Win2k or XP Pro?

Old December 3rd 03, 04:40 PM
R Thompson

Default Win2k or XP Pro?

I have a recently rebuilt maching, GA-7VAX, AMD Barton 2500XP, 512
Ram, 480W p/s, and newer HD's, but an old Radeon 7200 and Win98 SE.
I'm about ready to buy either a 9600 Pro or 9800 depending on prices
after x-mas is over. I've been using Win98 for years and have had
good luck with it, but...

When moving up to a new ATI card it seems I would get better overall
performance from updating my OS as well. I have Win2k Pro but haven't
installed it yet. Is 2k good for gaming or should I just bite the
bullet and move up to XP Pro? I've read 2k isn't always stable with
gaming, is that true?
I use the computer for low end office stuff and heavy-duty gaming.

I have a Toshiba laptop with XP Home with a P4 1.6 and it runs so-so,
lost speed after the SP1 update. My old machine with a T-Bird 900 ran
faster than the P4 laptop, so I'm concerned about how XP may drag down
overall performance.

Any thoughts appreciated.
Old December 3rd 03, 05:00 PM
JAD

If you have 2000 now and its legit then use it.....however the rumors about OS's being unstable in gaming is unfounded...mostly
driver issues or years of hardware upgrades and no fresh install of the OS. XP is as good as its drivers, just like any OS, and this
will become an issue, in awhile, as the support for 2k is dropped.

Laptop issues of 'speed' I found are related to the huge amounts of background programs running... mucho power related stuff. and
'not so great' memory amounts.

Old December 3rd 03, 06:58 PM

"R Thompson" wrote in message
om...

When moving up to a new ATI card it seems I would get better overall
performance from updating my OS as well. I have Win2k Pro but haven't
installed it yet. Is 2k good for gaming or should I just bite the
bullet and move up to XP Pro? I've read 2k isn't always stable with
gaming, is that true?

Windows 2000 is the best OS Microsoft have ever produced. With Windows XP
they simply took 2000 and bloated it by building in things like messenger,
cd burning and unzipping apps, movie maker and all kinds of other crap. All
kinds of stuff that takes up system resources and that you have better apps
for anyway.

People who way that XP is faster are talking BS. Both OSs are built on the
same kernel and use the same model for the device drivers. Just think of
Win2K as XP lite

XP looks pretty tho..

Old December 3rd 03, 08:11 PM
stu

People who way that XP is faster are talking BS. Both OSs are built on the
same kernel and use the same model for the device drivers. Just think of
Win2K as XP lite
XP looks pretty tho..

I'm a Win2k user and have been for 3 years, I always sing the praises of
Win2k and I think it's a good reliable OS, but when it come to games I have
found that WinXP is actually faster, and that is using a WinXP default
installation without shutting down any services!!

I think it's all down to drivers.

Even when I tweak Win2k, I still cannot meet the performance (gameswise
ONLY) of WinXP.

Don't take my word for it, read the MANY technical online reviews that say
WinXP **IS** faster/better for games.

---

Old December 4th 03, 01:40 PM
neopolaris

R Thompson wrote:
[...]

I have 5 machines. Four of them are "game ready". 3 of them have XP Pro
and one has W2kPro. Needless to say, MY machine has W2kPro.

Old December 4th 03, 09:53 PM
J.Clarke

On Fri, 05 Dec 2003 00:24:15 -0500
rabid wrote:

win2k pro...I don't have much faith in xp after an install totally
corrupted itself. May be better now that sp1 is out...
As for speed differences, I think they would be negligible...
So you get 280 fps in quake insteal of 320 (even if the speed
difference is true ) its not much of a difference..

Personally I was skeptical about XP, but decided to try it, turns out to
not really be all that bad. Right now I'm trying to decide whether to
move XP to my new machine, get another copy of XP, or put 2K on it (and
before anybody says"pirate" I have for my personal use a ten seat
license for 2K obtained directly from Microsoft).

So far the only crashes I've had with XP have been driver or hardware
problems.

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 08:40:04 -0500, "neopolaris" . wrotf:

R Thompson wrote:
[...]

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)