Win XP for XPS 420

Old January 16th 08, 06:41 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Doolittle

Default Win XP for XPS 420

I see DELL doesnt offer XP or VISTA , ast least not on their site its
all VISTA for the XPS 420, I have a DELL Windows Operating system XP
CD that came with my Dim 8400, do you think if the HD was formated,
that the DELL XP cd would work on the XPS 420, anyone tried to Plead
with DELL to install XP on it ?
Thanks
Bingee
Old January 16th 08, 08:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
HDRDTD

Visit the Dell forums on their web site, and look in the XPS Desktop forum.

Right at the top is a message/faq that covers installing XP on a 420.

Right now AFAIK the only Dell's you can get with XP are from the Small
Business web site.

Old January 17th 08, 04:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Will it install? Probably, although things like the little LCD panel
won't work.

Is it legal? Absolutely not.

Old January 18th 08, 09:40 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
NoSpam

I have an XPS 420 with Vista, and I dearly wished that I had been given the
opportunity to purchase it with XP. If you take on the challenge yourself,
it may be difficult to find XP drivers for the hardware that Dell puts into
the XPS 420.

Robert

Old January 18th 08, 10:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 13:41:25 -0500, Doolittle wrote:

I see DELL doesnt offer XP or VISTA , ast least not on their site its
all VISTA for the XPS 420, I have a DELL Windows Operating system XP
CD that came with my Dim 8400, do you think if the HD was formated,
that the DELL XP cd would work on the XPS 420, anyone tried to Plead
with DELL to install XP on it ?
Thanks
Bingee

Not legal. Moral? Your call. It should work although you should
make sure you can find drivers for all the hardware, including 420
specific (like the gimmicky display on the unit itself).

Curious though -- why don't you like Vista on that particular machine?
Old January 18th 08, 11:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert[_8_]

1. Blue screens of death
2. Windows Update does not work correctly
3. Screen saver is erratic
4. Does not always RESTART {restart, shutdown, etc.}
5. Mouse behavior is erratic
6. System hangs up requiring HARD reboot

....for starters....

Robert

Old January 19th 08, 01:56 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding

Nospam wrote:
I have an XPS 420 with Vista, and I dearly wished that I had been given the
opportunity to purchase it with XP. If you take on the challenge yourself,
it may be difficult to find XP drivers for the hardware that Dell puts into
the XPS 420.

Have you looked into this - I'd guess the opposite.
Old January 19th 08, 01:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tony Harding

Robert wrote:
1. Blue screens of death
2. Windows Update does not work correctly
3. Screen saver is erratic
4. Does not always RESTART {restart, shutdown, etc.}
5. Mouse behavior is erratic
6. System hangs up requiring HARD reboot

...for starters....

Oy! Assuming this is a new system & you're running the Vista install
from Dell, have you considered using Cntl+F11 to restore the box to the
factory configuration? That's a whole to be malfunctioning, IMHO.
Old January 19th 08, 02:14 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008 18:44:29 -0500, "Robert" wrote:

1. Blue screens of death
2. Windows Update does not work correctly
3. Screen saver is erratic
4. Does not always RESTART {restart, shutdown, etc.}
5. Mouse behavior is erratic
6. System hangs up requiring HARD reboot

...for starters....

Robert

Is this your experience? I am sorry but I find it hard to believe,
however based on what you installed experiences may vary.

I have 3 PCs right now running Vista. They are all stable. I did
have one very disconcerting instance in which my program uninstall
information became corrupted but that was an isolated incident and was
not necessarily due to Vista.

I don't have any PC though with 1GB of RAM.

In over a year, I have had maybe 5 blue screens of death. Windows
update has never had a problem although I wish it wouldn't give me
Windows Defender updates because I don't use that. I use a blank
screen saver and have never had any problems. Mouse behavior has
always been stable, and my system has only hung a few times.

I don't know why your experience is so different.

I say this being vested in Vista doing poorly. I have Apple stock and
the worse Vista's reputation is the better the chance of higher market
share for Apple.

Vista disappoints because it's not what it could have been. It
disappoints because it requires more hardware to run well.
Old January 19th 08, 01:29 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert[_8_]

Well, lets see what software that you consider incompatible. I have
installed the following memory resident programs:
- Zonealarm
- AVG
- Super Anti spyware
- process explorer (necessary to try and solve problems)
- startup monitor

I have also disabled:
- Google Desktop (this seems to have stop the blue screen of death)
- Windows Defender

These mods make the XPS420 configuration to be the same as my other XP
machines, which are working perfectly.

Robert

"WSZsr" wrote in message
Why blame these problems on Vista? Either you've created this mess by
installing non-compatible software or the system is defective.