Looking for an External DVD-CD writer

Old December 17th 07, 11:04 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_6_]

Default Looking for an External DVD-CD writer

HAve a Dimension 8200. And i am looking to find a good external dvd cd
writer unit, still runing usb 1.1 ( plan to replace dell in future ).
Thanks Larry
Old December 18th 07, 01:03 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Why not install an internal one? The Dimension 8200 case should have extra
rails to mount the drive, and the normal CD-DVD drive cable has two connectors.
This is a very easy install, and the resulting operation would be far superior
and more reliable to a slow external USB 1.1. Catches less dust, too.

.... Ben Myers

Old December 18th 07, 01:04 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Larry" wrote in message
36...
HAve a Dimension 8200. And i am looking to find a good external dvd cd
writer unit, still runing usb 1.1 ( plan to replace dell in future ).
Thanks Larry

zipzoomfly.com:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...list=bi zrate

newegg.com:

There are probably more out there, I just grabbed these two models for
reference. Both online vendors are excellent, btw.

Stew

Old December 18th 07, 05:32 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Larry[_6_]

"S.Lewis" wrote in
:

"Larry" wrote in message
36...
HAve a Dimension 8200. And i am looking to find a good external dvd
cd writer unit, still runing usb 1.1 ( plan to replace dell in
future ). Thanks Larry

zipzoomfly.com:
http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/Produc...de=10007116&pr
odlist=bizrate

newegg.com:

There are probably more out there, I just grabbed these two models for
reference. Both online vendors are excellent, btw.

Stew

Thanks for the info guys!. Probably get a new system in the next 6 or 7
months i will wait to see vista shakes out , an then i will pass this to
my nieces kids.

Larry
Old December 18th 07, 05:36 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

an external dvd writer on usb 1 is not viable. it would take hours to
record a 4.7gb disc with usb 1.1.
you only reasonable, and more economical option is to purchase an internal
dvd recording drive.
consider the expense a throw away as the internal drive required for the
dimension 8200 is parallel ata (pata) type and most any new compter you
purchase will use serial ata (sata) type drives. i suggest the $35 drive
below and installing tit in place of your current cd drive (simply removing
the existing cd drive and replacing it with this one)...
note: the less expensive ones on newegg don't come with the dvd burning
software that is required to make use of the recording feature of the drive.
here are the instructions on how to physically install a drive inside of
your computer...
http://support.dell.com/support/edoc...ce.htm#1101572

36...

Old December 18th 07, 11:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Geoff

"Larry" wrote in message
36...
HAve a Dimension 8200. And i am looking to find a good external dvd cd
writer unit, still runing usb 1.1 ( plan to replace dell in future ).
Thanks Larry

are you sure you want an external one
getting an internal one will cuase you less hassle you know

also cheaper to buy internal

Old December 19th 07, 05:15 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:04:46 -0600, Larry wrote:

HAve a Dimension 8200. And i am looking to find a good external dvd cd
writer unit, still runing usb 1.1 ( plan to replace dell in future ).
Thanks Larry

I had an external Iomega DVD / CD burner drive for a while that worked
well for me. I sold it to a friend and she has been using it for a
few years without any problems. I don't necessarily recommend Iomega
-- at the time though I still considered them to be a good company. If
I were to buy one, I'd start at Iomega's site, then go to Amazon and
look at DVD burners and the links to other DVD burners and read the
reviews. In almost all cases it brings me to the best product for my
needs.
Old December 19th 07, 05:35 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

For all practical purposes, the only way for the OP to burn DVDs with an
external burner is to pop in a USB 2.0 card... Ben Myers

Old December 19th 07, 05:45 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Journey

On Wed, 19 Dec 2007 00:35:32 -0500, Ben Myers
wrote:

For all practical purposes, the only way for the OP to burn DVDs with an
external burner is to pop in a USB 2.0 card... Ben Myers

Thanks for correcting me -- I didn't read the initial post very
carefully.
Old December 19th 07, 01:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Christopher Muto

agreed, and installing a usb 2.0 card plus an external dvd writer drive is
more costly, clumbsy, and just as much work as just installing the internal
dvd writer drive as previously sugested...