need help upgrading old pc

Old August 29th 04, 01:46 PM
justinnkim

Default need help upgrading old pc

I have an old AMD athlon 700. On shuttle's site it states that the board can
handle a 1GHz chip. The board has a 100Mhz FSB when i go to pricewatch to
preform a price check I see a 1GHz chip with a 200MHz FSB not 100MHz. I
found a CPU on for $149 its an AMD - Athlon 1GHz with 3DNow! (K7) 1000MHz
- OEM - 512k SlotA 512k. I just want to make sure that i buy the right chip
and install the fastest chip that i can. So I can extend the life of this
system. Thanks Justin

* Chipset
AMD-751 (Irongate, North Bridge)
AMD-756 (South Bridge)
* Slot A CPU Support
AMD Athlon and Thunderbird (Slot A) with 500 ... 1000 MHz
Automatic adjustment of the CPU Vcore-voltage
Connetor for CPU- and AGP-fan onboard available.
* Expansion Slots
1 x A.G.P. 66/133MHz (2X mode), 3,3V
5 x 32 Bit PCI (all busmasters)
* Onboard IDE Controller
2-Channel Enhanced PCI IDE
for up to 4 IDE devices
supports UltraDMA/66
with ATA-66-Kabel
* Hardware monitoring
for temperature, voltage and fan
* More interfaces
1 x Floppy drive (up to 2,88 MB)
1 x Parallel (SSP/EPP/ECP)
2 x Serial (16550 compatible, Fifo)
1 x Infrared (SIR/CIR, IrDA-Adapter not included in delivery)
1 x PS/2-Mouse
1 x PS/2-Keyboard
1 x WOL (Wake on Lan)
4 x USB
* Memory
3 x 168-Pin DIMM-socket
for up to 768 MB memory SDRAM
with 8, 16, 32, 64, 128 and 256 MB size
* Power Management
Power saving modes: Doze, Standby and Suspend
ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Interface),
On/Off-button with two functions: Suspend-mode / soft-off
* BIOS
Award v6.0PG PnP Green BIOS
2 MBit Flash EPROM
* Form Factor
30,5 x 24,4 cm, ATX.

Old August 29th 04, 02:31 PM
jpsga

Justin,

There is a Slot A 1000mHz unit over on eBay, $80.00.

JPS

Old August 29th 04, 03:55 PM
Matt

justinnkim wrote:

found a CPU on for $149 its an AMD - Athlon 1GHz with 3DNow! (K7) 1000MHz
- OEM - 512k SlotA 512k. I just want to make sure that i buy the right chip
and install the fastest chip that i can. So I can extend the life of this
system. Thanks Justin

Buy a new nforce2 motherboard and a new Athlon XP 2500+ Barton for about
$150.

Old August 29th 04, 04:20 PM
Matt

Matt wrote:
justinnkim wrote:

found a CPU on for $149 its an AMD - Athlon 1GHz with 3DNow! (K7)
1000MHz
- OEM - 512k SlotA 512k. I just want to make sure that i buy the right
chip
and install the fastest chip that i can. So I can extend the life of this
system. Thanks Justin

Buy a new nforce2 motherboard and a new Athlon XP 2500+ Barton for about
$150.

But you would also need new (DDR) RAM if you go with the new mobo.

Old August 29th 04, 05:32 PM
Dave C.

"justinnkim" wrote in message
I have an old AMD athlon 700. On shuttle's site it states that the board

can
handle a 1GHz chip. The board has a 100Mhz FSB when i go to pricewatch to
preform a price check I see a 1GHz chip with a 200MHz FSB not 100MHz. I
found a CPU on for $149 its an AMD - Athlon 1GHz with 3DNow! (K7)

1000MHz
- OEM - 512k SlotA 512k. I just want to make sure that i buy the right

chip
and install the fastest chip that i can. So I can extend the life of this
system. Thanks Justin

from www.mwave.com, motherboard bundles:

MB-BA03057 -BA19906 -BA13301 -BA02606 - AMD ATHLON XP 2000+ 266MHZ OEM
BUNDLE W/ Details (BIOSTAR M7NCD-400; MWAVE COPPER PLATE FAN; MWAVE 512MB
DDR266; NO TESTING) $175.00 $175.00

note that includes processor, good quality mainboard and 512MB RAM

Attached Images

Old August 29th 04, 09:29 PM
Dave C.

Buy a new nforce2 motherboard and a new Athlon XP 2500+ Barton for about
$150.

what is Barton???

The codename for a certain series of microprocessor. -Dave

Old August 29th 04, 10:22 PM
Matt

justinnkim wrote:

what is Barton???

It is the cat's meow in Athlon XP CPUs. More at www.google.com.

Upgrading old system Pen General 2 January 4th 05 12:05 AM
Help needed with upgrading Dell D400 Latitude's 802.11b to "g" or combo. Arawak Homebuilt PC's 0 August 8th 04 10:50 PM
Upgrading memory Mini Me Homebuilt PC's 2 December 6th 03 01:37 PM
upgrading BIOS [email protected] Homebuilt PC's 2 December 4th 03 10:40 AM
Upgrading from P-4 1.7GHZ Keith Perry Overclocking 6 September 23rd 03 02:45 AM