FX 5900 Vs 9600XT

Old November 6th 03, 12:44 PM
J Alex Temple

Default FX 5900 Vs 9600XT

Hi, haven't found too many reviews for plain 5900 (rather than Ultra) and
was wondering if anyone could say how it stacks up against the Radeon
9600XT? I'm presuming 5900 is better than a 5600/5700 Ultra but (here in
UK) Dabs.com have one cheaper than some of those models (unfortunately it's
not v.good with detailed, accurate specs I find)...

However they are also showing the XT at £130 (vs. £160 for the 5900) so that
is v. tempting esp. with HL2 voucher (already have 9500 Pro + 9000 in other
machines, never used Nvidia before).

Hope no-one flames me for mentioning the Dark Side, sorry ;-)

Old November 6th 03, 06:39 PM
Deranged

Hi there,

I think u'll find that the 5900 would out perform the 9600XT, but i'll
have to check on that...

u have to remember that the nvidia cards are faster in the older
games... its the new direct x 9 games that they suffer...

the new 52 driver series is supposed to help... but if ur gonna
upgrade only next year then save ur money and buy the XT with the half
life 2 coupon.. the XT becomes a better option...

the card might be cheaper because its been returned etc.. so please
check if ur buying online

Hope this helps

Deranged

Old November 6th 03, 11:36 PM
J Alex Temple

Thanks to you both guys for replying, may end up going for both (upgrading
the R9000 PC with the XT perhaps). Would still be difficult to compare FX
with it due to motherboard, OS + memory differences but still interesting...