Networking Blues Need ANY Help

Old December 14th 03, 11:36 AM
Pedro

Default Networking Blues Need ANY Help

over the past 2 weeks i have been having problems with networking.
I have Broadband via a D-Link DSL504 ADSL 4por Router.
Connected to the router ar 2 pcs running windows XP Pro.

Problem 1.
If i change ANY settings to the netwrk card properties it does something to
screw up my internet, when it gets in that state only one computer can be on
at a time to access the internet. The Router can see both pcs and both pcs
can see each other just about (see problem 2). But if both are on at the
same time both pcs refuse to 'see' the internet.
Switch one PC or the Other on and its all great and works.

Problem 2.
i have both pcs directly connected via a Firewire cable for nice fast file
transferring. Recently over the past few months if i try to access a
resourse on the other computer windows will just sit there and do nothing
for 5-10 mins then suddenly spring into life and be fine. It never used to
be like this it used to be virtually instant.

Over the past week i have reinstalled Windows XP Pro umpteen times and still
the problem persists.

PC 1
AMD Athlon Xp 2800
ASUS A7N8X Deluxe Rev 2 mobo
512MB RAM

PC 2
AMD Athlon 1.333GHz
ASUS A7A266 Rev 1.03 mobo
256MB ram

Both PCs have the most current BIOS.

ANY help appreciated to stop me getting violent with my PCs!
TIA

Pedro

to reply by email remove the NOSPAM and replace the DOT with a dot "."

Old December 15th 03, 09:15 AM
Rich @ Ultima Thule

"Pedro" wrote in message
[...]

I am not sure what you mean by "change any settings", if its all working
then you shouldnt need to change anything??

Have you tried giving them static IP addresses, i.e. if your router takes
192.168.0.1 as its address (default on most) then give your PC's 192.168.0.2
and 192.168.0.3, gateway would need to be 192.168.0.1 and DNS depends on how
you have your router set up (forwarding or not), but if forwarding is
enabled then again 192.168.0.1, if not then use your ISP's DNS settings.

It might be worth a shot if DHCP on your router inst assigning IP's propely
and they are recieving the same IP or not picking up DNS settings or
something equally strange.

Problem 2 sound like a result of problem one, possibly something to do with
the PC's not knowing which interface to access each other on (firewire or
network). I would reccomend sorting out the network first and disabling the
firewire connections. Once the network is operational then try the firewire
connection.

home networking 123xxxxx General 2 November 23rd 03 05:23 PM
ICS / Wireless Networking Peter Cavan General 13 November 16th 03 09:41 AM
Networking a Condo Gerard Pauli General 2 October 27th 03 10:39 PM
Good deal on Wireless networking kony General 1 October 2nd 03 06:45 PM
Windows XP Networking Jim Turner General 3 August 18th 03 04:58 AM