DIM 9200 with Vista support SATA drives?

Old November 7th 07, 11:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe

Default DIM 9200 with Vista support SATA drives?

Probably a stupid question- but will my 6 month old DIM 9200 running Vista
Ultimate support SATA drives? I have a 160 gig drive that came with the
DELL. The reason I want a new, huge, probably external hard drive is that
I'm going to be buying a hi def video camera.

Not sure why I'd even want the SATA drive- what's the advantage?

Joe

Old November 8th 07, 12:58 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe[_12_]

"Joe" wrote in message news:55sYi.6629$kH.3258@trndny04...
Probably a stupid question- but will my 6 month old DIM 9200 running Vista
Ultimate support SATA drives? I have a 160 gig drive that came with the
DELL. The reason I want a new, huge, probably external hard drive is that
I'm going to be buying a hi def video camera.

Not sure why I'd even want the SATA drive- what's the advantage?

Joe

Hi Joe! The DIM 9200? That's the machine I have at the mo and it has the
satas built in, but I wish now I had got ATA drives instead. The satas are
supposed to be faster than ATA, but I can't see the speed difference to be
honest.
If you're adding an external drive housing, I don't think it'll matter
whether it's got an ATA/IDE drive in it or a SATA drive, as connecting
through the USB ports, you'd never know which drive was in it.

All the best.

The 'other' Joe.

Old November 8th 07, 01:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe

So, the advantages of SATA, whatever they are, are irrelevant if it's an
external drive? Do they all use USB or do some use firewire?

Joe

. uk...

Old November 8th 07, 01:50 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I've seen or heard of three types of mainstream external drives: USB 2.0,
Firewire and External SATA. USB 2.0 is most prevalent and most popular.

.... Ben Myers

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:28:06 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

So, the advantages of SATA, whatever they are, are irrelevant if it's an
external drive? Do they all use USB or do some use firewire?

Joe

.uk...

Old November 8th 07, 01:55 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

The drive INSIDE the external chassis can be either PATA or SATA, depending on
how the external chassis is made.
I'll leave SCSI disk drives out of the discussion. They are no longer
mainstream, if they ever were. I happen to like SCSI disk drives very much for
their reliability, but that's just me... Ben Myers

On Thu, 08 Nov 2007 13:28:06 GMT, "Joe" wrote:

So, the advantages of SATA, whatever they are, are irrelevant if it's an
external drive? Do they all use USB or do some use firewire?

Joe

.uk...

Old November 8th 07, 09:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
HDRDTD

Actually I'll bet your 9200 supports ONLY SATA drives internally, even the
optical drives. The motherboard doesn't even have an old-fashioned IDE
connector.

The 9200 should be the same system as my XPS410, which is all SATA
internally,

Vista will support all types of drives.

Old November 8th 07, 09:35 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Joe

So, though my drive is in fact SATA II, the second drive- whether internal
or external, doesn't also have to be SATA II?? Presumably it must be
connected to the same cable as the existing drive, like IDE drives?

What's the "sweet point" with drives today, a terabyte? Since an hour of hi
def video is something like 14 gigs- I might go for a TB, unless they're too
expensive. I do have lots of computer mags around but haven't studied them
yet to see which drives to favor and which to avoid- I just like to get the
online view of things to supplement the mags, or vice-versa.

I realize and external will be slower- but the advantage of being able to
move it around might be worth it- I can back up my other computers using
Ghost type software. Or, if I go on a long trip and leave the house alone, I
could move the external to a nice, safe bank vault.

Joe

Old November 8th 07, 10:16 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
pen

Joe wrote:
[...]

I think you've missed something here. The 9200 has provision for 6 SATA
drives, each with its own connector, and there are NO IDE connectors.
Any internal drive must be SATA and will need its own cable. External
drives can be whatever you wish.
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc....htm#wp1104326
Old November 8th 07, 10:17 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
HDRDTD

Your second drive could be either a SATA I or a SATA II drive.

right now I think the sweet spot is a 500gig drive for $90-$130 or so,
750gig are usually around $230 or so, 1T's are a bit more, usually around
$275-$350 or thereabouts.

Old November 8th 07, 11:12 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis

"Joe" wrote in message news:LiLYi.5651$lx.4377@trndny05...

snip

You're over-thinking this one, Joe.

Just go with any SATA internally, and USB externally and you're good to go.