouble of acquiring most all of the current printers that
are out there as well as new drivers that might be released for earlier
printers. We then test these printers using Kodak inkjet paper, i.e. we test
with the use of the manufacturers ink and the most current driver. This is
the criteria we include when we test the papers we offer.

Then why does Canon recommend Epson if you do not want to use Canon Paper?

Old April 11th 05, 07:48 PM
measekite

I am a Visual Basic.net Sql Server Database Programmer. I do not work
for Canon, Costco, Epson, Kodak or any company that is associated with
either the Printer, Paper, Ink, or Phtography industry. Do your
homework! :-P

Ivor Floppy wrote:

.. .