Best online store for micro PC parts

Old June 18th 04, 11:53 PM
dg

Default Best online store for micro PC parts

I need to build a very small PC that has 1 full size 5.25" drive bay. Does
anybody know of an online store that specializes in tiny PC parts?

Thanks!
--Dan

Old June 19th 04, 02:53 AM
Dave C.

"dg" wrote in message
news
I need to build a very small PC that has 1 full size 5.25" drive bay.

Does
anybody know of an online store that specializes in tiny PC parts?

Thanks!
--Dan

Are you looking at SFF, or something even smaller? Look at the Antec Aria,
and keep in mind that most SFF systems are smaller, but require a
proprietary mainboard. -Dave

Old June 19th 04, 11:56 PM
dg

I am not exactly sure which size I am looking for, I need to learn about the
current hardware a bit. I just know I want it as small and quiet as can be
and I need 1 single 5.25" bay for a removable hard drive tray, 2 PS2 ports,
and a nic. I have been looking at the Shuttle systems on zipzoomfly, they
have some that would fit the need pretty well but I am always open to
suggestions if there is something smaller or better in other ways.

Which form factor is most popular and most likely to be supported in the
future?

Thanks,
--Dan

"Dave C." wrote in message

news

Old June 20th 04, 03:57 AM
Dave C.

"dg" wrote in message
om...
I am not exactly sure which size I am looking for, I need to learn about

the
current hardware a bit. I just know I want it as small and quiet as can

be
and I need 1 single 5.25" bay for a removable hard drive tray, 2 PS2

ports,
and a nic. I have been looking at the Shuttle systems on zipzoomfly, they
have some that would fit the need pretty well but I am always open to
suggestions if there is something smaller or better in other ways.

Which form factor is most popular and most likely to be supported in the
future?

Thanks,
--Dan

OK, you should be looking at a mini-tower ATX system with a Seasonic brand
power supply (to keep it quiet). SFF isn't for you. It will support your
hard drive tray just fine, but then where do you put an optical drive? Find
a case that will give you exactly two 5.25" drive bays and then find any ATX
or even micro-ATX format mainboard WITH NO COOLING FAN on the chipset. Most
mainboards now have built-in NIC and (2) PS/2 ports. -Dave

Old June 21st 04, 05:05 PM
dg

Why is SFF not for me?

No permanent optical drive is necessary. I can install an OS using either a
USB CD drive or temporarily using an IDE CD rom drive before installing the
removable hard drive tray. When a small system is the goal, I can do
without an optical drive. This machine will be more of an appliance than a
PC-if everything works out the way I hope.

Thanks,
--Dan

"Dave C." wrote in message

om...