Memtest errors

Old December 8th 07, 05:28 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Keith

Default Memtest errors

I ran (as a control) MemTest on my Dell Dimension 8200 and recieved memory
errors on a machine without problem.

The reason I am asking is that I recently build a machine that is performing
well, but also has memtest errors.

Should I care about the errors if the machines appear to work?

Dell Dimension 8200: 1.9GHz P4 with 4 sticks 128 Mb RDRAM

Old December 8th 07, 07:00 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Geoff

"Keith" wrote in message
. ..
I ran (as a control) MemTest on my Dell Dimension 8200 and recieved memory
errors on a machine without problem.

The reason I am asking is that I recently build a machine that is
performing well, but also has memtest errors.

Should I care about the errors if the machines appear to work?

Dell Dimension 8200: 1.9GHz P4 with 4 sticks 128 Mb RDRAM

only zero error's will do

Old December 8th 07, 09:06 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Keith" wrote in message
. ..
I ran (as a control) MemTest on my Dell Dimension 8200 and recieved memory
errors on a machine without problem.

The reason I am asking is that I recently build a machine that is
performing well, but also has memtest errors.

Should I care about the errors if the machines appear to work?

Dell Dimension 8200: 1.9GHz P4 with 4 sticks 128 Mb RDRAM

I'd trust the Dell diags MATS test before memtest on that machine.

The diags should be present on your hard disk if the partitions haven't been
altered (F12 at the Dell splash screen, then arrow down to either Dell
diagnostics or 'boot to utility partition').

You can choose 'custom test" and loop the MATS test eternally or for even
just a couple of passes. Select the "extended tests" rather than 'quick
test'.

If the partition is gone from your machine, you can run the same tests from
the Dell Dimension Resource CD (it's bootable, F12 and choose IDE CDROM).

Those diags are also downloadable from support.dell.com .

Stew

Old December 8th 07, 10:23 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Colin Wilson

The reason I am asking is that I recently build a machine that is performing
well, but also has memtest errors.
Should I care about the errors if the machines appear to work?

My Dimension 5150 also gave errors when I threw memtest at it, but it
works flawlessly.

It's a wild guess, but there are two memory testing applications
generally available, memtest and memtest86

http://www.memtest.org
http://www.memtest86.com

It may be that the version you have is old / may not be supported on
the chipset the PC in question uses, but it might be worth trying
whichever one you haven't used to see if they both do the same.
Old December 8th 07, 11:09 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Robert

I think the problem is with MemTest.

I just ran it on a XPS 410, a 530s and a C521 and it reported errors on all
three. All computers run great.

Old December 8th 07, 11:44 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

There are MEMTEST-86 and MEMTEST-86+. I rely on both of them for memory test
and burn in of memory in unknown condition. They work well. Possibly whichever
version you used has trouble with memory timings on RAMBUS memory? Did you run
the latest version(s)? If not, try again. Run both to see if you get the
same sorts of errors.

http://www.memtest86.com/ for MEMTEST-86 3.4.

http://www.memtest.org/ for MEMTEST-86+ 1.70

.... Ben Myers

Old December 8th 07, 11:59 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Our friend Google tells me that there is also a MEMTEST 3.6 that apparently runs
under Windows. Honestly, I would not run a Windows-based diagnostic except as a
last resort. Too many layers of Windows garbage to get in the way. Take
that, billg! Ooooh! I bet that really hurt!

If you are running MEMTEST 3.6, cease and desist for your own sanity. Instead,
run either MEMTEST-86 and/or MEMTEST-86+, both down and dirty
close-to-the-bare-iron Linux diagnostics that boot directly from CD or floppy
media. MEMTEST-86+ also comes in a DOS version. You do not need to know Linux
to run either one. Just boot and run, and look for errors displayed in glaring
red. When satisfied with results, either lotsa errors or no errors after at
least one complete pass, stop.

Too darn many MEMTESTs? Yeah! ... Ben Myers

Old December 9th 07, 04:47 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

Finally, while I was idly doing something else, I set up an old Intel VC820
Pentium 3 RAMBUS motherboard and ran MEMTEST-86 Version 3.4. It ran for no more
than 30 sec, then complained about a zillion memory errors. MEMTEST-86 Version
3.3 ran flawlessly and without revealing any errors.

My conclusion: If you need to test RAMBUS memory, run MEMTEST-86 Version 3.3 for
plausible results and a good burn-in test... Ben Myers

Old December 9th 07, 05:00 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
S.Lewis[_2_]

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
news
Finally, while I was idly doing something else, I set up an old Intel
VC820
Pentium 3 RAMBUS motherboard and ran MEMTEST-86 Version 3.4. It ran for
no more
than 30 sec, then complained about a zillion memory errors. MEMTEST-86
Version
3.3 ran flawlessly and without revealing any errors.

My conclusion: If you need to test RAMBUS memory, run MEMTEST-86 Version
3.3 for
plausible results and a good burn-in test... Ben Myers

Nice work, man.

Unfortunately I killed my only Intel 820 board about two weeks ago. ;-)
There will be no mourning period.

Old December 9th 07, 06:50 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.dell
Ben Myers

I only keep my Intel VC820 board around to use as a RAMBUS tester, 'cause it can
test single sticks, unlike the P4 boards. Every so often, some RAMBUS shows up
at my doorstep. Lately, I've taken to testing it and selling it on eBay. I
also have to sell off my RAMBUS motherboards (Precision 340, Dimension
8200/8250, Intel D850-whatever) before they turn into electronic scrap valued
around a buck a pound... Ben Myers

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 23:00:37 -0600, "S.Lewis" wrote:

news