Moving files - critique this?

Old May 11th 08, 07:17 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Default Moving files - critique this?

"Juan Kerr" wrote in message

Is this a "normal" sort of time for such a data transfer or is there
something I need to tweak?

If you had WinXP I'd say you were in PIO mode. I don't know if this applies
in Vista.

Could you post the Maximum Transfer Rate for your HD, done with HD Tune?

http://www.hdtune.com/

Old May 11th 08, 07:19 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Juan Kerr

On May 11, 12:02*am, "Tom Scales" wrote:

I have to ask, why would you have seven partitions on a 160GB drive? * I
have 3TB drives with one partition.-

c: = operating system only
d: = utilies (Eraser, O&O Defrag etc)
e: = entertainment (Winamp, Nero etc)
f: = office (Office 2007, Adobe Reader)
g: = games
h: = system drivers
i:= updates (any updates to software already on the machine)
j: = images (contains BootIT images of each partition)

Overkill probably but it's the way I've always set my systems
up........makes restoring the system by flashing an image a doddle.

And the system IS patched to SP1.
Old May 11th 08, 10:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

I have to ask, why would you have seven partitions on a 160GB drive? I
have 3TB drives with one partition.

I have 7 partitions on my first HD. 320 GB HD. Most partitions contain an OS
and interestingly I have 5 primary partitions on that HD. Not 4.

Old May 11th 08, 11:25 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Hank Arnold (MVP)

RnR wrote:
On Sat, 10 May 2008 23:02:08 GMT, "Tom Scales"

Old May 11th 08, 12:49 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Geoff

[...]

i was just about to post same thing lol
i do tend to like having 2 partitions on my boot drive
1 for windows (so i can nuke it and start fresh) and the rest for data
Old May 11th 08, 12:54 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Brian K

Is it better to copy a file from one drive to another and then delete
it? Or, is it better to move that file from one drive to another.

Extension to the question:

What if it's a folder of 1,000 files? Is it better to copy the folder
from one drive to another then delete it? Or, is it better to move it
from one drive to another?

Journey,

I can answer your first question. All tests were done on a single HD.

I copied a 4.5 GB file to another partition. And back again.
I moved a 4.5 GB file to another partition. And back again.
I copied a 4.5 GB file to another folder on the same partition.

The times for these procedures were the "same", to within a few seconds.

Old May 11th 08, 12:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

Posted At: Sunday, May 11, 2008 12:58 AM
Posted To: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Conversation: Moving files - critique this?

On Sat, 10 May 2008 09:53:31 -0700 (PDT), Juan Kerr
wrote:

Vostro 1700 laptop.
Vista Business.
1.8 Core 2 Duo.
2GB ram.
160GB hard drive partitioned c: d: e: f: g: h: i: and j:

Attempting to move 2 files:

1 @ 4.02GB
1 @ 1.02 GB

from i: to j:

It takes approx 9 minutes during which the system is generally
unuseable; nothing else going on apart from the normal Vista
processes.

Is this a "normal" sort of time for such a data transfer or is there
something I need to tweak?

All observations gratefully accepted.

Question:

Is it better to copy a file from one drive to another and then delete
it? Or, is it better to move that file from one drive to another.

Extension to the question:

What if it's a folder of 1,000 files? Is it better to copy the folder
from one drive to another then delete it? Or, is it better to move it
from one drive to another?

Doesn't matter. Move is just a Copy and Delete, Windows just does it
for you.

Old May 11th 08, 01:01 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Tom Scales

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold
Microsoft MVP
Windows Server - Directory Services

He clarified that it was all partitions on the 160GB drive. To each his
own .

Lots of the partitions were partitions I have on my server, not my local
machine, so I'm not that different, other than location.