Corrupted vertical mouse cursors once in a while...

Old March 22nd 09, 11:10 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

Default Corrupted vertical mouse cursors once in a while...

Hello!

Ever since I got my MSI R4870-T2D512 OC Radeon HD 4870 512 MB video card
(starting with Catalyst driver v8.12 and using v9.2 today [haven't tried
v9.3 yet]) and other major computer hardware upgrades in the end of
December 2008, I noticed once in a while and rarely randomly, my mouse
cursor gets corrupted. Instead of an arrow, it looks like a vertical
patterned (e.g., eight left right black triangles in a vertical thick
line). Moving the cursor to parts of my screen to change icon does show
other weird vertical patterned and sometimes animated bars (e.g., placed
over a resizing window area). I tried going back to the default Windows
XP Pro. SP3's cursors through its control panel's mouse options, but the
cursors vanished so I had to use my keyboard to change them to something
else to get something.

Most of the times, this problem goes away by itself by doing stuff in
Windows or from rebooting but not today (first time). I think the
corrupted mouse cursor came up overnight as I was asleep, then I have
not seen the corrupted cursors go away since then (seven hours). I might
have to reboot to fix it.

I tried to take screen captures of it, including the corrupted mouse
cursors, with IrfanView but the cursors come up fine! Now, that is
weird. I also tried using DVI and VGA connections, and made no
differences. I don't have a digital camera (will borrow one if needed
later on) to screen capture and upload.

Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening? My detailed
computer specifications can be found he
http://alpha.zimage.com/~ant/antfarm.../computers.txt
(primary/Windows machine). Thank you in advance.
--
"The ant has made himself illustrious; Through constant industry
industrious.; So what? Would you be calm and placid; If you were full of
\ _ / Nuke ANT from e-mail address: NT
( ) or

Old March 23rd 09, 12:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
rms[_2_]

Ever since major computer hardware upgrades in the end of December 2008, I
noticed once in a while and rarely randomly, my mouse cursor gets
corrupted

I wouldn't be blaming the videocard for this, it could be the various
add-in cards as well. Get the latest bios & drivers for your realtek nic
www.realtek.com.tw as well as the tuner cards and audiocard. the latest ms
mouse driver wouldn't hurt either.

rms

Old March 23rd 09, 01:32 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

On 3/22/2009 4:57 PM PT, rms typed:

Ever since major computer hardware upgrades in the end of December 2008, I
noticed once in a while and rarely randomly, my mouse cursor gets
corrupted

I wouldn't be blaming the videocard for this, it could be the various
add-in cards as well. Get the latest bios & drivers for your realtek nic
www.realtek.com.tw as well as the tuner cards and audiocard. the latest ms
mouse driver wouldn't hurt either.

Already did all that. None of them seem to help.
--
"Left right left right we're army ants. We swarm we fight. We have no
home. We roam. We race. You're lucky if we miss your place." --Douglas

Old March 23rd 09, 02:57 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant

On 3/22/2009 3:10 PM PT, Ant typed:

[...]

And finally my cursors came back without rebooting. All I did was set to
dual view, used the computer a little, and then poof. I have seen this
happen in single video mode too.
--
"We are anthill men upon an anthill world." --Ray Bradbury
/\___/\

Old April 20th 09, 03:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
Ant[_2_]

OK, it seems to only happen if I have dual clone mode going (19" LCD
monitor + 13 years old 20" CRT TV). If I have corruptions and go back
to single mode, then the corruption stays. I have to get rid of it
during dual clone setup.

Old December 30th 16, 10:47 AM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati
[email protected]

On Sunday, March 22, 2009 at 4:57:29 PM UTC-7, rms wrote:
Ever since major computer hardware upgrades in the end of December 2008, I
noticed once in a while and rarely randomly, my mouse cursor gets
corrupted

I wouldn't be blaming the videocard for this, it could be the various
add-in cards as well. Get the latest bios & drivers for your realtek nic
www.realtek.com.tw as well as the tuner cards and audiocard. the latest ms
mouse driver wouldn't hurt either.

rms

Ha. I still see this issue in my 2+ months old, updated 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 OS with the same video card and many hardwares (not HDD since it died with its Windows XP Pro SP3). So, it's not the softwares like the OS. Also, I was watching video files in 64-bit MPC-HC.