Metamerism - do Canon printers suffer?

Old May 5th 05, 08:17 PM
Si.

Default Metamerism - do Canon printers suffer?

My Epson R200 prints seem to suffer terrible metamerism - do Canon printers
suffer too?

Si.

Old May 5th 05, 09:54 PM
missingdata

I haven't seen any significant metamerism with the 200 when used on
suitable papers and with the correct settings for the target paper.
Which doesn't seem surprising given that the 200 uses dye and not
pigment inks. I have seen situations where the gradation to the
darkest blacks doesn't look smooth until the inks are fully dry, and
I've seen very bad results with cheap papers used with high volume ink
settings, but I still wouldn't call either of them 'metamerism'.

Old May 5th 05, 11:28 PM
Si.

"missingdata" wrote in message
ups.com...
I haven't seen any significant metamerism with the 200 when used on
suitable papers and with the correct settings for the target paper.
Which doesn't seem surprising given that the 200 uses dye and not
pigment inks. I have seen situations where the gradation to the
darkest blacks doesn't look smooth until the inks are fully dry, and
I've seen very bad results with cheap papers used with high volume ink
settings, but I still wouldn't call either of them 'metamerism'.

R200, Epson premium glossy - horrible magenta cast when viewed under
tungsten. Fine in daylight - held at the window.

Si.

Old May 6th 05, 01:59 AM
SamSez

"Si." wrote in message

"missingdata" wrote in message
ups.com...
I haven't seen any significant metamerism with the 200 when used on
suitable papers and with the correct settings for the target paper.
Which doesn't seem surprising given that the 200 uses dye and not
pigment inks. I have seen situations where the gradation to the
darkest blacks doesn't look smooth until the inks are fully dry, and
I've seen very bad results with cheap papers used with high volume ink
settings, but I still wouldn't call either of them 'metamerism'.

R200, Epson premium glossy - horrible magenta cast when viewed under
tungsten. Fine in daylight - held at the window.

Si.

R200, Epson premium glossy -- absolutely no cast under tungsten, fluorescent or
daylight, even in jet black areas of the prints. Are you sure it is 'real'
epson premium glossy? [and are you sure it's printed on the side that doesn't
say 'EPSON'??]

Old May 6th 05, 12:18 PM
Arthur Entlich

It is quite rare that dye colorant inks suffer from metamerism,
especially these days. Can you describe what is happening. I think you
may be confusing the term.

Which colors are being altered, and under what conditions exactly?

Art

Old May 6th 05, 12:32 PM
Arthur Entlich

What you have described is not metamerism, what you state is color
shifting. ALL prints show some color shifting, because the components
of the "white" light you are using as your source for illumination
differ. Tungsten lamps give off a lot of red (yellow and magenta if you
please) and so the red is more obvious.

I have noticed that some Epson papers take a few hours/even a day to
settle down, and for the magenta to fully integrate into the surface,
depending upon the paper.

Does it only seem to occur with Premium glossy? What about photo glossy
for instance? If it is specific to one paper, you should speak to Epson
about it. Is it in a certain density within the print, or over all
ranges? I would try slightly backing off on the magenta in the density
area it is most distasteful. Just be ware that all prints respond to
differing lighting, and unless you know you are printing for viewing
under a specific light spectrum, you may never find perfection.

Art

Old May 6th 05, 12:56 PM
Arthur Entlich

I was wondering if the OP sees the magenta cast in white areas with no
ink as well... it could be a failure of the "whitening"/UV agents in
the paper. Or maybe there are 3rd party inks involved?

Art

SamSez wrote:

"Si." wrote in message

roups.com...

Old May 6th 05, 11:38 PM
Si.

"SamSez" wrote in message
R200, Epson premium glossy -- absolutely no cast under tungsten,
fluorescent or
daylight, even in jet black areas of the prints. Are you sure it is
'real'
epson premium glossy? [and are you sure it's printed on the side that
doesn't
say 'EPSON'??]

Oh, it's a good job my belt's done up tighlty - I might have split my sides
laughing.

Si.

Old May 6th 05, 11:43 PM
Si.

"Arthur Entlich" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for the more serious response Art. I tend to stick with premium
glossy because I find it gives the best print overall, except that is for
the colour shift. I used the term metamerism after reading the article here
http://www.fineartgicleeprinters.org...smproblems.htm

Si.

Old May 6th 05, 11:45 PM
Si.

It is quite rare that dye colorant inks suffer from metamerism, especially
these days. Can you describe what is happening. I think you may be
confusing the term.

Which colors are being altered, and under what conditions exactly?

Art

Tend to notice it a lot in blues which take on a magenta cast under
tungsten, which then disappears if I take the print to a window and view it
in daylight.....

Si.